spc
Search similar:

uniqs
goodcow
join:2004-01-28
New York, NY

goodcow

Unionize?

Every article about POTS and DSL here makes mention of the fact that the wireless side of telecom in America isn't unionized. Well, why don't they? Why isn't the CWA making this their top priority? Can we get an article those efforts and their progress in the future?
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

3 recommendations

Crookshanks

They aren't unionized for the same reason that the Japanese auto manufacturers with United States locations aren't unionized. The employees are smart enough to look what what the union has done to their legacy competitors and don't wish to go down that path. There's a reason why unions are dying in the private sector. Their only growth market is in the public sector, where they literally get to pick their boss, which is a major reason why so many state and local governments are going broke.

And before the pro-Union crowd jumps on me for that last bit, you might consider the words of FDR on this subject, then ponder if you can dismiss him as a right-wing corporatist or whatever else the insult of the day happens to be for people who disagree with you politically.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to goodcow

Premium Member

to goodcow
That'll help control costs and keep prices down for consumers. Why do the Verizon Wireless workers need to unionize?
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to goodcow

Premium Member

to goodcow
CWA tried to unionize them as part of the contract negotiation during a strike (around '04 if I recall) but accepted other gains instead... big mistake in hindsight. They figured they would get another chance next negotiation but it has been down-hill since then. There is a very small portion of VZW that is unionized but the rest are considered 'management'. The turn-over rate at the Wireless stores is so high they would never be able to unionize them.

BOGBS
Premium Member
join:2004-05-11

BOGBS to goodcow

Premium Member

to goodcow
AT&T's wireless side is unionized.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

That's strange... I have spoken with some of the AT&T techs that come out to grant us access to their sites for equipment installs and they tell me they work for contractors. I have also seen AT&T sites being built (as well as Verizon) and they also use contractors for that. Do you know which wireless techs specifically are unionized?

Monos
@sbc.com

Monos

Anon

The key word you failed to recognize as the most important part of your statement is contractor, if they are contractors they are not at&t employee's. the occupational employee's at&t are unionized, in both the wireline and wireless. at&t does use a large number of contractors especially, for short term projects like tower buildouts equipment installs and laying fiber/copper.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Yes, exactly my point... I have never seen an AT&T wireless tech (much less a union one) only contractors. I am aware that the wireline side has union techs but, I'll ask again, what tech positions on the wireless side are unionized? What do they do?