spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Québec & Promo

So you are charging customers in Quebec more than ontario even if the tarrif is the same to offset the cost of what rogers did?
doesn't seem like a "fair" practice for dsl users of another province to pay for it. / should keep dsl and cable in different business planning

We all know you guys are a business and need to make a profit, but offsetting prices to pay other users Choices? Doesn't seem right.

that is like people that user regular fuel , should pay more to help offset the cost of "premium fuel users"

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

I agree with everyone, if Rogers rates go up the price of the cable packages should go up in isolation. DSL should not get hit by a price increase in the cable business. TekSavvy et all should now be driving people back to DSL, reduce interconnection capacity and punish the cable companies with revenue loss, otherwise they will never get the message that they raised their prices too damn high.

It's not like we have a third choice, it's cable or DSL. Don't make both options suck.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

said by BliZZardX:

I agree with everyone, if Rogers rates go up the price of the cable packages should go up in isolation. DSL should not get hit by a price increase in the cable business. TekSavvy et all should now be driving people back to DSL, reduce interconnection capacity and punish the cable companies with revenue loss, otherwise they will never get the message that they raised their prices too damn high.

It's not like we have a third choice, it's cable or DSL. Don't make both options suck.

The problem is there are vasts swaths of suburban areas (like mine, and Im actually along one of London's marjor artery roads) that only have access to 5/1 or 6/1. It's simply just not an option for those of us stuck in areas Bell has not upgraded yet. As much as I'd like a message sent to the MSOs (Rogers/Cogeco/Videotron/Shaw), I also want affordable and usable internet service.

As for how TSI balancs and costs & revenues between DSL & Cable services, I have my thoughts but I will keep them. The topic seems to pretty hot button amongst people. All I will say is that unlike Rogers and Bell that only offer 1 of each, TSI is offering both but is still one company. They need to generate a net profit at the end of the day. It's nice that TSI is open and honest about how it goes about doing its business, but at the end of the day the customer's main concern is the service they're paying for, how they're paying and quality/customer service; while TSI's to ensure they offer good service, competitive prices, while still staying in business.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

The rates on cable did go up for new speeds...

The DSL rates went down.. The legacy 6 meg in particular is a big hit.

The difference in QC and ON is not due to anything other than a difference in cost for each of those. The regular rates are the same in both provinces.

If anything it's more a question of choosing to help existing users on legacy 6 than choosing between on and qc.

My own opinion is that its not fair... I don't agree with it. But it's a promo...
LastDon

LastDon to TypeS

to TypeS
I live in london too, near Fanshawe college and just got 15Mbps up to 25Mbps according to bell.

Anyway Long story short is the business should kept apart DSL vs Cable my opinion. And why should Quebec Users have to pay for Rogers Fees?

It should be Ontario DSL users that pay to offset Rogers

Why is QUebec offsetting higher DSL pricers for Rogers? that is utter crap...

Quebec

15 mbps (FTTN)
75 Gigs - $38.99
300 Gigs - $42.99
Illimité/Unlimited - $56.99

Ontario
15/1 mbps (FTTN)
75 Gigs - $31.99
300 Gigs - $36.99
Unlimited - $49.99

Thats a difference at least in Promo sense.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Interesting, I'm down the street from Fanshawe myself, but I asked Bell last week and they told me 5/1 only.

I think people are jumping the gun here in assuming the pricing decisions for DSL are directly related to those on Cable. Cogeco rates went through the roof, and Rogers rates went up by almost 30% on some packages for unlimited. Unless I missed post from a TSI rep somewhere stating they are going to using profits from DSL customers to offset losses on Cable customers, I think it is wild assumption to make.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by TypeS:

Interesting, I'm down the street from Fanshawe myself, but I asked Bell last week and they told me 5/1 only.

I think people are jumping the gun here in assuming the pricing decisions for DSL are directly related to those on Cable. Cogeco rates went through the roof, and Rogers rates went up by almost 30% on some packages for unlimited. Unless I missed post from a TSI rep somewhere stating they are going to using profits from DSL customers to offset losses on Cable customers, I think it is wild assumption to make.

