Search similar:

uniqs

jodhak
@rga.com

jodhak

Anon

Fox announces Fox Sports 1 & 2..

»msn.foxsports.com/other/ ··· k-030513

looks like Fuel TV and Fox Soccer will go away and FOX Sports 1 & 2 will be added

there is also word that FX will go away and there will be a rebranding there too..

i can see why Verizon has not yet added Fuel TV in HD because they heard of this news over the past 6 months.

if FS1/2 are not added in HD right away there will be a lot of angry people considering the many different sports programming the channels will be adding..

any other input?
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

I only saw FS1 in that announcement. Given the loss of Premier League and Seria A, the demise of Fox Soccer was inevitable. I current pay about $15 a month for Fox Soccer Plus. Once the current Premier League season ends, I will be canceling that. I wonder what is going to happen to Fox Soccer Plus?

sjfiostech
join:2008-07-29
Medford, NJ

sjfiostech to jodhak

to jodhak
I believe that Speed is to become FS1

jodhak
@rga.com

jodhak to OwlSaver

Anon

to OwlSaver
i believe fox soccer plus will be gone.. all soccer programming can merge onto one sports channel with the losses Fox took to NBC..

you may also be correct about just Fox Sports 1 and not a 2nd channel but i did some reading and saw earlier there will be a 2nd channel but that could just be a rumor.

HD is the key of course.. there is no way this channel can not be made available immediately in HD..

sjfiostech
join:2008-07-29
Medford, NJ

1 edit

sjfiostech to jodhak

to jodhak
Fuel to become FS2 and FSC to become FXX

»www.latimes.com/entertai ··· 66.story

»tv.yahoo.com/news/fox-so ··· 321.html
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly to sjfiostech

to sjfiostech
said by sjfiostech:

I believe that Speed is to become FS1

You got it right. Speed, which we already have, will become FS1, we are good to go

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by skohly:

You got it right. Speed, which we already have, will become FS1, we are good to go

Looking forward to the migration as I never watch Speed or Fuel so this should add much more diversity to their sports programming.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

quote:
"taking on ESPN won't be easy. Besides having a more than 30-year head start and rights to just about every major sports property, it owns several channels and has deep enough pockets to withstand any bidding wars for sports properties"
..... At your expense.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to jodhak

to jodhak
This sucks. SPEED, for the most part, and Fox Soccer, are good networks. Who wants FXX? Just more reruns. As for Fox Sports what exactly do they have rights to besides the shambles of the Big East basketball conference?
nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

nfotiu

Saturday mlb and some playoff games. Which will probably be a big part of their leverage for maintaining carriage and increasing their carriage fees. Carriage fees for sports networks are the golden goose while they last.
skottey_
join:2009-07-06
Saint Petersburg, FL

skottey_ to jodhak

to jodhak
said by jodhak :

there is also word that FX will go away and there will be a rebranding there too..

I seriously doubt FX is going away. With great shows like Sons of Anarchy, Louis C.K., and The Americans (among others), I think you are gravely mistaken. FX is not quite right up there with USA, TNT, A&E, etc. as far as popularity perhaps, but it is near the top with its original programming.

Did you mean something else when you said FX?
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

said by skottey_:

I seriously doubt FX is going away. With great shows like Sons of Anarchy, Louis C.K., and The Americans (among others), I think you are gravely mistaken. FX is not quite right up there with USA, TNT, A&E, etc. as far as popularity perhaps, but it is near the top with its original programming.

Did you mean something else when you said FX?

Nope. Not going away exactly, though.

»www.broadcastingcable.co ··· Nets.php
nyrmetros
join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY

nyrmetros to jodhak

to jodhak
NBC Sports has every sports property that I watch. NHL, MLS, EPL, indycar, F1, and USA rugby. I don't need another sports channel. I will definitely miss Fox Soccer Channel.

jodhak
@rga.com

jodhak to skottey_

Anon

to skottey_
there is a lot of confusion here..

the new FS1 channel will have multiple sports progamming.. the combination of UFC, european soccer, motor racing, mlb, football, etc..

the FX rebranding will continue to have the shows that FX currently has... they are just going to rename the channel according to FOX..
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to jodhak

to jodhak
FS1 will debut on August 17. More info here:

»www.broadcastingcable.co ··· g_17.php
skottey_
join:2009-07-06
Saint Petersburg, FL

skottey_ to knarf829

to knarf829
said by knarf829:

Nope. Not going away exactly, though.

»www.broadcastingcable.co ··· Nets.php

Well, that is good news. Nothing wrong with splitting FX into two channels at all. Sounds like they would shovel the shiz like Always sunny in philly over to the new channel. Can't argue with that. Getting rid of the Fox Soccer/Soccer Plus, Speed, Fuel, are no loss in exchange for Fox Sports 1 (and 2 eventually) and two FX style channels. The two sports channels can and will more than handle what Speed/Fuel/Fox Soccer/Soccer Plus handle now.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to jodhak

to jodhak
I think there is. Customers will be "charged" for two channels when one will suffice. 95% of the time FX and FXX will air reruns of shows.

