uniqs
share rss forum feed

Doeboye

join:2006-11-07
Ottawa, ON
reply to stevey_frac

Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers

said by stevey_frac:

Who do you know of that have 10k SSD drives in active daily operation with failure rates on the same order as HDD's? I'm really curious to know.

I'm a big proponent of SSD technology, and this timely article from a technology source that is quite well respected believes that SSDs are significantly more reliable than platter drives.

Though not 10k Solid State Drives, they *have* switched their entire infrastructure over to them:

»www.anandtech.com/show/6824/insi···itecture

Food for thought...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

Some brands suffer enormously higher failure rates than others. You will have MUCH less trouble with an enterprise-grade Intel drive like the S3700 than you will with an OCZ Vertex.

I consider the "safe" brands to be Intel, Samsung, and Crucial, in that order. Even these sometimes do have issues, but on the whole they're the most reliable. I own a bunch of SSDs now, five Intel from three different generations (G1, G2, 330) and I think the one in my macbook air is a Sandforce from Toshiba (OEM SSDs are normally very reliable but also usually not the fastest), and I've never suffered a failure. For HDDs, on the other hand, well, there was a period where I was having failures every 2-3 months with Maxtor drives. Fail, RMA, fail, RMA, fail, RMA, fail.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

boyer

join:2006-01-16
Midland, ON
reply to TSI Marc

this is great n all, but what about the area's whom cant get cable like where I am here in midland, Ontario? :/

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by boyer:

this is great n all, but what about the area's whom cant get cable like where I am here in midland, Ontario? :/

As in neither Rogers or Cogeco services your area at all, or just no TSI presence there yet?

boyer

Midland, ON

Rogers has been here since they bought out Hunter cable I think that was servicing the town.

Rogers has had cable net here for the last 5+ yrs ..... Everywhere else in Ontario has had TS Cable access granted to them accept for any of us north of Newmarket (Barrie, Orillia, Wasaga beach, Midland & ect).

It quite honestly pisses me off to no extent to be a ts customer whom I feel gets screwed out on things while everyone else gets the cats azz of internet options/speeds. This more so when I look at other competitors / cohorts in the battle vs the big 3 whom actualy say they can offer me all 3 services here in town ...

And I've had NO asurances that the situation in my area will be changing soon enough on the crtc rate thing or what not.

said by TypeS:

said by boyer:

As in neither Rogers or Cogeco services your area at all, or just no TSI presence there yet?

TypeS

London, ON

Check this thread out, they will be lighting up in rest of Roger's Ontario footprint later this month:

»[Cable] ATPIA - Migration Schedule

boyer

Midland, ON

Thanks, but again, I see Barrie & Orillia .... but no Midland on that list ... :/

said by TypeS:

Check this thread out, they will be lighting up in rest of Roger's Ontario footprint later this month:

poipoi

@ecatel.net

said by boyer:

Thanks, but again, I see Barrie & Orillia .... but no Midland on that list ... :/

said by TypeS:

Those aren't cities, those are the remaining (former?) POIs midland is probably connected to Barrie or Collingwood.

boyer

Midland, ON

If I go by the 1 google map .... midland isn't covered from Barrie, Orillia or Collingwood's area's it seems :/

said by poipoi :

said by boyer:

said by TypeS:

Those aren't cities, those are the remaining (former?) POIs midland is probably connected to Barrie or Collingwood.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

1 edit

I believe Midland will be covered by Collingwood's.

Collingwood's POI is like York Mills - a new and surprisingly large POI just outside Collingwood off highway 26 - right off what will be the new bypass.

I do believe Collingwood POI covers Grey county, Bruce county, and Simcoe county areas not covered by Barrie or Orillia - keep in mind not all areas in Grey, Bruce, or Simcoe county are served by Rogers.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

the_blob

join:2011-09-09
reply to TSI Marc

Currently Rogers is offering 150 / 10 for $122.99 + $30/month for unlimited usage... Any plans or possibility that Teksavvy will be able to at least match this offer? Teksavvy's current listed 150 unlimited package price is about $70/month more than that...