Everything was priced to stand on its own. I did post earlier but I didn't explain myself very well. The only way I could have made QC the same would have been to eat the losses. I was merely pointing out that I was already eating two big losses.. But each service still stands on its own. (Not sure if that's more clear or not, looking at all these numbers for hours on end is messing with my head.)
LastDon

LastDon to TypeS

to TypeS
Yep I know the feeling.. my friend down the street from me about 1 block and a bit.. can't get 15Mbps only up to 5Mbps.. bell told him May 1st his area will be upgraded for sure.

I was only pointing out the difference in DSL pricing between ontario and quebec.

Reality is if you want cable it will be more expensive and teksavvy shouldn't have to eat cost for Cable customers.

DSL should be priced accordingly with the drop in Tariff but again NO INDIE is expected to adjust any cost if they don't want.

they are a business and we shouldn't expect them to do price changes.
dragonfly5
join:2012-09-04

dragonfly5 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I also want to know why the prices are $8 more expensive in Quebec. That's non-trivial, I'll switch to another provider if it comes down to it.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by dragonfly5:

I also want to know why the prices are $8 more expensive in Quebec. That's non-trivial, I'll switch to another provider if it comes down to it.

Regular rates are the same. Promo is different because promo costs are different.

Montreal DSL
join:2011-02-02
Montreal-DSL

Montreal DSL

said by Montreal DSL:

said by TSI Marc:

1. - The promotion is likely to be available for the rest of the year.
2. - Promo rates are for the duration of your service or until you change your service.

Marc, just to be sure I get this right:

1 = The promo may be available until the end of the year so all customers subscribing until year end will be able to get the promo rates
2 = Once you get into the promo rates, you'll pay these rates for the next years as well or until you change your service, not only until the year end

Marc, can you please clarify this as well?
levesque739
join:2008-05-13
Laval, QC

1 edit

levesque739 to dragonfly5

to dragonfly5
said by dragonfly5:

Teksavvy is not the only one with different prices for DSL in Quebec and Ontario.
As an example, Velcom's DSL 15 with 400GB is 50$ in Qc and 40$ in ON. Ebox DSL 15 250GB is 45$ in Qc and 38$ in ON. So if i had to guess, i think Bell has negociated with ISP's a lower price then mandated by the CRTC in ON to compete with Rogers since Videotron's price is much higher in QC, and those ISP are giving that rebate to customers in ON. This would make sense from Bell... they prefer people choosing DSL instead of cable in ON when going to independent ISP's because they at least get some money that way.

Taken from »New pricing 2013 - Nouveau prix 2013

> Why such a price discrepency between Quebec and Ontario? Because competition is higher in Ontario on pricing/speed and we negotiated better rates so we pass the saving to our clients instead of banking the extra profit.

inferno_gn
Premium Member
join:2007-02-26
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
Hi there,

So price is going up or down?

Ju Leon...

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

Jay_P to levesque739

to levesque739
said by levesque739:

> Why such a price discrepency between Quebec and Ontario? Because competition is higher in Ontario on pricing/speed and we negotiated better rates so we pass the saving to our clients instead of banking the extra profit.

The "negotiated" rates almost certainly had higher UBB capacity rates. We have a bunch of wholesalers trying to be mini Bhells now, just great.
Jay_P

1 edit

Jay_P to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Marc if you can do a promo where ppl moving from cable to DSL get an extra $6/mo off for the promo period I will seriously consider it.

59.95 for unlimited would be acceptable but paying $6 simply based on where I live is a deal breaker.

*I can understand wanting to help legacy DSL clients but we're also paying a new setup + a modem that will cost ~$120.

cognizantt6
join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC

cognizantt6 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I'm in Montreal, dsl 6mb down - does the price 32.99$ apply to me as an existing customer or is this just for new sign-ups ?
xtrike
join:2006-12-08
Montreal, QC

xtrike to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Not sure if it already posted here, but is there still a mandatory rental fee for VDSL?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to cognizantt6

Premium Member

to cognizantt6
said by cognizantt6:

I'm in Montreal, dsl 6mb down - does the price 32.99$ apply to me as an existing customer or is this just for new sign-ups ?

existing users get those rates.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to xtrike

Premium Member

to xtrike
said by xtrike:

