spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lacey

@bhn.net

Cisco AnyConnect VPN dropping??

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with my issue. I use Cisco AnyConnect Version 3.1.01065 for work. Over the past few days, and more frequently as time goes on, my VPN keeps dropping out on me for about 15 secs at a time. My internet itself is not dropping out (I have brighthouse). My boyfriend works at home as well, also using anyconnect, and his has not dropped at all. Our speeds are good, I ran an extended ping for 100 packets with 0% loss at 47ms average. I've changed to my works backup network, uninstalled/reinstalled the client, and even tried a system restore to no avail. I'm getting ready to pull my hair out!! If anyone has any suggestions, I'll be eternally grateful. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2

Are you both connecting to the same VPN endpoint or two different ones?

How are you connected to your router, cat5 or wireless? What type of connection does your BF use to the router?

Have you spoken to whoever manages the VPN server at your work about the problem?

Is there anybody else you know of that works remotely for your employer that maybe having a similar issue, or not?

Lacey

@bhn.net

He is connected to a different endpoint. Both of us are using eth connections. I spoke to my supervisor and sysadmin at work yesterday and they haven't had any reports of anyone elses VPN giving them issues, they believe my issue is isolated to my machine only...its certainly possible, but its a brand new computer and hasn't given me any grief other than this

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Lacey

What is your BHN speed up/down profile.?

The version of anyconnect that you're using is pretty old.

What OS are you running on your new PC?

Lacey

@bhn.net
reply to Lacey

Speed is 30/2, running windows 7 on my comp. I did notice that version was older but when I went to the Cisco website to upgrade but I only saw upgrades for linux so I don't think those will be compatible? I'm not too savvy with VPNs..lol

aguen
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Lacey

So, you and the BF are sharing that 30/2 connection? That 2 Mb upload is a bit on the anemic side for two simultaneous VPN connections. As to the version of the Cisco client you can use, the VPN admin. at your office should be able to provide you with the correct client based on the IOS version and hardware they are running on the server. I've got an "old" cisco client app. that is ver. 5.0.1.xxxx something. What version is the BF using for his client?

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Lacey

My recommended troubleshooting steps for VPN disconnect issues :
a) make a note of the EXACT date / timestamp of the disconnect, the more accurate the better.
b) make a note of which VPN headend(s) you are connecting to
c) confirm if only the VPN is dropping or VPN AND internet
d) gather any clientside logs from the VPN client itself -- I forget where AnyConnect keeps them, but find out where.
They may be useful in troubleshooting.
e) gather any errormessages / screenshots from the VPN if possible.

When you get the above, what you should get from the people that supports the VPN headend is to match up
the date / timestamps for the same time you lost the VPN and see if anything stands out. I haven't done much
Cisco-specific VPN troubleshooting, but the basic theory should hold for any VPN vendor, namely a) who saw
who disconnect, and b) why was the disconnect done?

Are you getting any error messages or similar, or it just plain disconnects, Lacey ?

If you're feeling technical, Cisco's pretty good about posting up troubleshooting and tech guides for their
stuff, see here

Just for s**ts and giggles, connect to the same VPN headend as your boyfriend and see if the problem
follows. Or swap VPN headends and/or laptops and see what happens. The more problem isolation you
can do, the better.

@aguen
for VPN ver. 5.0.1.xxxx, you're thinking the old IPSec client Cisco's EOL'd back in 2011. AnyConnect is the newer
SSL version. IIRC, 3.1 is fairly recent for the AnyConnect software itself.

Regards