All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Quickguide01
join:2013-02-14

Quickguide01 to Dustyn

to Dustyn

Re: Wireless Router G vs N Speed Question

Does that mean if i get an N router that supports 5ghz, then its useless for this laptop?

Assuming i get an N router... would that be faster speed than the currently linksys wrt54g router i have now?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

If you want the fastest wireless speeds. Get a new dual band router that does 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz N. You would need a new card or usb stick for 5.0ghz N since it seems yours only support 2.4ghz right now. The current router you have is a really old ancient beast. You will see better through put from updated technology. Back in the day I had a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 That thing was awesome and lasted forever. I also ran 3rd party firmware on it. Tomato to be exact. Now I have a Linksys E4200 v1 for the last 2 years and it has been just as good.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

2 recommendations

Dustyn to Quickguide01

Premium Member

to Quickguide01
said by Quickguide01:

Does that mean if i get an N router that supports 5ghz, then its useless for this laptop?

Assuming i get an N router... would that be faster speed than the currently linksys wrt54g router i have now?

Yes and no. It will be slower as your Wi-Fi card is older.
The router will have to support the 2.4Ghz band to work with your Wi-Fi card. A router that supports 2GHz/5GHZ will work on your laptop, but the Wi-Fi card is not dual band. It's single band. Meaning, you have to use the 2.4GHz band running b/g/n.