uniqs
share rss forum feed

ssj4android
Redefining Reality

join:2002-04-14
Wyoming, MI

1 edit

What's with UVerse's Android hate?

As far as I know, you can't watch video through the U-Verse app on a Nexus 7.
A recent STB software update more prominently advertised smartphone apps, which are only available on iOS.
Confusingly, Twonky Beam is a supported app, but the Android version won't work. There's no explicit indication that the Android version won't work, although it isn't listed in the supported devices.

Do they have any plans to stop pretending Android doesn't exist?

mmisek

join:2013-03-03
Cleburne, TX

1 edit
Android™
• HTC Inspire™ 4G
• HTC One X™ 4G
• HTC Vivid™
• LG Escape™
• LG Nitro™
• LG Phoenix™
• LG Thrive™
• LG Thrill™
• MOTOROLA® ATRIX™ 4G
• MOTOROLA® ATRIX 2™
• MOTOROLA® BRAVO™
• Pantech Burst™
• Pantech Discover™
• Pantech Pocket™

Android™ Continued
• Samsung Captivate™
• Samsung Captivate Glide™
• Samsung DoubleTime™
• Samsung Galaxy Appeal™
• Samsung Galaxy Note™
• Samsung Galaxy S3™
• Samsung Infuse™ 4G
• Samsung Note 2™
• Samsung Rugby™
• Sony Ericsson Xperia™ PLAY

Supported devices above.

As for tablets, only iPads are supported at this time. I honestly can't say why or when they will be supported, but my personal opinion is the andriod tablet is not "good" enough.--
Tier II Advanced Tech Support, AT&T U-verse
Fort Worth, Texas

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
reply to ssj4android

Another issue to supporting Android is there are a zillion different partners and not all devices are created equal so it's hard to ensure proper user experience. [We won't even get into the OS customize done by various vendors]

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to ssj4android
Disclaimer: I am a proud owner of many Android devices and Uverse service and it also breaks my heart that ATT won't develop for Android like it does for iOS.

Truth: iOS devices only have one manufacturer, Apple. The only brilliant thing Apple has done over the years is to pressure carriers into accepting the fact that they aren't allowed to change anything on the iOS devices. From a support standpoint, every iOS device is exactly the same (the only real difference is radios).
Think of it from ATT's point of view. You are going to invest more development effort for a platform that you know support for only boils down to two companies. You could train a rhesus monkey to help an idiot get Siri to change the Uverse channel, and if that monkey fails you know the customer is going to get fixed by the genius bar.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to ssj4android
I have a Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8. They have the paid app for video but not the DVR scheduler and remote like on iOS.

Though I can just use Netflix, Vimeo, youtube, etc. on the phone so I don't see paying just for TV access to U-verse.