rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

[Photos] 17 year old

Click for full size
luckilly all walked away but its my nephew. Who says he went into the corner at 70 when the speed limit on the road was 35
rody_44

rody_44

Premium Member

well shouldnt say they walked away all taken by ambulance and one pretty serious but all lived

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to rody_44

MVM

to rody_44
Ouch - hopefully a lesson learned... Glad they were ok though.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

My nephew and wished i believed he learned his lesson. But i honestly doubt it. He claims 70 somehow i think more. Hit a tree a pole a wall to a house and still rolled 4 times. All on a two lane road posted st 35 on the straight aways. Personnaly i think he played to many video games. He loved to drift and gut tells me thats what it was. I think thats what its called when you pull the hand brake around the corners at high speed. Did i mention it wasnt his car. Actually told his dad, But dad i do it with moms car all the time.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

drifting, i don't believe involves the e-brake, pulling the e-brake when going around a corner is pretty f'in stupid

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to rody_44

MVM

to rody_44
More rally driving - drifting technically involves spinning the rear tires to lose traction.

ridebud
Challenge Accepted
join:2003-12-06
usa

ridebud to rody_44

to rody_44
I hope nobody else got hurt...

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Here you are on restriction with another driver over 21 for a period of time. Then you cannot have anyone under 21 in the car until you turn 18. That keeps the stupid stuff that I did along with most here in our stupid youth.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

More rally driving - drifting technically involves spinning the rear tires to lose traction.

Ebrake turn, and doing it on a road doesn't make sense when you have full traction.(fwd especially)
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

4 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Drifting = going around the corner and staying hard on the gas to see how much sideways you can get . The kid in the back seat is saying they went into the corner at 80. I doubt anyone would attempt to drift at 80 on such a sharp corner. In any case everyone survives and thats the most important part. Tho 2 remain in the hospital. Drifting is just a way of getting sideways and not always done the same way. With a front wheel drive car the ebrake is used. You have to be a complete moron to attempt it at high speeds. But it does indeed look like thats what he was doing. Real clear rear skid marks only leading into the corner. Still cant believe his first statement after was but dad i do it with moms car all the time. Since he is my nephew i will just leave it with saying im sure glad they didnt blood test him. The corner was roughly around a 35 degree turn. Imagine in your mind trying that in a car at 80 mph

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

Drifting is just a way of getting sideways and not always done the same way. With a front wheel drive car the ebrake is used.

General consensus is no, all you are doing is sliding when you lock the e-brake on a FWD vehicle. That's a rallying move, not drifting...

Can a Front wheel drive car drift just as good as Rear wheel Drive cars?
»answers.yahoo.com/questi ··· 41027343
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Copied link rather than try explain. Yahooed drift with front wheel drive car
rody_44

rody_44

Premium Member

Drifting" refers to initiating a slide in a car by causing the rear tires to break traction in a controllable manner. This is a type of high-performance driving that is more common and easier to perform in a rear-wheel drive vehicle, but it is possible to drift a front-wheel drive vehicle with the proper technique, often known as "lift-off oversteer." This technique requires the driver to intentionally destabilize the car and then "catch" the slide before the car either spins out of control or comes to a halt.
rody_44

1 edit

rody_44 to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
Here is a utube video of a guy doing it tho this guys method doesnt yield much until about the 620 mark

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 23IWQx0A

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr ··· sport%29
Cheese

Cheese to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
none of this is drifting... at all
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
up here in the great white north thats what we wait for winter to do, e-brake turns are part of the fun of driving in winter. of course with snow on the ground we can do it at walking speed so not as dangerous as on dry pavement!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Drifting" refers to initiating a slide in a car by causing the rear tires to break traction in a controllable manner. This is a type of high-performance driving that is more common and easier to perform in a rear-wheel drive vehicle, but it is possible to drift a front-wheel drive vehicle with the proper technique, often known as "lift-off oversteer." This technique requires the driver to intentionally destabilize the car and then "catch" the slide before the car either spins out of control or comes to a halt.

Then a Rockford maneuver is drifting, and I don't think you will get many to buy that. It is just sliding or power sliding as you cannot maintain the drift due to no power on the rear wheels that have "broken traction" like in a RWD vehicle that can keep a drift going as long as there is room, and tire tread, and fuel.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I would agree - part of drifting is the smoke generated by the drift and that ain't happening with FWD.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Since he is my nephew i will just leave it with saying im sure glad they didnt blood test him.

I'm sorry I know this is your brothers kid, but if he was drinking or otherwise hampered, he should suffer the max. I have ZERO tolerance for drunk or stupid drivers. He could have killed people, and your glad he wasn't tested.
H_T_R_N

H_T_R_N (banned) to Cheese

to Cheese
said by Cheese:

none of this is drifting... at all

+1

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese to H_T_R_N

Premium Member

to H_T_R_N
He should suffer anyway, sounds like he was driving like a complete idiot and STILL could have killed people.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by Cheese:

He should suffer anyway, sounds like he was driving like a complete idiot and STILL could have killed people.

anyone involved in impared driving should have the book thrown at them, ive known people on both sides of this and i have no pity for the guilty.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Impaired was a assumption on my part. I figure anyone stupid enough to pull the ebrake going into a corner at high speeds have to something wrong with them.
rody_44

rody_44

Premium Member

Actually did anyone actually watch the utube video. Around the 620 mark or shortly after he accomplishes what amounts to drifting and with a front wheel drive car. A car is drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle, to such an extent that often the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right or vice versa).

Cheese
Premium Member
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

Yes, we did, please go watch some REAL drifting videos and learn. Thanks.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Didnt say it was real said it meets the definition of drifting.

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Glad he survived. His insurance premiums will be interesting. My old focus st is good at lift off the gas drifting on dirt roads but you'd have to be moving damn fast to do it on pavement.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Just wanted to let you guys know the state is investigating the crash. The police said after the state gets thru with the investigation it goes to the district attorney to decide if criminal charges get filed because of the injuries and the speed involved. Police officer estimated speed at 60 in a posted 25 speed. Not sure if the 60 gets upped as i believe the air bag module was pulled for investigation purposes. Knowing the road and kid i wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt come in around 70 or even more. Will update on final conclusions. Might ad im pissed as hell about the whole thing knowing i have grandaughters that are passengers and walk around roads with him driving the way he does. Is my nephew tho so i hope he lives and learns but like i said to my son. How many people do u know that actually changed habits do to a accident. Or frankly put a drunk driver usually continues to drive drunk a speeder continues to speed and thats just the way it is. At least until they kill someone.
raythompsontn
join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

raythompsontn

They may pull the black box from the car if the car was new enough to have one. It is really not a black box but data from the computer system. It will show speed, throttle position, braking effort and a few other factors. Generally only a few seconds worth of data but enough to give the police information about what the car was doing immediately before the crash.

There will be criminal charges filed I can almost guarantee. Lucky no one died otherwise manslaughter at a minimum would be presented. The charges could be enough that your nephew will lose his license for several years. He will most certainly be in the high risk insurance pool if the state does not yank his license.

Since others were injured, and typical auto insurance does not cover much medical, your nephew may also be on the hook for civil lawsuits for all medical bills that any insurance companies besides his vehicle insurance paid. If one of the injured had private health insurance, and that insurance paid for treatment, the insurance company will get their money back.

This accident will haunt him for many years to come. The real battles are yet to be fought.