spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Anybody using Velcom these days..?? How are they..??

Looking at their 60meg 400GB $69. package, with 2am until 11am unlimited....

Would hate to leave Teksavvy, but gotta look at all the options...

Do they have their own forum anywhere...???

Thanks.

bud21ca

join:2013-02-14

Wondering the same. Was waiting for Teksavvy and Start to post the new rates, but can't wait anymore.

AA123

@216.171.102.x
reply to Rickkins

Velcom gets its lines from Teksavvy, so you will be getting the same lines.

I used to have Velcom because they were cheaper than Teksavvy. Recently the prices are the same, so I changed to Teksavvy.

Velcom had very bad Tech Support, I used to dread calling them with an issue. (But you get what you pay for).

I switched 2 months ago and never looked back.

Unless you can get a cheaper deal. Don't go with Velcom.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

Velcom does not "get its lines from TekSavvy", they use the same cable coming into your home owned by Bell or Rogers. If you are talking about internet connectivity, that is also incorrect, since their traffic is clearly running through Hurricane Electric »bgp.he.net/AS30407#_peers

I can't comment on the service since I'm not a customer, the prices look amazing though. Still waiting for eBox/Start/TekSavvy to update their DSL rates before I make a decision.

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada

Yea, didn't think that sounded right. Was with them for a couple years, on 6meg dsl, before moving to teksavvy. They weren't that bad.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to Rickkins

»User reviews - Velcom

Their prices look good, but their reviews scare me off.

I have experience with Ebox, and their prices (with no dry loop) are fantastic, unlimited 2 am to 12 pm, and their customer service is great. Sometimes you have to wait for tech support (I've waited on hold for over an hour before), but the support is very friendly and helpful.

Overall I would recommend Ebox and I'm just waiting for their new pricing before signing up a second account. At some point I'll get around to a positive review for them too.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to Rickkins

They aren't very active on this forum, period. Though at one time Rob used to be (if I recalled his name right).

tyche

@agr.ca
reply to Rickkins

I had Velcom 5meg DSL for about 8 years or so. Always was solid. The maybe 2 or 3 times I contacted support, it was resolved quickly. I was very happy with them. This was in the Ottawa south area.

I (somewhat foolishly) switched to cable last month because I wanted to drop my phone line completely and went with Start. I say foolishly because of the recent CRTC rulings I may be going back to DSL if the cable prices/cap go nuts. If do, Velcom would be seriously considered.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to AA123

said by AA123 :

Velcom gets its lines from Teksavvy, so you will be getting the same lines.

It is widely believed that Velcom used to be a Teksavvy wholesaler, on the DSL side. However, they went direct to Bell 2-3 years ago.

On the cable side, it is widely believed that they are a Teksavvy wholesaler.
--
electronicsguru.ca

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

I got their VDSL 25/10 (well 25/7) plan. Standard DSL wholesaler, support was reasonably easy to reach when I had to suffer some Bell glitches, had the best pricing for metered 25/7 dry loop with a single static. I never needed any "my cupholder's broken" kinda babysitting, so I'm not sure of how much assistance they'd be if you have crap equipment or inside wiring, but generally speaking, it's slim to none with most ISP's
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

docbill

join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Velcom
·Bell Sympatico
·Bell Fibe
·voip.ms
·PortBridge Inter..
reply to Rickkins

I just signed up for Velcom 25/10 400GB package. I ordered on Thursday. On Friday they changed there rates. They started processing my order yesterday. It is a bit like dealing with Columbo. They keep coming back with just one more question... But they seem professional and I now have an install date of April 2nd. My Bell service is disconnected on the 29th. We'll see how it goes. Considering they are now including dry-loop in the base price, they definitely wins hands down on price. The question will be is how will they do on service?

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

I saw they changed their rate. I'm pretty sure yesterday the install fee was $49.95, and tonight it's $59.00 even. There also seems to be a $15 activation fee I didn't see before.

If the other IISPs disappoint me on prices for the basic package, I will be trying Velcom in April for 7/1 at one address and May for 25/10 at another.

docbill

join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Velcom
·Bell Sympatico
·Bell Fibe
·voip.ms
·PortBridge Inter..

Yes. It seems I timed it just right to get the 49.95 install fee, and no activation fee. However, the signed me up for the wrong data cap. The billed me for the 250GB 25/10 plan, but I signed up for the 400GB 25/10. Perhaps though they already corrected it. I guess I will find out when my account is activated and I see what their bandwidth monitor shows.

TekSavvy just lowered their rates. Too bad. I have been watching their site for years waiting for a more competitive rate. Two weeks after I finally go with someone else they change them. Well at least though, I have an alternative if Velcom doesn't workout.

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada
reply to Rickkins

Seems they have dropped their 60meg cable offering anyway...

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to bud21ca

said by bud21ca:

Wondering the same. Was waiting for Teksavvy and Start to post the new rates, but can't wait anymore.

TekSavvy and Start have both posted their new rates already, you can go to their sites to see them.

bud21ca

join:2013-02-14

Thanks, but my post was from March 5 when no new rates were out.