Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

they only alienate future fios customers

i was one of the first verizon dsl customers in my area nearly a decade ago, and recently switched to cable ($30/mo 15mb including MagicJack phone on my own DOCSIS1 cable modem) when verizon said they would demanded you get pots service added to their existing $40/mo 5mb dsl only customers. when fios finally lights up my area in 2014 i won't ever trust their business practices again to give them any of my future business, including my wireless... i just hope TWC does not get half as greedy as "baby bell" verizon has become. my cable modem is working over a coax building wiring plant that has not been touched in 20 years - so I'm pretty sure the last mile wiring has been paid for several times over by now.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit

1 recommendation

I'm disappointed in Verizon. I was excited when they started the FIOS roll out. I knew they would be under wall street pressure short therm but thought they were positioning themselves for the long haul. Nice seeing the normally conservative telephone industry embracing next generation technology.

The last few years have been back to the old days having to deal with an arrogant telephone company.

They are betting the company on wireless - LTE in particular and walking away from everything else.

/tom

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
reply to Packeteers
I've been on Verizon DSL since 12/99. I'd SO love to get FIOS, but living in a suburb of Boston, I don't see that happening any time soon! Yet, a friend in Braintree, one town south of me, emails me a screenshot from speedtest.net showing his FIOS at about 58 down & 35 up. I'm SO jealous. If I want that kind of speed, my only option would be Comcrap. And hate their "first-year" pricing promotions, fees & constant hikes.
--
"I wish Information would stop calling me ma'am!" -- Emory: The Boys in the Band (1970)

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
after a decade on Verizon DSL i too was reluctant and biased against CableTV based ISP's, but you really should give them a try. TWC also gave me a cheaper first year, but unlike Verizon they didn't lock me into a year contract with early cancellation penalties - my service commitment was Month to Month. If Comcast does something similar in your area, and offers the first 30 day trail period with a money back guarantee, I would try to get over my bias and give them a try - while your Verizon modem is still active. being able to compare them side by side finally convinced me what a sucker I was for staying loyal to Verizon