Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Threz

join:2011-02-02
reply to HiVolt

Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers

said by HiVolt:

Hey, not as bad as I thought it would be, for ATPIA...

I wonder though, for the 150 tier, the price gap between 300 & unlimited is huge. There may be some users who will want a bit more than 300, but not unlimited.

It would be nice if there was an intermediate usage option or two, perhaps 400 & 500gb.

Unlimited is nice, but at this price I doubt you will have many people going for it, so it might be a good idea to offer a few extra packages in between.

You could always go for the 300G package and then pay overages (staying at $0.50/G?)

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Pleasantly surprised!
Looks like I might stay on cable I'll definitely be moving up in speed, but what do I move to? 45/4 or maybe even 150/10.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Threz
said by Threz:

You could always go for the 300G package and then pay overages (staying at $0.50/G?)

Most people don't like overcharges, one way or another. You got a package you know what your limit is, you stay within it. Same bill every month.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Doeboye

join:2006-11-07
Canada
reply to TSI Marc
Any idea on modem options to support the 150/10 tier? My 6120 is only rated for 100mbps (According to Motorolla's product sheet).

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Hey, not as bad as I thought it would be, for ATPIA...

I wonder though, for the 150 tier, the price gap between 300 & unlimited is huge. There may be some users who will want a bit more than 300, but not unlimited.

It would be nice if there was an intermediate usage option or two, perhaps 400 & 500gb.

Unlimited is nice, but at this price I doubt you will have many people going for it, so it might be a good idea to offer a few extra packages in between.

I'm sure others will offer something better, I'm fine with that.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

darrylr

join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON
reply to Doeboye
I guess you'll actually be able to track usage with aggregated so thats why 2-8 is unlimited. That will be nice for the capped accounts. I prefer to never have to worry.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
said by darrylr:

I guess you'll actually be able to track usage with aggregated so thats why 2-8 is unlimited. That will be nice for the capped accounts. I prefer to never have to worry.

yep. I also want to do a two month rolling average type thing.. but I haven't figure that part out yet.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Threz

join:2011-02-02
said by TSI Marc:

yep. I also want to do a two month rolling average type thing.. but I haven't figure that part out yet.

Ooh, rolling average would be great! Though, I doubt I go over the 300G as it is now...

da_guy2

join:2003-06-10
Kanata, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Wow... presently surprised I was expecting it to go up a lot more than that. Gonna make the decision between DSL and Cable a lot harder. Can't wait to see the bell offerings now

lucidt

join:2010-12-05
reply to TSI Marc
These rates are definitely manageable. Might just bump up to the 35/3 unlimited when the time comes.

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to TSI Marc

Congestion

n00b question: Would aggregated TPIA mean a fast and effective resolution to the congestion issues? eg. McNicoll

Cuz if so, then 25/2 300 or 35/3 300 seem decently priced for someone like me.

P.S. I'm glad I don't live in Cogeco-land.

--
Everything Apple

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

said by Eug:

n00b question: Would aggregated TPIA mean a fast and effective resolution to the congestion issues? eg. McNicoll

Cuz if so, then 25/2 300 or 35/3 300 seem decently priced for someone like me.

Depends where the problem is. If it's the TSI links at your POI (McNicoll in your case) then yes, aggregated will fix it. If it's your local node, it won't make any difference.

tedrampart

join:2011-12-13
London, ON
reply to TSI Marc

hmm very interesting.. I'll definitely be considering upping to 150/10 .. if I did that I could actually be able to swap tiffs and raw files with my photography and video buddies for collaborations! dream come true. look forward to when this gets implemented..

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Pretty good! Bring on ATPIA!

Slam_83

join:2002-09-08
Oshawa, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Hey Marc,

Just wondering when Cable will be available in Oshawa. I remember awhile back you said Cable should be available in Oshawa around March.

Thanks

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Marc
Really good news Marc. This is better than I expected when I saw the CRTC decision. Thank you.

Couple questions if you get the chance:

1) Old-world tier migration...I assume 18/1 -> 25/2 and 28/1 -> 35/3 automatically when a customer's POI is switched over to aggregated? What if a customer wants to go higher or lower when that occurs? If we're given notice a month before a POI switch, I imagine quite a few 28/1 customers might choose to go directly to 25/2 or 45/4, avoiding the need to do 2 tier changes.

2) Will the billing system have any trouble moving someone's referral discounts when they switch to the new tiers?

Thanks again sir.

c_gadfly

join:2008-05-23
reply to TSI Marc
So once 18/0.5 and 28/1 go away from TPIA and move to ATPIA, what do they move to?

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON
said by c_gadfly:

So once 18/0.5 and 28/1 go away from TPIA and move to ATPIA, what do they move to?

Beat you to it by 22 seconds! Cross-post win!

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada
reply to The Mongoose

Re: Congestion

Respectfully . . .

Start is offering 350 GB usage at 45/4 for $59.95
Price per GB is 0.17

Teksavvy is offering 300 GB at 45/4 for $54.95
Price per GB is 0.18

The difference is $5 for an extra 50 GB.

