Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rjgogo

join:2003-10-22
reply to nunya

Re: Cordless Impact Driver recommendations

said by nunya:

I'm looking at Makita or Bosch this time.

Like many other products, it appears that most cordless power tools now are Chinese junk.

I can not recommend Makita, I have experienced some pretty bad battery issues with them. They crap out after a very short time, thought the Lith-ion would fare better than the Ni-Cad but I was wrong. If I could find a well made unit made in the USA I would happily pay a premium.

As for the Bosch, I have had a bad experience with a corded hammer drill that would not stay engaged unless you held the lever in place awkwardly with your thumb while drilling. It gave out right after the warranty.

I would expand your statement to include that most power tools are now Chinese junk.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to LazMan
Most of my tools are Craftsman. I have been loyal to Sears tools and appliances most of my life. My kitchen stove, microwave, and refrigerator are Kenmore (although I have a Maytag portable dishwasher). My washer and dryer are Kenmore and my window A/C is Kenmore. Most of my tools are craftsman. I do have a few specialty tools like an Ideal telephone plug crimper and a Klein CATV fitting compression tool.

I did break tradition and bought a Weber gas grill last summer after a Kenmore grill failed after three years.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
said by IowaCowboy:

Most of my tools are Craftsman. I have been loyal to Sears tools and appliances most of my life. My kitchen stove, microwave, and refrigerator are Kenmore (although I have a Maytag portable dishwasher). My washer and dryer are Kenmore and my window A/C is Kenmore. Most of my tools are craftsman. I do have a few specialty tools like an Ideal telephone plug crimper and a Klein CATV fitting compression tool.

I did break tradition and bought a Weber gas grill last summer after a Kenmore grill failed after three years.

I hope you realize that Sears has no manufacturing facilities. Their power tools are made by the same company that makes Milwaukee and Ryobi tools, headquartered in Hong Kong. For work, I'll only buy tools from companies that have full control of their manufacturing process.

Same goes for all of their appliances and any other Craftsman product (just different manufacturers).
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to IowaCowboy
Craftsman power tools are crapola. As mentioned, they are Ryobi. I don't think Craftman has had a decent power tool in the last 25 years.
Their hand tools used to be OK quality, but now they suffer as well. I know most of their sockets are now made by the same company that makes Kobalt. Even though they are made in the USA, they are low quality.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
I have been very happy with Craftsman's Nextec line of 12 volt tools. I use them daily and they have held up very good. Power is very great and the tools are holding up well for me. I did burn up a drill but I was drilling multiple 1 1/4" holes through old 2x material. I needed to get the job finished and it was the only drill I had small enough to get into the spaces. As the drill was only about $60 I didn't mind having to replace it after the job was finished.

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to LazMan
I'm picking up the Hitachi 3 piece lithium ion 18v drill driver flashlight for $175 2 batteries/charger. Reviews are good we shall see.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to nunya
Nunya - great point on the impact bits... It's all I buy, but still worth mentioning...

As for the screws snapping - it's the same bucket I was using with the Ryobi, and they weren't snapping off - it's got to be the driver...

After my first real day's work (yesterday) with it - I'm not as impressed with the battery life as some - those that said they got a full day's work from a single battery are either lucky, or work slower then I do... But with two batteries in the kit, I've just been swapping back and forth, so not hurting production at all.

Framed the walls and bulkheads yesterday; started drywalling today... I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but my dimple-bit isn't working for sh_t today, on the new driver, either. Oh well - if it was easy, you wouldn't have to be this good... :P

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

Craftsman power tools are crapola. As mentioned, they are Ryobi. I don't think Craftman has had a decent power tool in the last 25 years.
Their hand tools used to be OK quality, but now they suffer as well. I know most of their sockets are now made by the same company that makes Kobalt. Even though they are made in the USA, they are low quality.

Does it really matter what quality Craftsman hand tools are since they have a lifetime warranty? One and done is nice as long as you don't lose it!
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

crzychrisj

join:2002-03-04
Woodbury, CT
reply to chmod
said by chmod:

I'm picking up the Hitachi 3 piece lithium ion 18v drill driver flashlight for $175 2 batteries/charger. Reviews are good we shall see.

I have these and think they are great as far as the bang for your buck goes. The torque is more than adequate, the batteries last a good amount of time, and charging takes about 30-40 minutes. I bought the impact driver and the drill/flashlight separately, so I have 4 batteries which is real nice for bigger projects! There is a lifetime warranty on the tool, and IIRC the batteries are warranted for 2 years.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to LazMan
said by 35245635:

Does it really matter what quality Craftsman hand tools are since they have a lifetime warranty? One and done is nice as long as you don't lose it!

Yes it does.. when you break your cheap Craftsman ratchet removing a rusted brake caliper bolt and your wife has the other car for a day-long trip to the outlet mall. The warranty does not include a ride to the closest Sears and it won't make those precious daylight hours lost while exchanging the tool come back either.
Expand your moderator at work

stev32k
Premium
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
reply to LazMan

Re: Cordless Impact Driver recommendations

Craftsman used to make excellent tools. Today I will not buy anything they sell. In 1962 I bought a 3/8" drill, jig saw, and 6" bench grinder. They still work as good today as they did 50 years ago. I replaced the brushes in the drill about 1980, but have done nothing to them since. I still use the grinder regularly and jig saw several times a year. The drill not so much.

In about 1985 I bought a Craftsman 10" table saw, 16" drill press, and 12" band saw. They were all junk. The drill press chuck would wobble and drill egg shaped holes, the band saw blade would not stay on the wheels, and the table saw was the worst of the lot. There was no way to set the heel and toe adjustment so that it would stay alined. The parts were aluminum and would bend and warp at the least pressure. I tried to take them back, but ended up having to sell all of them at give-a-way prices.

A few years later I bought a set craftsman chisels. I thought what could go wrong with chisels? Well, I found out. The first time I tried to use one on concrete the tip bent. This was concrete, not steel and the edge of the chisel curled up. Since then I will not buy anything that has the craftsman name - nothing.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to LazMan
I'm going to go completely against the grain here and say that I've got a Ryobi impact driver and I'm quite happy with it.

It's no workhorse, but I'm just a schmuck homeowner. I'm not using it for a trade, and so it's held up fine.

My philosophical side hates myself for it, but there's only so many things I can spend 3x extra on for top quality before I can't even afford the 1x.

A great tool for $49. A good tool at $69 (its normal price). Not Bosch quality, but not a Bosch price tag, either.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to chmod
said by chmod:

There is a difference between a drill-driver and an impact driver. Even for an extensive home project, I wouldn't use a drill to do any driving, just like I wouldn't use an impact tool to do any drilling. Other than that, Hitachi makes great tools and the tool you're picking up will be very good at drilling.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to dennismurphy
I've got no issue with Ryobi stuff - I got 2+ years out of my Ryobi driver before it busticated on me...

Still have a Ryobi drill, circular saw, and sawsall... They work, and are, IMO, a good value... But as I wear them out, I'm replacing with up-level stuff, as well.

herdfan
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

I'm looking for pros/cons to various models or brands - I've got a budget of $250, plus or minus $50...

Leaning towards the DeWalt 20v LiION kit - comes with driver, 2 batteries, charger, and case, for $250

I was able to get that Dewalt and the drill for $299. Look around for the combo.

Love it so far. Miles ahead of my Milwaukee 18V.