uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ti

@teksavvy.com
reply to petah

Re: [TekTalk] NEW TekTalk PROMO - Digital Home Phone

said by petah:

said by RuralOtt:

Very very disappointed with the hike out of the blue like that.

Make that +2 here.

This price increase deserves its own thread!

For a Teksavvy DSL/POTS customer, this will be one of *several* price increases over the past couple of years. I've had enough.

I'm not one of those people who drops this phrase every time a small change is made - but I'm saying it now: I'm shopping for a new provider.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2

I'm shopping for a new provider.

Good luck with that on finding an analog POTS service cheaper than Teksavvy.

The vast majority of the POTS customers are on a $22.28 or $22.75 plan. If you have the DSL 6M you would see an overall increase of $1, no? Bearable I would say.

The POTS prices were not changed since 2008 or so. Just look at Bell yearly or more often price increases.

But it is your money after all

ashwinde

join:2012-12-22
Waterloo, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Marc - when does the TekTalk and DSL promo start for ON?

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc
Marc, will the features for home phone be going up also? Right now that is a $6.00 increase for me on phone with the current pricing and 2 features I have.
Looks like I won't be upgrading my dsl service that pretty well wipes out my dsl savings and then some.

--
BHell... A Public Futility.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
said by AkFubar:

Marc, will the features for home phone be going up also? Right now that is a $6.00 increase for me on phone with the current pricing and 2 features I have.
Looks like I won't be upgrading my dsl service that pretty well wipes out my dsl savings and then some.

features will stay the same.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

AkFubar

Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by TSI Marc:

said by AkFubar:

features will stay the same.

ty
--

AkFubar

Toronto CAN.
reply to TSI Marc
sheesh I will almost be paying as much for home phone as I do for my dsl service.
--

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
you should switch to TekTalk and save a bunch
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
said by TSI Marc:

I'd switch my phone service to TekSavvy if you'd go borrow a billion dollars and build a cell network in Montreal :P
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
I hear there's a spectrum auction going on.. what a great time to borrow that kind of money.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

AkFubar

Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Unfortunately not an option for me. I need reliability on landline phone because of my elderly parents.
--

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
ah yeah. hard to beat a land line... and frankly. it's worth the extra money for the peace of mind.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc
For many people under 30, they're not willing to pay double for redundant telephone service. When I moved out from my parents home, I didn't bother getting a landline or even VoIP, because I saw it as redundant when I already was paying for a cellphone.
--

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
yep.. cord cutter.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
No one is offering convergence in Canada. I wish Google Voice came here.

I just want ONE number I can give to people that is accessible from multiple devices, includes unlimited local calling, call forwarding, call display, conferencing, support to send/receive SMS and VM to email.

When I make calls from my cell phone, I don't want the cell number to show up at the other party's end. Because then if I go back to my desk, I'm calling from 2 different numbers. I wish the carriers let you pass your own caller ID, or gave SIP logins for their network. But it will never happen, because they are already invested in traditional home phone service or some kind of VoIP.

If voip.ms offered free SMS inside Canada, I would switch to that immediately. I am already running SIP over LTE, and most of the time call quality is better than Wifi. VoLTE is going to happen in the next 5 years anyway, with more efficient radios and hopefully larger battery capacity.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
The solution to all that is to only use one device. If you only have one device and one phone number, you don't need to worry about convergence.
--

Ti

@teksavvy.com
reply to MFido
said by MFido:

Naturally I've already been looking. And I *did* find a cheaper one, as part of a bundle/promo. So TSI might lose me altogether - which is sad.

said by AkFubar:

Exactly. A net loss. I am truly tired of my Teksavvy bill going up...

said by TSI Marc:

Yeah, wink-wink at your hope to financially disincentivize POTS. It's also a little underhanded; as seen here in this thread - often people who have it, really need it (as is the case for me).

At least with a provider who offers a contract, I can hope to negotiate these ad hoc increases at the end of a given term. This leaves me with a bad feeling about your company, Marc. Even if I were to go VOIP, I'd go with the unbeatable voip.ms.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Guspaz
It's not that easy to find a good voice plan at a reasonable price. I have a Fab 10 6GB for $60 from Bell, but the voice component is only 200 minutes and no caller display. How is anyone supposed to use that? I refuse to fork over another $8 for call display. Wind and Mobi have amazing voice plans, but their coverage is limited and the data networks are completely unusable during the day.

The Thunder Bay promo running now would be perfect to do what you're saying, but it's not available to existing customers plus I am already 9 months into a 3 year contract.

