uniqs

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

1 edit

eival to Dream Killer

to Dream Killer

Re: How-to: Reddit YouTube firewall rule with MI424wr

youtube throttles from their server's end after a few seconds of initial buffer, anyone who tries to save vids with any of the million firefox addons that let you, can see how theres a huge burst, then it trickles down to about 500 kbps, every time, except for short vids which ive seen bursts at 10mb/s overhead a few times with the 75/35 fios tier and essentially finish in seconds because the data is transferred before the 5 second throttle start.

i rip shows almost every day from youtube which is close to 3hrs long and i see the throttles all the time within 5-10 seconds they all settle at about 500kbps

youtube DOESNT throttle your IP tho which this article seems to suggest, cause as you see in the pic below, i initiated a bunch of vids in similar size and the total speed stays the same for each vid, and it would just keep doing that for up to about roughly 10 vids (600~mb into 6000kbps limit)

»i.imgur.com/YK4gKKP.jpg
eival

1 edit

eival

i just ran another test, almost a 3hr metallica concert
youtube.com/watch?v=RsSGiD4rkSI

i downloaded all 4 qualities, from 720 down to 240 and the speeds stayed the same and werent effected at all as i stopped each at various times.

the streams are listed in order from highest to lowest

i actually stopped the 720 just to see if theres any overall throttling, which is the top stream in the manager and the other streams stayed exactly the same, as soon as i restarted the 720 stream it jumped right back to 4kb/s and when i stopped the others it increased up to the max i have set of around 6000kbps and thats just to keep it from bottleknecking my own fios provisions so i can still browse as it downloads.

so basically, each stream is on different servers, which various youtube reps have explained in videos about how the site works before, like the "301 likes" glitch video

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· hgagvrjI

and all those servers are probably handling various bitrates, the larger ones need more provisions by default since they're larger in size

if you have it set to Auto, turn that off and just change the bitrate manually till you see one buffering faster, usually 720 or 1080 buffers faster than the lower bitrates, even 240p as the screenshot shows, they probably provision less server speed to it cause they're figuring you're already on a slow connection and used to buffering

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

HarleyYac to Dream Killer

Premium Member

to Dream Killer
Thx..! I was going to try an Airport/ST setup and maybe a Cisco/AT setup. in a few weeks.
FWIW I had a real hardtime with my SiliconDust until a few of us found UPNP and IMGP on the AT router firmware was the problem..

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer

Premium Member

I also suspect that youtube is setup much like how ISPs implement temporary speed boosts. I had to dl some videos for a project and pretty much every youtube video through a downloader behaved this way. Vimeo went screaming fast though.

In the time since I've posted this, I haven't gotten a single firewall hit through the logger but it seems to be working. As a funny consequence, 720 videos download noticeably quicker than 480 videos. Hmm...

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

You can probably drop all rules and see zero difference, as been noted by others, there it little correlation between the firewall rule and any perceived increase in speed.
Expand your moderator at work

Dirk Daring
join:2000-08-03
Ashburn, VA

Dirk Daring to danclan

to danclan

Re: How-to: Reddit YouTube firewall rule with MI424wr

This totally fixed my youtube. /rude verizon.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

well I blocked those IPs over a month ago on my ASA firewall that I use for fios. Plenty of bad youtube experiences since then and those block rules have not even received one hit. I think they might be region specific or something, or Google has caught on to everyone blocking those and they've changed out the IPs.
SmartWater
join:2009-07-03

SmartWater to Dream Killer

to Dream Killer
I blocked those two IP ranges exactly as described, but youtube is still unbearably slow for me on FiOS in central NJ. It has come to the point where everyone in my family wants to switch back to Comcast because youtube streams flawlessly on Comcast.
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

Same for me in Central PA.

Sometimes its fine, but during peek, it's generally unusable.

I think it might be time to start a petition or something to make Verizon focus on this issue. Anyone else interested?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by ScrawnyB:

Sometimes its fine, but during peek, it's generally unusable.

Sometimes its fine, but when you youtube is unusable, it's generally peek.

I know what you meant. I say never let an opportunity for a bad pun go to waste. Thanks for the setup.

wayfun
@verizon.net

wayfun to Dream Killer

Anon

to Dream Killer
Same thing here in Queens NYC with Fios 75/35. Can't watch youtube at peak times.

Firewall rules did not work for me. Changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and there are no noticeable differences with youtube speed.

What is the point of the high speed if one of the most used server is slow / unusable. I use to love Fios but now...