FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

Price prevents most rentals

Why pay $3 to $5 per VOD rental from Comcast when I get free movies & series from Amazon as part of my yearly Amazon Prime membership(which I would have anyway for free 2 day shipping). And also movies using an $8/mo Netflix subscription.

The latest Comcast on screen TV guide which Comcast just rolled out in my area(A30) does a much better job of providing info on VOD titles. And the new "Queue" feature of A30 does a nice job of highlighting series you may be interested in. But even the easier access to VOD titles can't offset the cost issues.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

Why pay $3 to $5 per VOD rental from Comcast when I get free movies & series from Amazon as part of my yearly Amazon Prime membership(which I would have anyway for free 2 day shipping). And also movies using an $8/mo Netflix subscription.

Exactly. I can always seem to find something to watch between the two services, even if the movies are older run titles.

Besides, if I had the desire to watch a new release I think I would just give my money to Amazon instead and watch it through them versus the cable company as I think new releases are more or less the same price.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

You already answered your question, new releases.
While it may not sell a huge amount cable and telco VOD is still the easiest for most people, my parents still rent new releases from Comcast.

When it comes to new releases it costs about the same amount for any VOD no matter where you go and cable and telco VOD doesn't require extra hardware you may not already have.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by MovieLover76:

You already answered your question, new releases.
While it may not sell a huge amount cable and telco VOD is still the easiest for most people, my parents still rent new releases from Comcast.

When it comes to new releases it costs about the same amount for any VOD no matter where you go and cable and telco VOD doesn't require extra hardware you may not already have.

I sub to both Netflix and Amazon Prime but I use Redbox for new releases. Unless you're housebound, you'll always run into a Redbox while doing something else. At less than 1/3 the price of a VOD release, it's well worth the little extra trouble to pick one up and return it. The only times I use VOD is when Vudu has a 99 cent "Deal of the Day" that I want to watch.