geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gami00

Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers

said by Gami00:

there's no investigation needed.. the reason is simple. the new CBB rates, which were just approved.

it's pretty simple, if you want 150/10 unlimited for $150, go to rogers.

Can't IISPs appeal these rates? I asked that in my $5 charge thread, but it got ignored. CRTC can't be that dumb, unless they expect Rogers to be operating at a loss for the higher tiers due to the unlimited usage.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

It'll be as rock solid once it goes ATPIA since Rogers will be responsible for all the gear and lines back to Toronto, at least this is my understanding with aggregated since TSI doesn't get the pass off until 151 Front Street. Any issue that you would experience locally a Rogers customer would to or any ATPIA customer would experience as well.

Potentially though there is another point of failure since the ATPIA links will terminate to 151 so in the case of a transit or switch failure at 151 for Rogers prem, all ATPIA customers would be offline but Rogers customers would be fine since Rogers has multiple termination and routing points and they could even switch routing depending on where the failure is located.

Anyway, yes there is a chance of outage for one or both to occur, just depends on where.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Can't IISPs appeal these rates? I asked that in my $5 charge thread, but it got ignored. CRTC can't be that dumb, unless they expect Rogers to be operating at a loss for the higher tiers due to the unlimited usage.

The problem is that the current pricing (that we just got) is the RESULT of an appeal by the IISPs. It's a lot harder to appeal an appeal.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

said by TypeS:

It'll be as rock solid once it goes ATPIA since Rogers will be responsible for all the gear and lines back to Toronto, at least this is my understanding with aggregated since TSI doesn't get the pass off until 151 Front Street. Any issue that you would experience locally a Rogers customer would to or any ATPIA customer would experience as well.

Potentially though there is another point of failure since the ATPIA links will terminate to 151 so in the case of a transit or switch failure at 151 for Rogers prem, all ATPIA customers would be offline but Rogers customers would be fine since Rogers has multiple termination and routing points and they could even switch routing depending on where the failure is located.

Anyway, yes there is a chance of outage for one or both to occur, just depends on where.

I'd rather a single aggregate point be failed. If everything is down it'll get fixed sooner than later. If one POI is slow or down Rogers has shown they're happy to take their time.

Re: rogers routing around failure. The York Mills folks would suggest that routing failures aren't something Rogers "just fixes", given their outage time.

l053r

join:2009-03-29
reply to TSI Marc
Good job Teksavvy!!!

One questions.

I have the DOCSIS 3 modem....I currently have the following package...

18/0.512 mbps (TPIA)
300 Gigs - $39.95

Will I be automatically upgraded to the following

25/2 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
300 Gigs - $39.95

Or Will I have to call and pay to get switched to the 25/2 mbps 300 Gigs - $39.95 package?

Thanks

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by geokilla:

The problem is that the current pricing (that we just got) is the RESULT of an appeal by the IISPs. It's a lot harder to appeal an appeal.

I don't think that's true. The review was initiated by Rogers according to the CRTC document.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-76.htm

"In this decision, the Commission considers the requests made by Rogers Communications Partnership (RCP) to review and vary certain elements of Telecom Regulatory Policy 2011-703 related to cost inclusions used in the development of rates for RCP’s wholesale high-speed access (HSA) services, as well as other cable carrier wholesale HSA services."

Unless I've got something wrong here?

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON
reply to TSI Marc
I think there should be a 50/10 plan available on cable priced competitively to the 50/10 plan available for DSL. Unlimited plan cable prices are just crazy compared to DSL prices...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc
How can TekSavvy price it the same as DSL when It costs TekSavvy twice as much? If memory serves, it's $10/meg for Bell versus $20/meg for Rogers, or thereabouts.
--

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
reply to l053r
said by l053r:

Good job Teksavvy!!!

One questions.

I have the DOCSIS 3 modem....I currently have the following package...

18/0.512 mbps (TPIA)
300 Gigs - $39.95

Will I be automatically upgraded to the following

25/2 mbps (ATPIA) - DOCSIS 3 modem required
300 Gigs - $39.95

Or Will I have to call and pay to get switched to the 25/2 mbps 300 Gigs - $39.95 package?

Thanks

No change. Your current TPIA plan will be the same speed & price. Just grandfathered.

But if you want to move up to one of the newer ATPIA packages you'll have to call in (or myworld or Direct forum) and pay to upgrade your package. Once you do that you can't go back to what you had before on the old TPIA.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

flare4000

join:2011-08-03
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc
Are the activation fees the same or can it be waived if you have cable previously, like start? These prices are tempting and that would make it a done deal for me, that or fttn being available in my area, which doesn't seem likely

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

said by mlerner:

said by TypeS:

I'd rather a single aggregate point be failed. If everything is down it'll get fixed sooner than later. If one POI is slow or down Rogers has shown they're happy to take their time.

Since the particular point of failure would not affect Rogers retail, no chance of that ever being fixed any quicker. Hell every TekSavvy POI has had an outage or two and I don't recall any of them being fixed under 24 hours. Even with all of the indies aggregated, you are in for a shock if you think it will make anything more reliable or fixed faster.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to Sanek
said by Sanek:

I think there should be a 50/10 plan available on cable priced competitively to the 50/10 plan available for DSL. Unlimited plan cable prices are just crazy compared to DSL prices...

