how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DigitalRain

@teksavvy.com
reply to TypeS

Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers

The government should have pointed a gun to their temples and threaten to take their infrastructure away if they don't upgrade to the standards that exist elsewhere in the developed world.

Does anyone else find it backwards that the sale and distribution of alcohol -- a consumer good that would operate within a framework of perfect competition if left unregulated -- is controlled by the government but that the quality of any given neighbourhood's cable and copper infrastructure is largely determined by its impact on Bell's shareholder value? Essential infrastructure should be owned by the state as an agent of the people, and its stewards ought to be subject to democratic accountability rather than to shareholder and profit margin accountability. As long as we have the right consumer and labour protections, we ought to let the private sector handle consumer goods. Never going to happen when our governments are too busy dismantling Statistics Canada, bouncing around from scandal to scandal, helping arms makers peddle more of their crap to Saudi Arabia, and of course, sitting on their worthless neocon asses doing nothing while oligarchs wrest control of the CRTC and pervert its agenda to serve their own greed.

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
reply to bbhog
The 3/256 was replaced with 6/256 at the same prices - just have to call in and ask for the upgrade for a one time $5 fee. The tentative aggregated prices are the same as the current prices so not much point staying with 3/256.

FTTHTechie

@axxent.ca
reply to TSI Marc
6/0.256 mbps (TPIA & ATPIA)
25 Gigs - $24.95
300 Gigs - $30.95
Unlimited - $40.95

18/0.512 mbps (TPIA)
300 Gigs - $39.95
Unlimited - $54.95

Same as below for the 28/1 bumping to 25/2.

25/2 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
300 Gigs - $39.95
Unlimited - $59.95

"28/1 mbps (TPIA)
300 Gigs - $46.95
Unlimited - $61.95"

Since the 35/3 replaces the 28/1 why not bump the speeds to the 35/3 for users already on the 28/1. Check Rogers press release they outlined that the 35/3 replaces the 28/1 so it only makes sense to bump the speed as 28/1 will be discontinued (Rogers already discontinued it in favor of the 35/3 plan Dec 2012).

35/3 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
300 Gigs - $49.95
Unlimited - $79.95

45/4 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
300 Gigs - $54.95
Unlimited - $99.95

"150/10 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
300 Gigs - $84.95
Unlimited - $219.95"

While the 300GB is more attractive the Unlimited plan on ATPIA is simply absurd. A FTTH plan from Sasktel at 260/30 at $139.95 is much more attractive. Even the Bell Aliant 260/30 plan (FTTH) is $249.95 but at nearly 110/20 more Down/Up. It simply doesn't make any sense.

Coupled with the fact that Cable is oversold and congested and also is shared bandwidth I don't see how that plan can be sold for Unlimited bandwidth at that price. Even the MTS plan for $280 FTTH is Unlimited 250/30 on GPON with much less subscribers per split. It just seems backward to pay that much for Cable even if it is FTTN when you can get FTTH equivalents with much better download/upload speed (albeit in Saskatechwan/Manitoba/Maritime Provinces).

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by FTTHTechie :

While the 300GB is more attractive the Unlimited plan on ATPIA is simply absurd. A FTTH plan from Sasktel at 260/30 at $139.95 is much more attractive. Even the Bell Aliant 260/30 plan (FTTH) is $249.95 but at nearly 110/20 more Down/Up. It simply doesn't make any sense.

Coupled with the fact that Cable is oversold and congested and also is shared bandwidth I don't see how that plan can be sold for Unlimited bandwidth at that price. Even the MTS plan for $280 FTTH is Unlimited 250/30 on GPON with much less subscribers per split. It just seems backward to pay that much for Cable even if it is FTTN when you can get FTTH equivalents with much better download/upload speed (albeit in Saskatechwan/Manitoba/Maritime Provinces).

Aside from the fact that the CRTC is letting Rogers get away with it or something because they says no to speed matching due to Teksavvy using IPOI, there's also this, which I'm getting flamed for.