To get that extra 50 GB from Teksavvy, at $0.50/GB, I'd be spending an extra $25 (instead of $5). I'd like to see Teksavvy offer something that's more competitive. Going from 28/1 (or 35/3) to 45/4 should see a bump in usage caps, imo.

That said, it's great that Teksavvy still differentiates its service by offering unlimited.

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON
said by Webslingerac:

Respectfully . . .

Start is offer 350 GB usage at 45/4 for $59.95
Price per GB is 0.17

Teksavvy is offering 300 GB at 45/4 for $54.95
Price per GB is 0.18

The difference is $5 for an extra 50 GB.

To get that extra 50 GB from Teksavvy, at $0.50/GB, I'd be spending an extra $25 (instead of $5). I'd like to see Teksavvy offer something that's more competitive. Going for 28/1 (or 35/3) to 45/4 should see a bump in usage caps, imo.

Totally a valid view, but there will also be those (like me) who tend to average 100 GB/month....of the 2 plans you listed, I would pick the TSI one every time, the 50GB bump is worth nothing to me.

It makes you wonder how much customization is optimal. Too few plans and we get a situation like this where you don't like the TSI option and I don't like the Start one...too many plans and I imagine the complexity at TSI's end gets difficult to manage.

c_gadfly

join:2008-05-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to The Mongoose

said by The Mongoose:

Beat you to it by 22 seconds! Cross-post win!

I know... KKaWing beat both of us as he asked a little earlier in a post, but I thought it was worth repeating as there was no answer.
said by KKaWing:

Which way would existing 28 customers be bumped? To 35 or 25? Are we going to be able to pick?

Edit: wanted to qoute the 18 and 28 speeds not existing when moved to agg.

byebye_cable

join:2010-01-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

Will the billing system have any trouble moving someone's referral discounts when they switch to the new tiers?

If there are referral discounts - I've been missing out. Checking TSI site..

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON
reply to c_gadfly
KKaWing you magnificent bastard. Didn't even see it.

I'm 90% sure it'll be 18 -> 25 and 28 -> 35 but the idea of chocie is interesting.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to byebye_cable
said by byebye_cable:

said by The Mongoose:

Will the billing system have any trouble moving someone's referral discounts when they switch to the new tiers?

When people sign up online, the referral discounts don't happen. You should call in, as well as the people you referred to get your discount.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
reply to Webslingerac

TSI's pricing may be more realistic, as Rocca at Start has said they're largely eating the costs today.

As well, I don't believe Start has actually finalized their numbers yet.

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON
reply to byebye_cable

said by byebye_cable:

said by The Mongoose:

For cable it's traditionally been $1/month for each referral (after tax). I've got 5 happy TSI customers kicking me sweet, sweet referrals.

Acanac is hard-core about it...they offer free internet for life to anyone who gets 10 referrals signed up, though with more restrictions than TSI (all the referral customers have to buy the same tier as the person who refers them).

Garneac

join:2011-05-01
Brampton, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Damn but these rates are awesome. Very surprised—and grateful, too.

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada

1 edit
reply to The Mongoose

said by The Mongoose:

Totally a valid view, but there will also be those (like me) who tend to average 100 GB/month

Okay (and this is an honest question), but aren't you in the minority of users at Teksavvy who would use 45/4? That is, wouldn't most be using close to 300 GB? I have no statistics to support my thinking. It's just that I figure a number of us moved to Teksavvy to have higher cap space.

I suppose marketing people at Teksavvy have access to a lot of usage information that I'm not privy to.

And, granted, there are times when I only use up to 100GB per month as well or even less (but sometimes I'm suspect I come close to 300). I dunno. I really would prefer to support Teksavvy, but that Start offer seems a little more attractive to me.

tross

join:2010-06-11
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc

Will anything happen to the people who were "grandfathered" on 3M/256k, since the rates for 6M/256k are the same as what the 3M/256k costs?

If I want to upgrade to 6/256k now, will I have to pay a change fee?

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON
reply to Webslingerac

said by Webslingerac:

Okay (and this is an honest question), but aren't you in the minority of users at Teksavvy who would use 45/4? That is, wouldn't most be going up near 300 GB? I have no statistics to support my thinking. It's just that I figure a number of us moved to Teksavvy to have higher cap space.

Granted, there are times when I only use up to 100GB per month as well (but sometimes I go up to 350). I dunno. I really would prefer to support Teksavvy, but that Start offer looks a little more attractive to me.

This is a totally legitimate question, and I'm not sure either. I tend to think that as much as there certainly are 45/4 users who are going to be rocking well over 300GB/month, the majority wouldn't.

But just like you I'm totally going on a guess based on anecdotal experience...ie a couple of my big-downloading friends who say they max out at 250GB/month. I could be miles off. I wonder if there's any information out there on this sort of thing, I might try to dig something up just out of interest.