The problem with that is that its a perfectly sensible request based on knowledge of the relevant technologies.

Because of that, CRTC rejected that idea. They basically said "fu cable, we're going back to 1999 b*tches!!!"....
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

Since the particular point of failure would not affect Rogers retail, no chance of that ever being fixed any quicker. Hell every TekSavvy POI has had an outage or two and I don't recall any of them being fixed under 24 hours. Even with all of the indies aggregated, you are in for a shock if you think it will make anything more reliable or fixed faster.

An example of the opposite being this morning's Teksavvy-only outage at the St.Laurent POI in East Ottawa. Rogers Internet services still functioning normally, while Teksavvy isn't (even within the same home, in one case). With ATPIA, that failure point is removed.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Distributel is down too on that POI by some other report in the outage thread. But still the same point, it's a POI related outage and that will be removed after ATPIA.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
For all intents and purposes sure and maybe it will reduce outage but essentially, you're just moving to one POI point.

Insilin1i

join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Is there any info on the requirements for the 150/10 tier, would I need to upgrade from my 6121 to a DCM475/476?

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Insilin1i:

Is there any info on the requirements for the 150/10 tier, would I need to upgrade from my 6121 to a DCM475/476?

They might sign you up/provision you for 150/10 but you would in all likelihood not be able to get this performance with a 6121, especially in peak hours. If you want 150/10 it's probably best to upgrade to an 8 channel modem.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mlord
said by mlord:

said by mlerner:

An example of the opposite being this morning's Teksavvy-only outage at the St.Laurent POI in East Ottawa. Rogers Internet services still functioning normally, while Teksavvy isn't (even within the same home, in one case). With ATPIA, that failure point is removed.

Yeah. Obviously I don't want to jump to conclusions but my guess is that the aggregate POI system will be a lot more reliable as far as congestion goes.

coldpower27

join:2004-02-07
Scarborough, ON
reply to the_blob
75 doesn't officially exist anymore, but I had it offered to me through CxR on Rogers, so it's still in their system.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

said by mlord:

said by mlerner:

Yeah. Obviously I don't want to jump to conclusions but my guess is that the aggregate POI system will be a lot more reliable as far as congestion goes.

The TPIA links and aggregated TPIA links are both installed and managed by Rogers. So feel free to jump to your own conclusions but it may not necessarily change anything.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by mlerner:

The TPIA links and aggregated TPIA links are both installed and managed by Rogers. So feel free to jump to your own conclusions but it may not necessarily change anything.

There's no guarantee but Start isn't plagued by POI routers going down or POI congestion nearly as much as TSI is. So there's a basis for believing APOI will be less problematic.

PlatooN

join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON
Start also has probably 25% of TSI's customer base

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mlerner
Just based on the nature of ATPIA things will probably be better. The per-POI issues will be basically neutralized as POI issues will be network wide (Rogers and all ATPIAs) rather than isolated to to single legacy TPIA's.

Basically all of the issues TekSavvy is having with Rogers right now are related to congestion on a per-POI basis related to their backhaul. This will go away under ATPIA.

d_source

join:2011-01-18
reply to the_blob
said by the_blob:

Currently Rogers is offering 150 / 10 for $122.99 + $30/month for unlimited usage... Any plans or possibility that Teksavvy will be able to at least match this offer? Teksavvy's current listed 150 unlimited package price is about $70/month more than that...

Yes please go to Rogers, order the 150/10 unlimited option plan and saturate the sh1t out of their network at prime time! TSI has to price this unlimited plan high b/c they get mainly the heavy users from Rogers. This move pushes those heavy users back to Rogers and actually saves TSI money. Good plan by Marc! +1

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
Considering that everyone will be using Rogers pipes to Toronto and the site of the AggPOI, giving the 150/10 customers back to Rogers doesn't eliminate congestion on the links from the head ends. The amount of Rogers route that TPIA customers must use has become much higher and liable to Rogers disasters

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
Not really, Rogers will just put TPIA connections on lower priority in cases where there is higher load. While as a customer there is no way to know for sure, I have seen some oddball speed issues in the past which seemed to point to QoS rather than actual congestion.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to PlatooN
said by PlatooN:

Start also has probably 25% of TSI's customer base

I don't know if that's true, at least for Ontario. Start has no presence in Quebec or Western Canada but if we limit the scope to Ontario, Start has been around a year longer than TSI I believe. Their Cable subscriber base might be. They've been servicing all of Rogers footprint for about a year now as well as Cogeco's areas, areas TSI has no presence at all (except for the 20~ POIs TSI has set up on Rogers).

Going by the threads created TPIA Cable has been more problematic for TSI than xDSL GAS/AGAS after initial setups (both seem to have their fair amount of activation issues).

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc
At one point, TekSavvy represented 25% of all new Rogers internet installs, and they cover a much wider area than Start (including the maritimes and out west), so it wouldn't surprise me if TSI was much larger than Start.
--

zoneseek

join:2011-09-12
reply to TSI Marc
I noticed no mention of the 150 package on your new pricing site this morning. Is this option still planned to be available?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
said by zoneseek:

I noticed no mention of the 150 package on your new pricing site this morning. Is this option still planned to be available?

The Rogers territory prices haven't been rolled out on the website officially yet. Marc said that is comming soon.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca