how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

Problems wiring up series of lights to single pole switch

Hi Guys
I just bought an house that is 57 years old and me n my dad over the weekend was trying to wire up an other light to other lights down in the basement to the original wiring that is connected to single pole switch. But the problem is when we wire in the new light to the light switch the light dont turn off n on. Then on the other side of basement the lights was on an separate light switch to turn on n off the lights but what we want to do is wire all lights together to the one switch instead of wiring up 2 different switches so my question is how do I fix this problem? like totally rewire the whole basement lights or what?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Since you mention two switches, it sounds like you have 3-way circuit. There are many different ways to wire a 3-way circuit. You need to figure out which one of the methods was used to understand how to convert it to just a single switch.

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to treichhart

As cdru said there's tons of ways to do it but if you don't do it right you can hurt someone or burn down your house. It sounds like a job for the pros. Electricity is nothing to play with and if you don't understand how it work that's dangerous!
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

treichhart

reply to treichhart

see there is total of 7 lights total on one side of the basement there is 3 lights and other side of basement is the other 3 then we are adding other light. So basically I dont want 2 switches I only want one switch to power the 7 lights. What you showed me cdru is not what I want.

I also want to add to this is that the original wire is 14/2 setup that means only white and black and no ground wire setup.

These lights I have is the pull chain light setup also.

North Reading, MA
reply to treichhart

You just hook them up in parallel. Most likely you'll wire nut the incoming and outgoing black/white wires then add an extra black/white to hook to the light. That way you'll have 1 switch that controls as many lights as you want.
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to treichhart

Call a pro - it should be simple to do, and probably won't cost that much. You should not need to "rewire everything".

The unwanted switch needs to be safely disconnected, then the two strings of lights need to be bridged together.

The details of how to do this vary depending on how the circuits were wired. So, the first step is to identify how the two circuits are currently wired. A pro will be able to figure this out quickly. As Seth said - if you get it wrong, you could injure someone or burn the house down.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

treichhart

reply to treichhart

this is the little draw up I did in paint and this is how this currently setup without the new light being installed.

treichhart

reply to treichhart

here is the one switch that is powering the other side basement lights and this is the one we want to remove.

then just have it wired to one switch.

but see if we wire the blacks together like is showing in the picture the lights dont work after we remove the switch it only works if the switch is in place.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to treichhart

So you want all the lights controlled by just that first switch then?

If I understand that right, then the black from your circuit breaker should be connected to only the black going to the first switch. The white wire going to/from the first switch is acting as a black wire here, so you should tape both ends with black electrical tape if that hasn't been done already. Then join that white-taped-black wire from the switch to the black wires going out to all the lights. Also join all the white wires together (except the one from the switch).

At the second switch, just remove it and join the wires: white to white and black to black.

treichhart

We tried removing the second switch and wire up the lights white to white and black n black it dont work at all. So are plan of attack is rewire up the lights like the proper way of doing it instead of this wacked up setup they have now.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to treichhart

If it didn't work at all after removing that switch, then there's something else going on, either before that switch or after.

Check the first junction (where the power comes from the panel and out to the first switch) and make sure it's wired the way I described.

North Reading, MA

1 recommendation

reply to treichhart

Were you ever able to figure this out?