spc
uniqs
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42 to clevere1

to clevere1

Re: [DIRECTV] DTV getting expensive, ideas for getting the price

Chalk up another one in support of actually canceling DirecTV.

Last year around this time, I called DirecTV asking for a discount on my parents' account (I am paying my parents TV package). The best they could do was lower it by $10/month for being "loyal" customer. That was still too high for my taste. Fast forward to August , 2012, FIOS went live at my parents. When I called DTV to cancel the account, they offered to knock nearly $25 off PLUS adding other service. I told them, thanks but no thanks. I will say this, DirecTV customer service was a pleasure to deal with. No attitude, always cheerful. In the end, I kind of feel sorry leaving them.

On a non-related DirecTV, but similar situation. I have Time Warner cable at my home. My bill was running at $102/month. When I called asking for discount, TWC refused to budge, not even the $10 "loyalty" discount offered by DirecTV. I told them go ahead and cancel my cable. 2 days later, TWC called and offer to turn me back on for $75 PLUS DVR!! Unlike DirecTV, customer service at TWC seems to give me attitude problem. The retention rep who called with the $75 person sound more like a used car sales person. Too bad I live in an apartment, TWC is my only choice (no FIOS, satellite dishes are not allowed).

My recommendation is cancel. If you worry about missing tons of shows, programs, I say do it around summer when most shows are reruns. Even if you cancel just for a few weeks, I can guarantee they'll email you some sort of new promo to get back.

Good luck.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by hchen42:

TWC is my only choice (no FIOS, satellite dishes are not allowed).

Your apt complex (land lord, HOA) cannot prohibit you from installing a dish in your exclusive area (read: balcony) so long as you don't do damage to the building.