Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

royal1

join:2013-03-05
New York, NY

CommView WiFi found enemy protocol MNGT/Probe Resp. sent

Hi,
after installing Tamosoft CommView WiFi I analyzed the NW environment in my building and found that my neighbour's wireless AP (on Channel 1) sends packages every 60 sec. to my laptop (on Channel 11 identified with the MAC address) and to other WiFi devices with the protocol "MNGT/Probe Resp".
What type of information he can collect with this type of protocol?
If you need more information I can supply it.
Thank you.
Royal

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

More than likely just a wide open AP broadcasting.

Probe response frame: A station will respond with a probe response frame, containing capability information, supported data rates, etc., when after it receives a probe request frame.

I doubt you have anything to worry about, that would just be normal noise.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

netstumbler?

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to royal1

Try here for the types of frames in 802.11. IIRC, it's the equivalent of "I'm here and this is what I have."

Otherwise, I wouldn't lose too much sleep about it. If you're that paranoid about wireless, shut down your deployment.

Regards

royal1

join:2013-03-05
New York, NY

OK. I read the suggested article and agree.
Netstumbler is like CommView.
According to the statistics tool in CommView my neighbour's AP is only sending packets and not receiving. But it sends these management packets ONLY to two-three stations connected to my AP, broadcasting on a different channel. There are more then 30 hosts and AP in the building, according the statistics tool.
Is there any explanation for this type of "selective broadcasting"?

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

Without access to the other 30hosts in the neighborhood, whos to say they're not getting these same frames as well?

Regards