PaCK Fan
join:2012-01-19
Richmond, VA

PaCK Fan to skottey_

to skottey_
and you forget FX has Sunny
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to jodhak

to jodhak
Glad to hear News Corp continues to lose all interesting programming. Their channels look like shit because they're only 720p. Best if the good stuff is kept on the 1080i networks so I can keep ignoring Fox.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by 46436203:

Glad to hear News Corp continues to lose all interesting programming. Their channels look like shit because they're only 720p. Best if the good stuff is kept on the 1080i networks so I can keep ignoring Fox.

I'm not sure it's the 720p. ESPN uses 720p (as does ABC), and their quality is fine. It's the fact that Fox uses a lot of compression -- it's cheaper, and we all know how Rubert pays attention to the bottom line.
donjuan2002
join:2002-10-06
Kearny, NJ

donjuan2002

making space for BeiN sports
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

said by donjuan2002:

making space for BeiN sports

One can hope. Verizon needs to get BeIN 1 and BeIN 2 before the start of next years european soccer season.
46436203 (banned)

46436203 (banned) to PJL

to PJL
said by PJL:

said by 46436203:

I'm not sure it's the 720p. ESPN uses 720p (as does ABC), and their quality is fine. It's the fact that Fox uses a lot of compression -- it's cheaper, and we all know how Rubert pays attention to the bottom line.

No it's not. ESPN looks terrible and so is ABC.

In fact ESPN is one of the worst looking cable networks and ABC is the worst looking broadcast network, even worse than Fox...

Even ESPN's backhauls look like shit, and the standard bitrate for an ESPN backhaul is 38+ Mbps MPEG-2 or H.264. It's pretty obvious that 720p is the limiting factor here.

Have you ever tried watching ESPN 3D? The idiots at Disney still insist on using 720p even for their 3D channel.

So what happens is you get two side-by-side horizontal videos that must fill a 1280x720 space and be combined into a single picture by your 3DTV, giving the video an effective resolution of 1280x360 - that's 460,800 pixels! Barely better than SD. (SD is 345,600 pixels)

The folks at Discovery Communications are actually competent and as such they have selected 1080i for 3net, and the picture quality difference between 3net and ESPN 3D is vast as a result.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by 46436203:

said by PJL:

said by 46436203:

No it's not. ESPN looks terrible and so is ABC.

In fact ESPN is one of the worst looking cable networks and ABC is the worst looking broadcast network, even worse than Fox...

Even ESPN's backhauls look like ***, and the standard bitrate for an ESPN backhaul is 38+ Mbps MPEG-2 or H.264. It's pretty obvious that 720p is the limiting factor here.

Have you ever tried watching ESPN 3D? The idiots at Disney still insist on using 720p even for their 3D channel.

So what happens is you get two side-by-side horizontal videos that must fill a 1280x720 space and be combined into a single picture by your 3DTV, giving the video an effective resolution of 1280x360 - that's 460,800 pixels! Barely better than SD. (SD is 345,600 pixels)

The folks at Discovery Communications are actually competent and as such they have selected 1080i for 3net, and the picture quality difference between 3net and ESPN 3D is vast as a result.

You have the right to your opinion, and I to mine. I do not agree with your assessment.
46436203 (banned)

1 edit

46436203 (banned)

This is not an opinion, though. Some things aren't opinions.

This is fact.

1280 x 720 = 921,600 pixels.
1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels.

There is no need to have a debate about this when the facts are right in front of you. It is a fact that when given a sufficient bitrate 1080i video will look clearer than 720p video no matter what bitrate the 720p video has been assigned as long as the material is filmed natively at 1080i or higher.
mets18
join:2008-10-15
Cranford, NJ

mets18

Correct for a still picture. For fast motion progressive scan has its advantages which is why 1080p looks better than 1080i.
46436203 (banned)

46436203 (banned)

1080i, when properly de-interlaced, is 1080p.

When it comes to Blu-ray, anything with fast motion has to use 1080i, as the Blu-ray specifications only allow a maximum framerate of 24 fps for 1080p. 1080i video, on the other hand, can be up to 30 fps or 60 fields per second.
mets18
join:2008-10-15
Cranford, NJ

mets18

Yes, but LCD and plasma screens cannot deinterlace perfectly so there is deterioration.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

aztecnology to jodhak

Premium Member

to jodhak
I love a good epeen contest...
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by aztecnology:

I love a good epeen contest...

Me too -- but MURICA says it isn't opinion-- he says it's fact. And that he's glad "we go that resolved." Although he does present technical facts, I'm not that arrogant - I think it's also opinion based on perception. And this is my last comment.