Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tenshi

join:2002-11-24
Canada
reply to Guspaz

Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Vidéotron

But if people are mass switching, they might start to...

Ah... choices choices choices...

LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

Acanac cable Internet access on Vidéotron currently has plenty of capacity.

Acanac is no more different than any IISP. If the capacity is not enough at peak you will get some slowdown and they will order more capacity.

Luc C

join:2013-03-07
Saint-Eustache, QC
reply to TSI Marc

If I sign up to the 8 Mbps tier prior to the April date, will Teksavvy upgrade me (free) once the 10 Mbps speed is effective?

Finkleworth

@videotron.ca
reply to LanAdmin

If i sign up to the 8 Mbps tier before the April date, will Teksavvy automatically upgrade me (free) to 10 Mbps when the new speeds are effective?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to LanAdmin

said by LanAdmin:

Acanac is no more different than any IISP. If the capacity is not enough at peak you will get some slowdown and they will order more capacity.

The whole point of Acanac's lower prices is that they will use throttling to delay having to buy additional capacity. CBB capacity uses peak-billing, so if they can lower the peak usage by throttling, it reduces their costs, enabling lower pricing. It will give them a flatter usage curve, enabling higher utilization of the link.

Their entire pricing structure depends on that throttling, so anybody assuming they're never going to do it isn't thinking straight.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable

I wouldn't even consider acanac, too many negative reports here. Ebox on the other hand is considering adding a 2:am to 2:pm 'happy hours' to their cable packages....which would clearly place them in the lead in terms of attractive cable internet packages.(at least in videotron land-I know nothing about rogers)

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

said by LanAdmin:

The whole point of Acanac's lower prices is that they will use throttling to delay having to buy additional capacity. CBB capacity uses peak-billing, so if they can lower the peak usage by throttling, it reduces their costs, enabling lower pricing. It will give them a flatter usage curve, enabling higher utilization of the link.

Their entire pricing structure depends on that throttling, so anybody assuming they're never going to do it isn't thinking straight.

On cable, they just can't. It's technically impossible to do throttling like they do with dsl customers based on dsl login. I have been with them since september and I have seen 1-2 times max slow downs, the worst was a rainy Sunday afternoon in November where I had 22mbps on a 30mbps cable connexion. If this is what you call throttling...

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by julienvf:

said by Guspaz:

said by LanAdmin:

On cable, they just can't. It's technically impossible to do throttling like they do with dsl customers based on dsl login. I have been with them since september and I have seen 1-2 times max slow downs, the worst was a rainy Sunday afternoon in November where I had 22mbps on a 30mbps cable connexion. If this is what you call throttling...

What do you mean, they can control speed other then login...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

Of course they can do it. Acanac knows what speed each customer's account is paying for. They know the videotron user ID of that account. They can use Videotron's DNS-based lookup to get the IP currently assigned to that user ID. And then they can throttle traffic to that IP based on the information in the account.

Similarly, people think you can't do unlimited off-peak with Videotron, but that's certainly possible using a similar method. You know what IP a customer is using, you can track the usage for that IP on your own routers.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

xcimo
Ebox 60Mbps

join:2007-11-21
Gatineau, QC
reply to TSI Marc

People might want to look here.

There seem to be an issue linking an IP with an account on videotron network.

Diskace cant go into too much details it seems:
»Changes in packages

LanAdmin

Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·voip.ms
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Of course they can do it. Acanac knows what speed each customer's account is paying for. They know the videotron user ID of that account. They can use Videotron's DNS-based lookup to get the IP currently assigned to that user ID.

said by diskace:

No clue so far but they cannot bind an ip to an account without an upstream tool and this tool is not working well

»Re: Changes in packages

BellACancer

join:2008-06-04
reply to TSI Marc

Une chose m'apparaît très clairement, les tarifs proposés sont complètement hors de prix. Tek doit toujours garder en tête que ses clients sont surtout des internautes plus mobiles que les autres et plus exigeants. Ils n'hésiteront pas à passer à Acanac, Ebox, etc. si c'est plus avantageux.

Si on prend en exemple l'ilimitié à 30 Mbits, à 85 $ contre 60 $ (paiement complet annuel), la différence est de 25 $/mois et donc de 300 $ annuel. Ça commence à faire toute une différence.

Mes suggestions :

- Offrir la possibilité de payer l'année au complet d'un seul coup (moyennant une réduction).
- Offrir le 60 Mbits beaucoup moins cher (disons à 85 $) pour ceux qui paie d'un coup et faire varier la vitesse entre [30-60] selon le maximum de pointe enregistré.

La clé ? Offrir davantage d'options pour aller chercher le maximum de clients possibles.

atmx093

join:2009-01-07
Gatineau, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by BellACancer:

Une chose m'apparaît très clairement, les tarifs proposés sont complètement hors de prix. Tek doit toujours garder en tête que ses clients sont surtout des internautes plus mobiles que les autres et plus exigeants. Ils n'hésiteront pas à passer à Acanac, Ebox, etc. si c'est plus avantageux.