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

said by the_blob:

Currently Rogers is offering 150 / 10 for $122.99 + $30/month for unlimited usage... Any plans or possibility that Teksavvy will be able to at least match this offer? Teksavvy's current listed 150 unlimited package price is about $70/month more than that...

No. Costs are too high. As a matter of fact, Marc the CEO has even said you're better off on Rogers for the higher tiers as even with the higher price they'll be lucky to break even.

the_blob

That seems incredibly unfair - if Rogers is indeed able to price packages at those rates and turn a profit then there is some kind of gouging going on. I know Rogers is only offering the upgrade til the end of March, but they're getting heavy pressure from Bell's new unlimited Fibe offer as well with even higher speeds.

Hopefully someone can investigate why the cost should be so much higher for TS than Rogers or Bell.

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
reply to Webslingerac

Re: Congestion

Start's website says 45/4 is 300GB.

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to the_blob

there's no investigation needed.. the reason is simple. the new CBB rates, which were just approved.

it's pretty simple, if you want 150/10 unlimited for $150, go to rogers.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to the_blob

Yeah the gouging is called UBB/CBB/whatever the hell they're calling it now. CRTC set out the pricing scheme, approved the rates and now TekSavvy has to balance speed tiers and pricing which except for Bell is now pretty much crap. Rogers owns the network and can set their own rates as wholesale costing is completely separate.

So basically Rogers has the advantage which is too bad because once the aggregated network goes live I was planning on coming back to TekSavvy but now have no viable option for cable except Rogers which is my preferred connection and basically my only choice.

the_blob

Yeah - I mean, I don't require 150 down with massive amounts of data right at the moment, but in about a year Netflix will be streaming 4k movies... 150 down / 300GB won't be enough for for two days let alone an entire month.

On the other hand, I have had such terrible experiences with both Rogers and Bell that I really don't want to be forced to go back to the abuse. But I don't want be left behind and priced out of the modern internet, either.

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada
reply to bjlockie

Re: Congestion

said by bjlockie:

Start's website says 45/4 is 300GB.

Yeah, that changed since I originally posted.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

.....I was planning on coming back to TekSavvy but now have no viable option for cable except Rogers which is my preferred connection and basically my only choice.

I was planning on switching to Tek also but their latest 2 plus day outage fiasco in certain areas changed my mind on that real quick. No amount of lower price rates is worth that level of inconsistent dependability. Sad really, it wasn't even their fault when you get right down to it. One thing about Rogers, it's rock solid 99.9% of the time.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by elitefx:

said by mlerner:

.....I was planning on coming back to TekSavvy but now have no viable option for cable except Rogers which is my preferred connection and basically my only choice.

I was planning on switching to Tek also but their latest 2 plus day outage fiasco in certain areas changed my mind on that real quick. No amount of lower price rates is worth that level of inconsistent dependability. Sad really, it wasn't even their fault when you get right down to it. One thing about Rogers, it's rock solid 99.9% of the time.

It'll be as rock solid once it goes ATPIA since Rogers will be responsible for all the gear and lines back to Toronto, at least this is my understanding with aggregated since TSI doesn't get the pass off until 151 Front Street. Any issue that you would experience locally a Rogers customer would to or any ATPIA customer would experience as well.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gami00

said by Gami00:

there's no investigation needed.. the reason is simple. the new CBB rates, which were just approved.

it's pretty simple, if you want 150/10 unlimited for $150, go to rogers.

