The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

The Mongoose to Eug

to Eug

Re: Congestion

said by Eug:

n00b question: Would aggregated TPIA mean a fast and effective resolution to the congestion issues? eg. McNicoll

Cuz if so, then 25/2 300 or 35/3 300 seem decently priced for someone like me.

Depends where the problem is. If it's the TSI links at your POI (McNicoll in your case) then yes, aggregated will fix it. If it's your local node, it won't make any difference.
Webslinger
Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

Webslinger

Premium Member

Respectfully . . .

Start is offering 350 GB usage at 45/4 for $59.95
Price per GB is 0.17

Teksavvy is offering 300 GB at 45/4 for $54.95
Price per GB is 0.18

The difference is $5 for an extra 50 GB.

To get that extra 50 GB from Teksavvy, at $0.50/GB, I'd be spending an extra $25 (instead of $5). I'd like to see Teksavvy offer something that's more competitive. Going from 28/1 (or 35/3) to 45/4 should see a bump in usage caps, imo.

That said, it's great that Teksavvy still differentiates its service by offering unlimited.
The Mongoose
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

said by Webslinger:

Respectfully . . .

Start is offer 350 GB usage at 45/4 for $59.95
Price per GB is 0.17

Price per GB is 0.18

To get that extra 50 GB from Teksavvy, at $0.50/GB, I'd be spending an extra $25 (instead of $5). I'd like to see Teksavvy offer something that's more competitive. Going for 28/1 (or 35/3) to 45/4 should see a bump in usage caps, imo.

Totally a valid view, but there will also be those (like me) who tend to average 100 GB/month....of the 2 plans you listed, I would pick the TSI one every time, the 50GB bump is worth nothing to me.

It makes you wonder how much customization is optimal. Too few plans and we get a situation like this where you don't like the TSI option and I don't like the Start one...too many plans and I imagine the complexity at TSI's end gets difficult to manage.
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot to Webslinger

to Webslinger
TSI's pricing may be more realistic, as Rocca at Start has said they're largely eating the costs today.

As well, I don't believe Start has actually finalized their numbers yet.
Webslinger
Premium Member

1 edit

Webslinger to The Mongoose

Premium Member

to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

Totally a valid view, but there will also be those (like me) who tend to average 100 GB/month

Okay (and this is an honest question), but aren't you in the minority of users at Teksavvy who would use 45/4? That is, wouldn't most be using close to 300 GB? I have no statistics to support my thinking. It's just that I figure a number of us moved to Teksavvy to have higher cap space.

I suppose marketing people at Teksavvy have access to a lot of usage information that I'm not privy to.

And, granted, there are times when I only use up to 100GB per month as well or even less (but sometimes I'm suspect I come close to 300). I dunno. I really would prefer to support Teksavvy, but that Start offer seems a little more attractive to me.
The Mongoose
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

said by Webslinger:

Okay (and this is an honest question), but aren't you in the minority of users at Teksavvy who would use 45/4? That is, wouldn't most be going up near 300 GB? I have no statistics to support my thinking. It's just that I figure a number of us moved to Teksavvy to have higher cap space.

Granted, there are times when I only use up to 100GB per month as well (but sometimes I go up to 350). I dunno. I really would prefer to support Teksavvy, but that Start offer looks a little more attractive to me.

This is a totally legitimate question, and I'm not sure either. I tend to think that as much as there certainly are 45/4 users who are going to be rocking well over 300GB/month, the majority wouldn't.

But just like you I'm totally going on a guess based on anecdotal experience...ie a couple of my big-downloading friends who say they max out at 250GB/month. I could be miles off. I wonder if there's any information out there on this sort of thing, I might try to dig something up just out of interest.
Webslinger
Premium Member

1 edit

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by The Mongoose:

But just like you I'm totally going on a guess based on anecdotal experience...ie a couple of my big-downloading friends who say they max out at 250GB/month. I could be miles off. I wonder if there's any information out there on this sort of thing, I might try to dig something up just out of interest.

Oh wait a sec . . .

I missed this:

"unlimited between 2am and 8am". Okay, so if I download my big Steam game downloads during that time, this is actually more attractive than Start. Although, it would be a lot nicer if this were from, say, 12a.m. to 6 a.m. instead.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Webslinger

Premium Member

to Webslinger
said by Webslinger:

Respectfully . . .

Start is offering 350 GB usage at 45/4 for $59.95
Price per GB is 0.17

Price per GB is 0.18

To get that extra 50 GB from Teksavvy, at $0.50/GB, I'd be spending an extra $25 (instead of $5). I'd like to see Teksavvy offer something that's more competitive. Going from 28/1 (or 35/3) to 45/4 should see a bump in usage caps, imo.

With the unlimited usage window the the 300GB is completely manageable.
The Mongoose
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to Webslinger

to Webslinger
said by Webslinger:

Oh wait a sec . . .

I missed this:

"unlimited between 2am and 8am". Okay, so if I download my big Steam game downloads during that time, this is actually more attractive than Start. Although, it would be a lot nicer if this were from, say, 12a.m. to 6 a.m. instead.

I don't think they'd push the start back to 12...still fairly heavy activity at that time. I do think they might consider extending the end time to 10 or 11AM.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

With the unlimited usage window the the 300GB is completely manageable.

Yeah, I just realized that a couple of posts above yours.
Webslinger

Webslinger to The Mongoose

Premium Member

to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

I don't think they'd push the start back to 12...still fairly heavy activity at that time. I do think they might consider extending the end time to 10 or 11AM.

That would be awesome!
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug to The Mongoose

to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

said by Eug:

n00b question: Would aggregated TPIA mean a fast and effective resolution to the congestion issues? eg. McNicoll

Depends where the problem is. If it's the TSI links at your POI (McNicoll in your case) then yes, aggregated will fix it. If it's your local node, it won't make any difference.

Thx. I am not sure, it may be a bit of both, but I think the McNicoll POI has been the main issue on and off for years. I guess we will see once the migration occurs.

Thx to TSI Marc as well for giving us the early pricing heads up.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by Eug:

said by The Mongoose:

said by Eug:

Thx. I am not sure, it may be a bit of both, but I think the McNicoll POI has been the main issue on and off for years. I guess we will see once the migration occurs.

Thx to TSI Marc as well for giving us the early pricing heads up.

Generally when it's the local node that's the issue Rogers gets to fixing it sooner than later. Obviously they don't fix it quickly enough for users but local node issues affect Rogers AND third party customers alike as it's all shared between them.

The TSI issues as I understand it are when the backhauls are saturated and Rogers has notoriously taken their sweet sweet time to upgrade them - so TSI knows a backhaul is saturated and is waiting for upgrades and Rogers delays and responds slowly to TSI's requests.

If you know anyone in your area on Rogers or another third party provider ask them to do a speed test when you're having performance issues. If it works well for them it's a TekSavvy issue. If it's slow for them it's a node issue.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Eug

Premium Member

to Eug
said by Eug:

.....I think the McNicoll POI has been the main issue on and off for years. I guess we will see once the migration occurs.

My prediction is that once TSI is migrated to APOI Rogers network will fail like an imploding Death Star.
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario

bjlockie to Webslinger

to Webslinger
Start's website says 45/4 is 300GB.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger

Premium Member

said by bjlockie:

Start's website says 45/4 is 300GB.

Yeah, that changed since I originally posted.