spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kjarrett5

join:2002-03-30
Northfield, NJ

SB6141 not identifying gigabit router (ASUS RT-N66U)

Just installed a new SB6141. Connections, speeds are fine. Comcast Extreme 50mb service. SB6141's flashing an AMBER light at me indicating a 10/100 WAN connection to the RT-N66U, but that's clearly not the case. Any idea why the SB6141 is doing so? TIA!

-kj-

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
Apparently you are not the only one having Ethernet port speed detection problems with the SB6141:

»SB6141 Link Speed

The only suggestions I can offer are the same as in the above thread; make sure you are using a good cat5e or cat6 Ethernet cable between the modem and the router, and see if you can manually override port speed auto-negotiation for the router's WAN interface.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

kjarrett5

Northfield, NJ
Thanks, I'd seen that thread but not read all the way down, I'll post there.

My SB6121 happily displayed a blue light for WAN port speed with this same router and cable so methinks it's the modem.

Can't figure out where the WAN port speed setting is on my Asus RT-N66U, still looking.

Appreciate the reply.

-kj-

sop15

join:2001-02-11
Bartlett, IL

1 recommendation

Just installed my sb6141. Flashed amber with my existing cable that I was using between the modem and router. I then swapped out that cable and used the cable that came with the 6141 and it immediately went blue. Cables have to have the specs to support gig.

kjarrett5

Northfield, NJ

1 recommendation

said by sop15:

Just installed my sb6141. Flashed amber with my existing cable that I was using between the modem and router. I then swapped out that cable and used the cable that came with the 6141 and it immediately went blue. Cables have to have the specs to support gig.

DINGDINGDINGDING!!! We have a winner!!! Thanks so much!!!

Odd that my Monoprice Cat6 cable was good enough for the SB6121 and the RT-N66U but not the SB6141.

Appreciate your help!!!

-kj-

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
It's not just about being Cat6, it's also the MHz rating.

kjarrett5

Northfield, NJ
said by Johkal:

It's not just about being Cat6, it's also the MHz rating.

Cool, did not know that. Tell me more? Wondering if the Cat6 cable I have coming in from Monoprice will be any better.

Is it always true that Cat6 cables are 'better' than Cat5e?

Thanks, kj

kjarrett5

Northfield, NJ
reply to kjarrett5
This is what I bought:

»www.monoprice.com/myaccount/od.a···=1423910

Was this what I needed?

»www.monoprice.com/products/produ···format=2

Always just thought 6 > 5e.

-kj-

airmax32

join:2013-04-16
Las Vegas, NV
reply to kjarrett5
Its a good thing I did not purchase this

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

reply to kjarrett5
Keep in mind though that ISPs have the ability to customize the light colors if they want to which could throw a wrench into this process if you think you are already good to go and cant figure out what is wrong.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Le Roy
Skillz
Premium
join:2002-05-03
Ocean Springs, MS
reply to kjarrett5
I too have the same issue, only I am using an ASUS RT-AC66U router. Even using the cable that came with the modem it still wont change to blue. Not sure what the deal is.
--
www.tdnclan.com