Seriously, if voip.ms offered free SMS inside Canada it would solve all my problems. Martin said it's on the back burner though, and they would probably charge some exorbitant rate like 4 cents per message so 1000 texts costs $40.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc
Well, I'm paying Fido $30 a month for 2000 minutes (and unlimited text), which is effectively unlimited to me, and the $12 value pack includes unlimited long distance, so that's pretty decent. With the 6GB data plan that takes it to $72/mth. Now, if I tried to get voip or a landline to reduce my voice costs, I might knock off ten or fifteen bucks, but and up paying almost as much for voip and way more for a landline.
--

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
I am using freephoneline for incoming/outgoing inside Canada, and all the other voip providers I use for long distance allow me spoof my number. So my voip cost is next to nothing. The only problem is it's very difficult to find a plan from the carriers you can use it on. You need access to LTE, HSPA is not acceptable with 100ms ping and at peak hours jitters of 200ms. And to bring your cost down to something acceptable it almost always has to be a promotion or some retention deal.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Ti
said by Ti :

said by MFido:

Naturally I've already been looking. And I *did* find a cheaper one, as part of a bundle/promo. So TSI might lose me altogether - which is sad.

said by AkFubar:

Exactly. A net loss. I am truly tired of my Teksavvy bill going up...

said by TSI Marc:

Yeah, wink-wink at your hope to financially disincentivize POTS. It's also a little underhanded; as seen here in this thread - often people who have it, really need it (as is the case for me).

At least with a provider who offers a contract, I can hope to negotiate these ad hoc increases at the end of a given term. This leaves me with a bad feeling about your company, Marc. Even if I were to go VOIP, I'd go with the unbeatable voip.ms.

What else can I say? I'm busting my balls trying to help dude. I can't explain to you exactly why it's going up but it really does need to go up. It's needed to go up for a while. I was waiting for the CRTC decision to do it all at once.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Well, I'm paying Fido $30 a month for 2000 minutes (and unlimited text), which is effectively unlimited to me, and the $12 value pack includes unlimited long distance, so that's pretty decent. With the 6GB data plan that takes it to $72/mth. Now, if I tried to get voip or a landline to reduce my voice costs, I might knock off ten or fifteen bucks, but and up paying almost as much for voip and way more for a landline.

You must have a really really REALLY old voice plan then...lucky for you!

I've had Fido for almost 3 years now...and my bill is about $75/month with just 1GB data...I only get 200 outgoing but unlimited incoming minutes...

Lucky! Oh well.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc
There are definitely advantages of having multiple devices tied to one voice account. Whether it be via landline or cellular or voip. Fire alarms, burgler alarms, medical alert alarms - those are especially important for people in special care or the elderly at risk from falls.

What happens if your cell phone is lost or stolen? You can't call your provider to suspend your service without borrowing someone else's phone. Then the battery drains so fast you have to carry two in your wallet. Having only one device can be stressful.
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Ti
How many times has TSI actually increased the monthly rate on POTS?

You can't expect any company to keep prices static forever, it's not doable. Costs go up. And they're not all related to simply just what the incumbents charge to TSI. Look at how often Rogers and Bell raise rates on their services compared to any TPIA. There's nothing underhanded about what TSI is doing. And even after the price hike they are still cheaper than Bell's own service. Even if the price hike didn't come now, it would happen eventually, there's this little thing called inflation that ensures the price you pay the same product or service goes up over time.

petah

join:2002-07-27
L9T
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

What else can I say? I'm busting my balls trying to help dude. I can't explain to you exactly why it's going up but it really does need to go up. It's needed to go up for a while. I was waiting for the CRTC decision to do it all at once.

Reading between the lines ... Bell is raising the whole sale POTS price because too many customers are flocking to Teksavvy's POTS service thus hitting the ceiling of signed agreement. Bell is pissed off it cannot charge these customers $15/month extra for a feature such as caller ID.

That's too bad... the POTS price has always been the same. Maybe the price increase should have been gradual at 50 cents a year instead of $4 bucks all at once which is about 20% increase.

How much exactly is it going up by? I am paying $18.35 + $3.13 touch tone/911 fee totaling $21.48 before taxes.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
reply to TSI Marc
did i miss something about being on cable, what would be the price since i dont need dryloop

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
said by vincom:

did i miss something about being on cable, what would be the price since i dont need dryloop

You save $2/mth on Unlimited TekTalk...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

da_guy2

join:2003-06-10
Kanata, ON
reply to TSI Marc
So Marc,

I guess there's no chance we can get the dryloop fee discounted on tektalk premiun?

Thanks

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by vincom:

You save $2/mth on Unlimited TekTalk...

When is this all going down?

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
reply to TSI Marc
strange, im on pots w/tsi and it seems i cant port my number according to tsi's website, is it because i dont need to port
also can i use my own ata