spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SuperiorPDS

@bell.ca

Sagemcom USB connection Issue

Hello, i have the Sagemcom 2864 and i'm finding that the router will not recognize any usb device that i plug into it. They do not appear on the "USB Connected Devices" or the Network Devices sections on the router page.

I am mainly trying to set up my printer a HP LaserJet P1005 with the usb print server but it's not recognizing my Sandisc flash drive either.

Any Suggestions? I've tried using a network discovery tool and nothing comes up.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal

Maybe other can correct me if I'm wrong.. but that USB port is for USB device storage only.. not printers.

SuperiorPDS

@bell.ca

on the router's page it says the bell doesn't support USB printers but that the hardware does. I am taking this as that they won't provide technical support on printers but that the functionality is still there.

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1
reply to SuperiorPDS

The sagemcom USB ports are for print servers and an external hard drive. Never seen them used but it does support it.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to SuperiorPDS

I tried it and it 1/2 ass works... it keeps being incredibly unstable as it uses "Network Discovery".
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
reply to SuperiorPDS

That printer is a GDI printer and likely wont work with any print server.

Essentially it's HOST based. It cant act as a standalone print device.

Not sure whats going on with your Sandisc. Is it one of those flashdrives with encryption?
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

SuperiorPDS

@bell.ca

Thanks for the explanation about the printer!

I too am not sure what's going on with my flash drive. No encryption on it. I fished out my external HDD enclosure and the router recognized it right away so i guess there isn't really anything not working, just an incompatible printer. Sigh.

Thanks for all the help!

urbang33k

Canada

I feel your pain.

I went through this a few years back with my laserjet 1020 (also a GDI printer) and a DLINK DNS-323 with USB print server. It took a bit of googling (admittedly after spending hours on the problem) to figure out it wasn't going to happen.

Basically EVERY printer I have bought from then on came with an ethernet port.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

mlam

join:2013-04-10

1 edit
reply to SuperiorPDS

I am subscribed bell with the router "SAGECOM F@ST 2864" and this router allows me to connect via the USB discs hard extern printers etc., me it is the external DD which interests me. I had no help (assistant) of BELL USB port not supported(born) by t-il BELL Y A something that I have to make of specific regarding configuration or others? My external DD is Next star3 with one 3 T inside

I looked for a very long time for the textbook(manual worker) of Bell's " SAGECOM F@ST 2864 ", it became an internet jungle to find a technical textbook(manual worker) and of user I am discouraged supplied you a device without textbook(manual worker). And on the Internet we offer him(it) to you without supplying him(it). If we could have information for both grips USB and how install(settle) a printer and a network hard disk there any assistant would be appreciate(estimate), how to reach this modem / router, the textbook(manual worker) etc.; thanks to all those who will help those who need to use(get) his(her,its) USB for printer and / or (disk) in network

urbang33k

Canada

2 edits

Honestly what ever Internet translation your using to get your native language into english is failing you. This is very hard to interpret but as best I can understand...

You have a 3 TB Nextstar external HDD. You want to connect it to the Sagemcom to share it on your network.

Your also upset that you can't find a user manual online. None exists. All the basic setup instructions are on the webpage:
»192.168.2.1/index.cgi?page=stora···onnected

If your Nextstar HDD is formatted in NTFS, try reformatting it in FAT32. Note that if you use FAT32, the MAXIMUM individual file size will be 4 GB.

Or, since we now know that the Sagemcom modems core OS is a Linux port, try formatting the drives partition to a native linux format like Ext2 or Ext3

If you chose to format your HDD in Ext2 or Ext3, then if you try to plug that hard drive into a windows based computer afterwards, you likely wont be able to access the files on it without a 3rd party program.
--

backwash

join:2013-06-10

I have the same/similar issue. Any USB flash (tried 3 different kinds) plus a USB externalHDD and none were detected in either of the 2 USB ports on the sagemcom. Most were fat32 and one was NTFS.

At no time did the output: "No storage device is connected to your Connection Hub." change on the box.

The more interesting thing is, whenever I plug something in, I see the lights on the drive flicker quickly, then more slowly and then go out completely like it's unpowered. This happens to anything USB I plug into the thing.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. What do I have to enable in the software to get this damn thing working?

Anybody know what's going on with this?

VolcanicAss

@bell.ca

I've got the same issue. I checked with Bell and the USB port is not supported. Crazy stuff. If you find a way to get the USB port active let me know.

backwash

I've found that flash drives will come up in either of the ports (top and back) when the flash drive is plugged in when the modem is powered on.

If I try to use one of my external HDD on either of the USB ports, that particular port will no longer accept flash until it's power cycled.

I've also found that if I boot up the modem with no flash in the USB's, it will still accept a flash most of the time but not always.

Either way, it's so much of a pain in the arse, I don't bother anymore.

volcanicass

@bell.ca

You're correct. Flash drives show up under \\mynetwork but external hard drives don't. I bought a 120gig solid state which shows up. I had hoped the the flash drive would show up as a device with an IP address. Without the IP address I can't see the flash drive on my tablet. Any ideas?

volcanicass

@bell.ca
reply to backwash

Did you type \\mynetwork in the windows explorer address bar?

lepton

@bell.ca
reply to volcanicass

I am having related problems with the 2864 as well. Mine will recognize my 4G flash drive, but not my 2TB Seagate Expansion Drive (external hard drive). The 2TB drive started as a 2TB NTFS partition, which I shrunk by half and then converted to FAT32, and ultimately shrunk further to less than 512G (still FAT32) in the vain hope that a smaller partition/filesystem would be recognized.

Anyone had luck with 2.5" external drives (not externally powered)?

What could be the root cause of the failure to recognize the drive? It doesn't seem filesystem related to me at this point.

urbang33k

Canada

said by lepton :

I am having related problems with the 2864 as well. Mine will recognize my 4G flash drive, but not my 2TB Seagate Expansion Drive (external hard drive). The 2TB drive started as a 2TB NTFS partition, which I shrunk by half and then converted to FAT32, and ultimately shrunk further to less than 512G (still FAT32) in the vain hope that a smaller partition/filesystem would be recognized.

Anyone had luck with 2.5" external drives (not externally powered)?

What could be the root cause of the failure to recognize the drive? It doesn't seem filesystem related to me at this point.

Is the hard drive spinning up? perhaps use a USB power injector? dont forget to reboot the modem between attempts.
--

lepton

@bell.ca

The drive spins up initially, yes. It remains spinning for a couple minutes or so, then stops. I have power cycled it between attempts.

backwash

reply to volcanicass

said by volcanicass :

Did you type \\mynetwork in the windows explorer address bar?

no, that would not work for me. I had to use the IP address of the router lan side