uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN

1 edit

Sprint 4G LTE Coming My Way

»newsroom.sprint.com/article_disp···_id=2495

My city is listed last on the list of LTE upgrades, this was over a month ago, but at least it's finally happening. With this in mind.

- What frequecy does Sprint LTE use?
- Will the Cyfre Amp work with it if the frequency is the same as 3G?

I noticed Millenicom had the 3G/4G 50GB plan, no BYOD plan for it unfortunately.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1
Sprint LTE is on 1900 mhz so Cyfre amplifier works . The current device being offered by Millenicom does not work on Sprint LTE . It works on Clear WiMax which is on 2500 mhz
--
»www.maximumsignal.net/

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
That's great about the Cyfre Amp still being able to work. It hasn't hit my area yet, based on the coverage maps at least. I guess I will just need to wait for Millenicom to get a plan that works with Sprint LTE, if they ever do.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
Millenicom does have a plan that works with Sprint LTE ... the BYOD plan. But good luck trying to find a affordable device that works on it ... like the Sierra Wireless 4G LTE Tri-Fi Hotspot
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
I am not a fan of the hotspot devices, I found this device on their site - »shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/ph···mbc&ptn=

USB modem supports 4G LTE, WiMax, and 3G. Probably check ebay, see if I can get the device cheaper.

And the BYOD Plan works with LTE you say, so would I just have to pay an activation fee to set up the new card?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Run the device name across Millenicom first before you purchase it
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
reply to Dexter1992
Does the device have an external antenna port ? They are not available here so I cannot look at one up close
--
»www.maximumsignal.net/

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
The USB modem is called - Sprint Plug-in-Connect Tri-Mode USB

Here is the description from Sprint:

"Who will love it:

Speed demons looking to stay connected on the go. The first Sprint tri-network mobile broadband USB device offers quick connections to our 4G LTE, 4G (WiMax) and 3G networks. Get real-time access to your company's resources and networks so you can finish your work in a snap. Need some brain candy? You'll love how fast you can surf the Web, check email and download music and movies.

Work smarter:

The rotating USB connector works like an Ethernet cable. Plug it into your Windows, Mac or Linux OS laptop or desktop for instant online gratification. There's no waiting for software installation, no start-up delay and no searching for Wi-Fi networks. The device, small enough to slip into your pocket, also features internal and external antenna support for comprehensive coverage."

It's model number is the Franklin U770 USB, you can set it to either Wimax only, 4G LTE only, 3G only, LTE and CDMA only, and Auto(All modes). Odly another feature is that you can now set a custom DNS address in the software. Looking at the diagram it has 4 antennas, A GPS antenna, a WiMax antenna, a CDMA/LTE Main antenna, and a CDMA/LTE Sub antenna.

Here is the adapter cable for an external antenna - »3gstore.com/product/4018_frankli···ble.html

User Guide PDF - »shop.sprint.com/global/pdf/user_···t_ug.pdf

It's $250 on the website for just the modem, $50 with 2-year contract.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY
Well sounds like you are set . Just make sure Millenicom can activate it for you and 4G is definitely lit up on your towers before buying it.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
Yeah, just in time as well. 3G has gotten so congested, at least the tower I am using. It's as if several more people jumped on the tower that was already struggling.

spec

join:2007-07-16
Topeka, KS
reply to Dexter1992
If you find somewhere to pickup the U770 other than sprint let me know. I talked to Millenicom about activating one with them and they never heard back from sprint with a confirmation but were willing to try activating it if I got my hands on one.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
Will do if I can, checked eBay and nothing. The modem must just be brand new and in limited areas. I really don't want to pay $250 for a modem. Looks like there is no other choice however.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
reply to Dexter1992
I just realized that when I get the modem, that means my MBR-1000 will be useless, as there is no support for the modem, and there won't be.

spec

join:2007-07-16
Topeka, KS
yep, the CradlePoint MBR1200B did just get an update that supports it though.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
I have a TP-Link router flashed with DD-WRT that most likely supports it, or will soon. I will use that.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Dexter1992
Have had LTE on one tower in Fredericksburg, TX for several months now, but Wed night/Thu morning LTE went live on two more sites. I know a couple folks, including my boss, who are using MCom or similar for home broadband right now because nothing better was available. Of those, my boss is already planning on grabbing a TriFi with the antenna dock and retiring 3G service in favor of 4G. The cost of the device is offset by the productivity increase of having 'net speeds comparable to a standard cable connection (on downloads/ uploads are miles better) without having to drive/bike into town.

The USB modem, as others have seen, is currently MIA anywhere outside of Sprint direct, while the TriFi has been around for a bit and is thus easier to get ahold of.

As for amps, all LTE on Sprint is currently being deployed in the PCS G band, which abuts the normal 1900MHz band that Sprint has used for 2G+3G. An amp might work...or it might not. You also have to remember that LTE signal reception involves two antennas (like 802.11n) rather than just one, so if you're hooking up a grid or omni you may sacrifice throughput despite pulling a better signal.