Not sure if it already posted here, but is there still a mandatory rental fee for VDSL?

not sure about all the modem stuff yet though but I do know we'll have a purchase option.
JonyBelGeul
Premium Member
join:2008-07-31

2 edits

JonyBelGeul to levesque739

Premium Member

to levesque739
said by levesque739:

said by dragonfly5:

Teksavvy is not the only one with different prices for DSL in Quebec and Ontario.
As an example, Velcom's DSL 15 with 400GB is 50$ in Qc and 40$ in ON. Ebox DSL 15 250GB is 45$ in Qc and 38$ in ON. So if i had to guess, i think Bell has negociated with ISP's a lower price then mandated by the CRTC in ON to compete with Rogers since Videotron's price is much higher in QC, and those ISP are giving that rebate to customers in ON. This would make sense from Bell... they prefer people choosing DSL instead of cable in ON when going to independent ISP's because they at least get some money that way.

Did anybody else catch this? I'll tell you what I get out of that innocuous statement.

- Rates submitted by the incumbents to the CRTC are bogus
- A little competition goes a long way
- Incumbents have gobs of capacity for cheap
- QC customers are being milked due to lack of competition/to subsidize Ontario/to subsidize incumbent retail
- I'm pissed. Aren't you?

It's not such an innocuous statement. This kind of negotiation is usually done behind closed doors, and nobody talks about it afterwards. But here, we have the CEO of Ebox telling the world about it, thereby revealing the true state of the Canadian broadband market. I bet this bit will be picked up by somebody important, then the shit's going to hit the fan. In fact, Imma email Geist and see what happens.

This is the logic:

- If lower rates due to competition, then rates filed not based on costs
- If rates not based on costs, yet lower rates, then costs must be lower than filed
- If costs lower than filed, then must file new rates based on lower costs
- CRTC must review and issue new lower rates
Marc_Mtl
join:2006-03-02

Marc_Mtl

The price difference is because all packets must be translated to French as well. This adds serious overhead, and so, extra costs.

Euh...say what?
simsin0
join:2008-01-06

simsin0

Yea Im also uncertain how it can be justified that the rates are so different. If the tariffs apply to both QC and ON then how come we pay more?

Don't get me wrong I am verrry happy with teksavvy and one reason I like them so much is because is because of them being honest and upfront with us while maintaining high standards of quality service. ( I called with a tech issue and the gentleman on the phone was overqualified! He helped me fix an issue that bell would never be able to do)

There for I am willing to pay a premium for the honesty and the service but the analytical part of me doesn't understand how the rates differ in ON and QC.

PS: the only thing I could think of at equal tarrifs is there is something like heavier usage in QC per avg customer

Jay_P
Montreal, QC

Jay_P to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Bumping thread, it was about to fall to page 3, this is when you know the plans aren't all that great. :P

virtual version of the rolling tumbleweed and cricket sounds.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Pretty much. I am a bit disappointed by this considering what some of the other indies offering, especially for those who have dry-loop.

Hoping they will be able to modify it further sometime soon.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

who knows what might happen between now and when we go live.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Yup, it's why I'm still sticking with you guys and hope you will be able to change things around a bit.
donkey77
join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC

donkey77 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

who knows what might happen between now and when we go live.

yeah, I'm going to wait to cheer/complain once the new prices are written in stone Ontario vs Quebec.
simsin0
join:2008-01-06

simsin0 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Marc, whats the estimated timeframe to finalize and implement all the new stuff?

cognizantt6
join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC

cognizantt6

i think he said yesterday 1 to 3 weeks

Jay_P
Montreal, QC

Jay_P to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Marc,

Since you're keeping the max overage at $25.00.

If you run a promo $52.95 for 25/10 300 GB + DRY LOOP (>Band B) you will provide an interesting alternative to EBox + DRY LOOP (>Band B) at $50.95

That would give me an incentive to move from unlimited cable, I'd know that on most months I'd end up paying $52.95 with a max of $77.95/mo which is still $8 cheaper than unlimited 30/3(10) cable.

Unlimited 25/10 + DRY LOOP (>Band B) at $69.95 would give Ebox a run for their money and $8/mo incentive to go Unlimited vs 300 GB+max overage.