Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Sprayed Pledge on lcd Monitor

Pledge on Monitor Screen
I inadvertently sprayed pledge on my daugher's lcd monitor two days ago. I just noticed it and used an anti-static glass and lens cleaner (wet) and it didn't help. I did a search and found a solution of mixing equal parts of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol and spraying it on a cloth to apply. Should I attempt that or just leave it as it is? It looks to me like it went into the screen. It covers slightly more than half of the screen.

Here's a screenshot that a took on a website which showed a black screen, so I used that screen to make a copy.

If this can't be fixed will it get worse?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra

Premium Member

Click for full size
Pledge on monitor (desktop)
I don't think that ss is showing the stains because as I move my screen veritically the spots move. I took another ss of the desktop but I don't know if that will show the spots either.

Sincerely, Libra

Sandman37
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

Sandman37 to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
A screenshot will not show the damage. If you want us to see the damage, you're going to have to take a picture of it.

The Pledge probably damaged the coating and the water/isopropyl alcohol solution is just a cleaner, it's not going to repair the damage.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you Sandman 5. I agree that I probably damaged the coating on the monitor. I was spraying a rag with pledge and didn't realize the monitor was behind my hand...stupid.

Sincerely, Libra
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to Libra

to Libra
Pledge has a thin oily (citrus??) wax in it that will smear on your screen, just like oily skin does to a pair of glasses. It could also chemically react with the soft plastic material of the LCD, just like copier toner will react and stick to the vinyl covering of a 3 ring binder when they come in contact.

A little water and alcohol or possibly even Windex should help cut the grease and get most of it off. It may take several cleanings over time to get most of it out.

Sandman37
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

Sandman37 to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
Hmm, I hadn't even thought of what 8744675 See Profile is saying, but I would probably stick with alcohol, and stay away from Windex or anything else that might have ammonia in it.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you 8744675. I will definitely try a solution of distilled water and alcohol! I hope it works

Sandman5, thank you for the reminder to stay away from anything with ammonia.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

1 recommendation

Libra to 8744675

Premium Member

to 8744675
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I applied the distilled water and alcohol solution this morning (twice) and it worked. I have some horizontal streaks now, but I can live with that.

Sincerely, Libra

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

I think if you read the manual that came with the monitors or even TV's you will find that you should only use warn water and a mild soap like liquid Dawn dish soap.

Cleaners and even alcohol can damage some screens over time.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
Pug Screen C···.mp4.zip
11,393,787 bytes
Screen cleaner
Maybe not much help, but this is all I can think of when I read this.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 edit

Dustyn to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
Reminded me of »Worst Ways To Clean Your TV
»news.yahoo.com/video/upg ··· 436.html
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

lol ! I really can't believe that I did this, but the alcohol and distilled water fixed it. Although I didn't realize it was happening at the time, it was really a stupid thing.

Sincerely, Libra
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
Windex will remove the wax and or other chemicals used in the pledge. If not Windex then use 90% alcohol. Glass is glass and neither will damage it if put on and wiped off, IE Not let to sit on it for a long period of time.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by Shootist:

Windex will remove the wax and or other chemicals used in the pledge. If not Windex then use 90% alcohol. Glass is glass and neither will damage it if put on and wiped off, IE Not let to sit on it for a long period of time.

The problem is that most monitors do not have glass as the front-most layer. They typically have a plastic protective cover of some sort. Damage the plastic and you have screwed up the monitor forever.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
You basically put a wax on your screen. Fortunately it didn't cause a permanent issue & the other chemical was able to remove it. Many chemicals can permanently interact with the coating on a monitor.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Yes, I consider myself very lucky. I'll be more careful in the future.

Sincerely, Libra
James_C
join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY

James_C to Libra

to Libra
The streaks just mean you need to clean it again. Some matte monitor surfaces will still streak unless you dry it with (very short to no nap) microfiber cloth.

On a side note I've been cleaning monitors with straight OTC (70%) isopropyl alcohol for years with no problems. Just don't apply a lot of pressure so you don't scratch or buff the coating excessively.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Hi James,

I've been wondering about trying to remove the streaks. I think I will give it a try. I appreciate the tips. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra to James_C

Premium Member

to James_C
I just wanted to let you know I cleaned the monitor again and I think it looks better. Thank you again.

Sincerely, Libra