»[Cable] Unfair $5 Cost for Rogers Speed Change..

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to 34764170
I'm far from the only one experiencing this.

»www.zdnet.com/ssd-infant-mortali···0003945/

17% of respondants had SSD drives fail in the first 6 months.

Who do you know of that have 10k SSD drives in active daily operation with failure rates on the same order as HDD's? I'm really curious to know.

EHTL

join:2002-10-31
Canada
reply to koreyb
said by silverchris:

I think though they should be able to move people who request the change to wave the fee if there is one to transition.

TSI should move the existing customers to the new plan automatically as long as the customers have compatible modems. The $5 wouldn't even cover the extra manpower required to handle the calls.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by EHTL:

said by silverchris:

I think though they should be able to move people who request the change to wave the fee if there is one to transition.

TSI should move the existing customers to the new plan automatically as long as the customers have compatible modems. The $5 wouldn't even cover the extra manpower required to handle the calls.

TSI isn't charging $5 and keeping it. They -pay- that right back out to Rogers to actually have the speed changes done. It's not reasonable that TSI just eat $5 x the number of affected customers for free.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla See Profile
Aside from the fact that the CRTC is letting Rogers get away with it or something because they says no to speed matching due to Teksavvy using IPOI, there's also this, which I'm getting flamed for.

»[Cable] Unfair $5 Cost for Rogers Speed Change..

:

So you posted a victimization accusation in Start's forums, brushed off, especially since you agreed that the charge is bogus from Rogers and the CRTC. But here are you crying about being a "victim of flaming" again. People diagreed with you, in fact a lot disagreed with you and made valid points for their understanding of the $5 charge, yet can't get over that not many wants to get their pitchforks with you over being charged the cost of Starbucks coffee for a network change.

Hey Marc, here's a thought, since some people think you should be like rocca & Start, do away with 24/7 unlimited and lower the caps on everything under 45/4 and dont take people's beloved $5.

Nemo888

join:2005-12-25
Canada
reply to TSI Marc
45/4 looks good to me. How soon can I get it??????

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Hey Marc, here's a thought, since some people think you should be like rocca & Start, do away with 24/7 unlimited and lower the caps on everything under 45/4 and dont take people's beloved $5.

Then everyone would be taking the pitchforks to geokilla.

Kokuei

join:2010-03-23
reply to TSI Marc
Will the people who use 3mbit/s currently get bumped to 6mbit/s?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
said by Kokuei:

Will the people who use 3mbit/s currently get bumped to 6mbit/s?

no. 3meg has been grandfathered for some time.. nothing changes. in fact. the only changes are the new plans.. everything else stays the same.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Kokuei

So I'm still get to pay $30.95 for less than what's currently available for new users? Great...

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
said by Kokuei:

So I'm still get to pay $30.95 for less than what's currently available for new users? Great...

hum.. that's been true for some time now.. we didn't change any pricing at all. You can request a speed change to whatever speed you'd like...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Kokuei

Then what was the point of the grandfather?

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Kokuei:

There was a chance 6/256 would go up in price while 3/256 would stay the same or go up less. Still is a chance but with the current likely posted rates for aggregated 6/256 being the same as 3/256 it is not going to happen anytime soon. Myself I called in and upgraded, 5 minutes on the phone, a $5 fee and a couple days latter am on the 6/256 300GB service.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Kokuei
said by Kokuei:

It wasn't done by us... that speed stopped to exist. all those who signed up for it back then.. just kept going with what they originally signed up for..

the 3meg speed was removed over a year ago... i.e. nothing to do with these latest events
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Kokuei

it wasn't removed over a year ago... I signed up in end of may 2012.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
said by Kokuei:

it wasn't removed over a year ago... I signed up in end of may 2012.

and shortly after, it was removed.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to yabos
said by yabos:

I wish I had known we could have switched modems back then. I purchased my kit in January 2012 and I got a D2 modem. My fault for not noticing it was D2.

