bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN

bolt

Premium Member

University gaming class

Hey all. I have a quick question for all the gamers here. I currently teach a university class called “The Art and Culture of Electronic Games.” The class is a 3 credit hour elective. In the class we discuss everything from Play Theory, Gender Inequality, all the way through the business processes and decisions and everything in between. One of the things I am looking to do is boost my class sizes. One thing I was planning on doing was having business cards made and distributing them in places where students congregate. I have a couple of question if you are willing to answer them:

What would get you attention on a business card? What kinds of wording and designs do think would be most effective?

Do you have any other ideas for promoting the class to both gamers and non-gamers?

Thanks for any replies. Every response is appreciated.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

How does your course relate overall to the types of degrees that people are getting? Are they getting computer science degrees or business degrees or graphic design? Are they aiming towards a field that's in gaming?

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to bolt

to bolt
I see this appealing to social degrees, mass communications, psychology, IT, computer science. Seems to have great potential.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to bolt

to bolt
I think fliers would be more appropriate. Basically, with everything you have in your post. I think most gamers 18+ would be interested in a class like that.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to bolt

to bolt
You'd catch my attention if you had some Space Invaders on your business card. Something from my golden impressionable years of video gaming.

Seeing how they aren't quite as old as me, I'd say put some Call of Duty, Halo, or Grand Theft Auto themed things on there.

They may show up thinking they're going to get to play video games the entire hour though.

bolt
Premium Member
Charlestown, IN

bolt to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
The problems with flyers is that there are a limited number of places I can put up flyers. I can dump business cards practically anywhere.
bolt

bolt to Raible

Premium Member

to Raible
We do play games. Just not all the time. In addition, I am going to try to do this Online this coming fall semester. It should be interesting.
bolt

bolt to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Some are. But it's an elective, and every one getting a degree needs two or three electives. I have had everyone from business seniors to computer programming freshmen in the class. This will be the fourth year I've taught the class, but the first time I am teaching it online.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

It just seems like a waste... like you could glean all of the important information from a news article if you really wanted to know.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to bolt

Premium Member

to bolt
said by bolt:

The problems with flyers is that there are a limited number of places I can put up flyers. I can dump business cards practically anywhere.

I would go that route along with putting some of those up on the old cork boards if the university still uses those (some don't anymore). With those people can hold onto them and/or pass them along to others.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

It just seems like a waste... like you could glean all of the important information from a news article if you really wanted to know.

You aren't going to get a serious, in-depth discussion (which is what the class is for... ideas honing ideas) about gender stereotypes in videogames from a news article.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to bolt

Premium Member

to bolt
I'd do a couple different cards, one for each theme. Gender and racism? Geralt from the Witcher and femShep.

Female stereotypes? Miranda from Mass Effect, the new Lara from Tomb Raider, or Sona from League of Legends.

Business decisions? SWTOR, LoL, or Mass Effect, with the text "Day 1 DLC" or "Pay to win!"

Turn them into something like the Taco Bell sauce packets... come up with 4-6 different ones and leave a couple different ones around.

kw0
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH

kw0 to bolt

Premium Member

to bolt
Put an indentifiable character that everyone knows on the card. Style it into a Super Mario Bros theme.

It'll be instantly recognizable by people, then they'll pick it up and read.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
Gender Stere···pptx.zip
1,596,898 bytes

Something like this... I dunno, this sucks, I'm not a graphics artist.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to bolt

to bolt
said by bolt:

Business cards can be graphically artistic. Be creative and use the back side of the card.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to bolt

Premium Member

to bolt
I'd go off campus and leave flyers/cards at the businesses that might attract gamers around town. I'm not sure what you have there but if it were me I'd ask if I could hang them in windows or leave them on the counters of shops like Gamestop, Slackers, Dave and Busters, Buffalo Wild Wings, local pizza joints, popular bars, etc. Any place the students hang out. Maybe develop a QR scode they can scan with their phone that links to the class on the University's enrollment site (dunno if that's possible or not).

bolt
Premium Member
Charlestown, IN

bolt

Premium Member

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I have some ideas to move forward with.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to bolt

Premium Member

to bolt
I was chatting with someone the other day. About the seeming lack of interest my boys have in sex. Be it showing an interest in girls or boys.

I was telling how odd that was to me. Because I seem to recall how much of a hound I was back then. Trying to talk to the gals, check them out, etc.
It seems my kids are more interested in games then anything else. That person said their kids are the same way, and that from what they have read, it's the modern teen life.

Which could explain the large drop in teen pregnancy. As the kids would rather IM and play games on line vs hanging out/hooking up.
But then again, my kids are only 14.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

I doubt they will change for a while. I and most of my friends(both male and female) are the same way. Most of out free(not at school/work) time is spent gaming, be it with each other, solo, or online with people we don't know. We do hang out with each other and have lans from time to time, but really most of our group gaming is done from our own homes. Very few of us have relationships or are even interested in them, those of us that do are ether dating or married to other gamers. Yes in the same circle most of the time.

Not just our group ether, at my college it happens a lot lot. Most the people I know(acquaintances/not friends) are more interested in computers/gaming than relationships. Even just sitting in the campus center quite often girls can be overheard complaining how the guy they like is more interested in gaming than dating.

Not sure how representative of the country as a whole that is.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to bolt

Premium Member

to bolt
I love video games. I don't love video games that much.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Which could explain the large drop in teen pregnancy. As the kids would rather IM and play games on line vs hanging out/hooking up.
But then again, my kids are only 14.

A lot of kids aren't on that level at 14, I wasn't, but it happened shortly after.

My advice? Enjoy the peace and quiet for now.