spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

iLearn

join:2013-01-16
canada

Is banking Cord Blood Cells a good idea?

Is it a good idea to store the cord blood of your new born baby?

It cost about $1000 initially and then approx. $100/ year.

Your thoughts?

»www.createcordbank.com/cord_blood_faq.html

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

With the state of technology today, they probably would be useless. However, that technology is rapidly evolving and in the future who knows what they might be to do with stem cells. If the costs involved are not too restrictive to your budget, I think it may be worth it.

faze

join:2011-01-10
Reisterstown, MD
reply to iLearn

Wrong forum methinks.

iLearn

join:2013-01-16
canada

...and your opinion on this topic is?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to faze

First like of the Forum Rules for this forum:

quote:
Post questions here when you can't decide which forum would best apply.
So, I'd think it's fair ball, myself...

OP - my wife and I had a discussion about this a few years ago, when our last one was born - we decided against it; partly due to the money (it was about 5k at that point, IIRC) - and partly because the applications for cord-blood were pretty limited... It just seems like a waste of money, to be honest.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to iLearn

said by iLearn:

Is it a good idea to store the cord blood of your new born baby?

It cost about $1000 initially and then approx. $100/ year.

Your thoughts?

»www.createcordbank.com/cord_blood_faq.html

Look at it as insurance. We did so for both our children. It has been proven to cure some conditions. Imagine if your child had that condition and you hadn't taken the pre-caution.

Again, it's insurance. Is the risk high you'll need it- no. But you'll sure be glad if you did.

I had an apartment burn to the ground in 1999 due to an Aggie lighting candles under her clothes to help them smell better in a unit adjacent to mine. I had just renewed my renters insurance. I didn't want to spend the $135 to renew, but when I spent over $20K replacing the things I owed, I was sure glad I had paid the $135.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to iLearn

One thing to consider is the difference in value between matching stem cells and generic stem cells for a particular procedure (not highlighted in that link, and I don't know the answer).

Near us, none of the hospitals/medical centers are accepting Caucasian stem cell donations - they're all full.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
reply to iLearn

No. Waste of money. Your banking on possibility, they are banking on your money.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to iLearn

IMO, if you have the money, sure why not. Never know if it'll be handy in the future.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to iLearn

We did not due to the costs but they are getting better and better in getting stem cells out of kids and adults. In the next 10 years I think it will be a moot point.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
www.toao.net
kudos:12
reply to iLearn

We did not. My opinion is that I would rather my kids benefit from increased blood volume at the time of birth, rather than maybe benefiting later in life.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX

said by Mango:

We did not. My opinion is that I would rather my kids benefit from increased blood volume at the time of birth, rather than maybe benefiting later in life.

You realize they take it from the cord right? Blood volume is the same whether you bank it or not.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice

I'm aware. If they delay clamping of the cord, the infant can gain something like 40% blood volume. I believe there are compromises; for example if you delay clamping for only a minute, there should still be an appropriate volume of blood to be banked. On the other hand, I believe I remember reading if you delay clamping for 15 minutes, it's much more difficult / impossible to recover any blood for banking.