Si on prend en exemple l'ilimitié à 30 Mbits, à 85 $ contre 60 $ (paiement complet annuel), la différence est de 25 $/mois et donc de 300 $ annuel. Ça commence à faire toute une différence.

Mes suggestions :

- Offrir la possibilité de payer l'année au complet d'un seul coup (moyennant une réduction).
- Offrir le 60 Mbits beaucoup moins cher (disons à 85 $) pour ceux qui paie d'un coup et faire varier la vitesse entre [30-60] selon le maximum de pointe enregistré.

La clé ? Offrir davantage d'options pour aller chercher le maximum de clients possibles.

Faudrait savoir en premier si Tek hausse ses prix legerement en factorant le risque/principe qu'aucun client n'a de contrat avec eux et qu'ils peuvent annuler en tout temps. Prepayer pour une annee sous-entend un contrat. Je ne vois pas l'avantage pour Tek s'ils offrent un prix plus avantageux pour une annee de service, mais que c'est possible d'annuler en tout temps (meme si l'OPC le permet).

C'est comme une prime de fidelite, un concept etranger a  Tek.

malquin

join:2005-05-13
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

The discussion about the new TSI offerering has been going on for a couple of weeks now.

Nothing to be extatic about for Quebec cable customers (and for TSI since the price went up) but I do appreciate the transparency.

All this being said, Marc, any ETA on when the new packages and pricing will be made official and the date at which it will all become active?

Once TSI decides, we all will be able to do the same.

Thanks.

Tenshi

Canada

Hmm... no updates yet?

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Tenshi:

Hmm... no updates yet?

They might be having a hard time figuring out how to implement the technology to count traffic during happy hours, which I understand is an issue under the videotron network...

drjp81

join:2006-01-09
canada
reply to TSI Marc

This is starting to worry me as well.
--
Cheers!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

yep.. too much on the plate is all.. lots of activity on all fronts..

either next week or the week after is likely what it is. ...anybody signing up right now would automatically get converted regardless though.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

drjp81

join:2006-01-09
canada

The preoccupation, specifically, is the free bandwidth period: 2-8 am. How will it be managed ?
--
Cheers!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

those systems wont be in place right away regardless. effectively, it's unlimited now during those times.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada

Sort of on the honor system...???

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to cbp

said by cbp:

said by JCohen:

I believe that TekSavvy charges $5 to change speed tiers.

If only $5 then that is acceptable. I thought TSI's "Move Fee" was also relating to speed tier change.

Can Marc confirm this?

Move from say an apartment to say a house in another neighborhood, and get your service transfered to the new address, thats the "move fee".

The $5 charge to move UP a speed/cap tier is a different matter.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

Fredtek

join:2009-09-05
reply to TSI Marc

TSI should not have made the new offer already available inside the TSI Portal. When I saw the topic saying new plans are LIVE, I went to the portal and made a request for a service change. Well, I've got an email saying I was denied as there is no such plan. I should have read the topic and not only the title.. Doh! Can't wait for upgrading to 60mbits.

pldube

join:2011-06-11
canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·TekSavvy Cable
·Videotron
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

yep.. too much on the plate is all.. lots of activity on all fronts..

either next week or the week after is likely what it is. ...anybody signing up right now would automatically get converted regardless though.

Donc si on change rien à notre abonnement on reste au même prix ?

LanAdmin

Montreal, QC

"automatically get converted"

A la mise en place des nouveaux prix, tout le monde passe au nouveaux prix.

pldube

join:2011-06-11
canada
reply to TSI Marc

"anybody signing up right now would automatically"

pour moi sa veut dire: tout nouveau vont avoir les nouveaux prix automatiquement

Tenshi

Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Thanks Marc,

However that might be too late. With price hikes, it's tempting just to go back to Videotron with their current $10 flat fee for unlimited instead of waiting to see what Teksavvy can come up with...

So for 30mbits, it's $57 for Teksavvy 300gigs, $66 Distributel unlimited, $76 videotron unlimited, $86 Teksavvy unlimited

DoBoY

join:2011-12-14

said by Tenshi:

Thanks Marc,

However that might be too late. With price hikes, it's tempting just to go back to Videotron with their current $10 flat fee for unlimited instead of waiting to see what Teksavvy can come up with...

So for 30mbits, it's $57 for Teksavvy 300gigs, $66 Distributel unlimited, $76 videotron unlimited, $86 Teksavvy unlimited

I agree! why stay with teksavy if there going to be 20$ more expensive then their competition for the same service? I find a price hike of 15$ a little much to swallow since it seems other ISP's can keep pricing at a reasonable level. well what passes as reasonable in Canada that is.

Its quite the bullsh*t if you ask me. really disappointed in Teksavy atm

Anyone

malquin

join:2005-05-13
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Well...

I too am impatient to know that the new prices/packages will be BUT bandwidth cable prices for ISP went UP. When I think about it, I don't see how this new situation could bring that many good things for us.

I'm just waiting and hope for the best. Hopefully, TSI can come up with packages that are competitive, better than Videotron and in the same ballpark as the other ISP.

Tenshi

Canada

Yes,

Rates for Videotron went up roughly 10%.. as a result Teksavvy went up 38%...

That's what's bothering my wallet right now