Hurray, my own mistake again, my DCM475 IS DOCSIS 3.0 haha :S

Doeboye

join:2006-11-07
Canada
reply to stevey_frac
said by stevey_frac:

Who do you know of that have 10k SSD drives in active daily operation with failure rates on the same order as HDD's? I'm really curious to know.

I'm a big proponent of SSD technology, and this timely article from a technology source that is quite well respected believes that SSDs are significantly more reliable than platter drives.

Though not 10k Solid State Drives, they *have* switched their entire infrastructure over to them:

»www.anandtech.com/show/6824/insi···itecture

Food for thought...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc
Some brands suffer enormously higher failure rates than others. You will have MUCH less trouble with an enterprise-grade Intel drive like the S3700 than you will with an OCZ Vertex.

I consider the "safe" brands to be Intel, Samsung, and Crucial, in that order. Even these sometimes do have issues, but on the whole they're the most reliable. I own a bunch of SSDs now, five Intel from three different generations (G1, G2, 330) and I think the one in my macbook air is a Sandforce from Toshiba (OEM SSDs are normally very reliable but also usually not the fastest), and I've never suffered a failure. For HDDs, on the other hand, well, there was a period where I was having failures every 2-3 months with Maxtor drives. Fail, RMA, fail, RMA, fail, RMA, fail.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

boyer

join:2006-01-16
Midland, ON
reply to TSI Marc
this is great n all, but what about the area's whom cant get cable like where I am here in midland, Ontario? :/

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by boyer:

this is great n all, but what about the area's whom cant get cable like where I am here in midland, Ontario? :/

As in neither Rogers or Cogeco services your area at all, or just no TSI presence there yet?

boyer

Midland, ON
Rogers has been here since they bought out Hunter cable I think that was servicing the town.

Rogers has had cable net here for the last 5+ yrs ..... Everywhere else in Ontario has had TS Cable access granted to them accept for any of us north of Newmarket (Barrie, Orillia, Wasaga beach, Midland & ect).

It quite honestly pisses me off to no extent to be a ts customer whom I feel gets screwed out on things while everyone else gets the cats azz of internet options/speeds. This more so when I look at other competitors / cohorts in the battle vs the big 3 whom actualy say they can offer me all 3 services here in town ...

And I've had NO asurances that the situation in my area will be changing soon enough on the crtc rate thing or what not.

said by TypeS:

said by boyer:

As in neither Rogers or Cogeco services your area at all, or just no TSI presence there yet?

TypeS

London, ON
Check this thread out, they will be lighting up in rest of Roger's Ontario footprint later this month:

»[Cable] ATPIA - Migration Schedule

boyer

Midland, ON
Thanks, but again, I see Barrie & Orillia .... but no Midland on that list ... :/

said by TypeS:

Check this thread out, they will be lighting up in rest of Roger's Ontario footprint later this month:

poipoi

@ecatel.net
said by boyer:

Thanks, but again, I see Barrie & Orillia .... but no Midland on that list ... :/

said by TypeS:

Those aren't cities, those are the remaining (former?) POIs midland is probably connected to Barrie or Collingwood.

boyer

Midland, ON
If I go by the 1 google map .... midland isn't covered from Barrie, Orillia or Collingwood's area's it seems :/

said by poipoi :

said by boyer:

said by TypeS:

Those aren't cities, those are the remaining (former?) POIs midland is probably connected to Barrie or Collingwood.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

1 edit
I believe Midland will be covered by Collingwood's.

Collingwood's POI is like York Mills - a new and surprisingly large POI just outside Collingwood off highway 26 - right off what will be the new bypass.

I do believe Collingwood POI covers Grey county, Bruce county, and Simcoe county areas not covered by Barrie or Orillia - keep in mind not all areas in Grey, Bruce, or Simcoe county are served by Rogers.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP