All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to jl747

to jl747

Re: [WIN7] W7 No internet connection

Interestingly, I often find that simply starting Internet Explorer resolves such/similar problems, at least more often than not.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I've always wondered why opening a browser would fix that.
Do you know why a browser would effectively fix an (I assume) winsock issue?
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

Not really. I just assumed it was due to Internet Explorer's "special relationship" with the OS. I don't remember it working as well--or at all--with any other browser.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
Depends what the indication of "connected to the internet" really means. At least with wired Ethernet, it seems quite subjective. Neither Ethernet nor IP have the concept of "connection", and the thing at the other end of the wire is not something I'd call "the internet".

So, maybe it just means that traffic is being sent and received. In which case, making some traffic be sent or received would change the state.
jl747
join:2005-03-24
Mount Prospect, IL

jl747 to NoHereNoMo

to NoHereNoMo
I tested this by opening IE and it reestablished the connection.
As did Firefox.

Never knew this.

Thanks.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

This seems to be "how it works".

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 10).aspx

I'd further suppose that, absent any new reason like a link-up indication, it's going to probe periodically. But when you try and make a TCP connection, that causes another trigger.

I doubt it has much to do with Internet Explorer in particular.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

said by dave:

I doubt it has much to do with Internet Explorer in particular.

So I would have thought, which is why I tried with Firefox--and Opera, too, as I recall--first a few times, with considerably less success--so I stopped trying them. IE might as well be good for something, and this is as good as anything. It's been awhile since I last had to do this though--maybe now any browser is as good as any other.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Interesting!