Can't IISPs appeal these rates? I asked that in my $5 charge thread, but it got ignored. CRTC can't be that dumb, unless they expect Rogers to be operating at a loss for the higher tiers due to the unlimited usage.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to TypeS

said by TypeS:

It'll be as rock solid once it goes ATPIA since Rogers will be responsible for all the gear and lines back to Toronto, at least this is my understanding with aggregated since TSI doesn't get the pass off until 151 Front Street. Any issue that you would experience locally a Rogers customer would to or any ATPIA customer would experience as well.

Potentially though there is another point of failure since the ATPIA links will terminate to 151 so in the case of a transit or switch failure at 151 for Rogers prem, all ATPIA customers would be offline but Rogers customers would be fine since Rogers has multiple termination and routing points and they could even switch routing depending on where the failure is located.

Anyway, yes there is a chance of outage for one or both to occur, just depends on where.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Can't IISPs appeal these rates? I asked that in my $5 charge thread, but it got ignored. CRTC can't be that dumb, unless they expect Rogers to be operating at a loss for the higher tiers due to the unlimited usage.

The problem is that the current pricing (that we just got) is the RESULT of an appeal by the IISPs. It's a lot harder to appeal an appeal.
--

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

said by TypeS:

Potentially though there is another point of failure since the ATPIA links will terminate to 151 so in the case of a transit or switch failure at 151 for Rogers prem, all ATPIA customers would be offline but Rogers customers would be fine since Rogers has multiple termination and routing points and they could even switch routing depending on where the failure is located.

Anyway, yes there is a chance of outage for one or both to occur, just depends on where.

I'd rather a single aggregate point be failed. If everything is down it'll get fixed sooner than later. If one POI is slow or down Rogers has shown they're happy to take their time.

Re: rogers routing around failure. The York Mills folks would suggest that routing failures aren't something Rogers "just fixes", given their outage time.

l053r

join:2009-03-29
reply to TSI Marc

Good job Teksavvy!!!

One questions.

I have the DOCSIS 3 modem....I currently have the following package...

18/0.512 mbps (TPIA)
300 Gigs - $39.95

Will I be automatically upgraded to the following

25/2 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
300 Gigs - $39.95

Or Will I have to call and pay to get switched to the 25/2 mbps 300 Gigs - $39.95 package?

Thanks

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

said by geokilla:

The problem is that the current pricing (that we just got) is the RESULT of an appeal by the IISPs. It's a lot harder to appeal an appeal.

I don't think that's true. The review was initiated by Rogers according to the CRTC document.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-76.htm

"In this decision, the Commission considers the requests made by Rogers Communications Partnership (RCP) to review and vary certain elements of Telecom Regulatory Policy 2011-703 related to cost inclusions used in the development of rates for RCP’s wholesale high-speed access (HSA) services, as well as other cable carrier wholesale HSA services."

Unless I've got something wrong here?

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON
reply to TSI Marc

I think there should be a 50/10 plan available on cable priced competitively to the 50/10 plan available for DSL. Unlimited plan cable prices are just crazy compared to DSL prices...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc

How can TekSavvy price it the same as DSL when It costs TekSavvy twice as much? If memory serves, it's $10/meg for Bell versus $20/meg for Rogers, or thereabouts.
--

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
reply to l053r

said by l053r:

Good job Teksavvy!!!

One questions.

I have the DOCSIS 3 modem....I currently have the following package...

18/0.512 mbps (TPIA)
300 Gigs - $39.95

Will I be automatically upgraded to the following

25/2 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
300 Gigs - $39.95

Or Will I have to call and pay to get switched to the 25/2 mbps 300 Gigs - $39.95 package?

Thanks

No change. Your current TPIA plan will be the same speed & price. Just grandfathered.

But if you want to move up to one of the newer ATPIA packages you'll have to call in (or myworld or Direct forum) and pay to upgrade your package. Once you do that you can't go back to what you had before on the old TPIA.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

flare4000

join:2011-08-03
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc

Are the activation fees the same or can it be waived if you have cable previously, like start? These prices are tempting and that would make it a done deal for me, that or fttn being available in my area, which doesn't seem likely