Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

1 edit

Eug to BliZZardX

to BliZZardX

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario & Promo

said by BliZZardX:

Rogers tried sending us a digital adapter for an analog account but we promptly returned it because while the box is "free" it adds an extra $2.99 Digital Services Fee to the bill

I wonder if that was a mistake. Rogers' CSRs are still very confused about these digital adapters. I wouldn't know though since I already have digital cable.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Eug

MVM

to Eug
said by Eug:

What I'd really like to see though is a small box that supports component out and HDMI out, and has remote compatibility, without being the size of a Scientific Atlanta 4642. HD would be nice, but even 480p would be welcome, as long as it were better quality than what you get out of real world coax TV connections.

Videotron's non-PVR SD digital cable boxes are pretty small. Here are the relative sizes in inches:

HD PVR: 15.8" x 10.6" x 3.1"
HD: 11.8" x 8.7" x 2.8"
SD: 7.9" x 5.9" x 2.8"

For comparison:

SB6120 cable modem: 5.7" x 5.7" x 1.5"

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by nitzguy:

50-150 cuts through an interesting set of the spectrum...and CRTC will have to mandate the actual shutdown of analogue (and by that I mean the basic/basic service that still runs out there today)....

AFAIK, the analog shutdown is already over and cablecos have no obligation to provide analog.

The requirement to provide "basic" service including local programming available OTA can be met by putting those channels on digital-SD/HD (if they weren't already) and telling remaining analog subscribers to get a digital STB.

The main reason most cablecos still have analog is as a courtesy for people who are sticking with cable to avoid needing an STB. If Videotron killed analog, I will most likely go OTA.

That analogue shutdown was in regards to OTA transmitters, not cable companies. They've moved their "Value pack tiers" (that used to be trapped by filters) into digital only services, but I"m pretty sure if you unhook your digital box and plunk the cable into your TV you'll still get a range in the 2-13 range at the minimum I'm sure.

Again its a spectrum that wants to be avoided as Channel 2 analogue starts at 54mhz....there's a reason why when "digital" transmitters OTA avoid this spectrum in the Channel 2-6 range because of the issues it causes...I don't know if it'd be ideal for upstream capacity because of all of the general noise in this band...

But I'm sure the science types will have it all figured out soon.

The reason why the digital adapters came about because channels like TSN and Sportsnet went to "digital" only, but local channels like your local CBC/CTV/Weather channel/et al are still available on regular cable...although again this may change based on the actual cable provider itself, ie. Shaw might have different channels vs Rogers vs Cogeco vs Eastlink...heck its funny my gf lives in an area that is analogue only....in kinda the middle of nowhere...but she gets channels 2-29, just straight into the tv, no digital box, no nothing...its fun to watch TSN on Channel 6.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by nitzguy:

That analogue shutdown was in regards to OTA transmitters, not cable companies.

I know the shutdown was for OTA. My point was that there are no regulatory obligations for analogue on cable, cablecos can turn off analog whenever they want, all they need to do is move whatever remaining analog subscribers and analog-only channels they have to digital first.
said by nitzguy:

Again its a spectrum that wants to be avoided as Channel 2 analogue starts at 54mhz....there's a reason why when "digital" transmitters OTA avoid this spectrum in the Channel 2-6 range because of the issues it causes...I don't know if it'd be ideal for upstream capacity because of all of the general noise in this band...

The noise over the 54-90MHz range is unlikely to be any worse than the 1-45MHz one and with cable nodes becoming increasingly small due to splits, ingress noise from the environment is also getting that much weaker. We aren't in the early days of cable where coax runs could extend for several kilometers and were poorly shielded enough that OTA channels could bleed badly enough into cable to the point of almost overpowering the cable signal for subscribers far down the line.

Today's runs are only a few hundred meters and the cables have much better shielding with improved connectors, taps, splitters, etc. so ingress noise is nowhere near as big a problem as it used to be 25-30 years ago.
keenmay
join:2010-08-22

keenmay to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
bah, I'm keeping my 6mbps and my POTS phone, so no saving for me. Most of the saving is from the dryloop fee that is now waived.

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

said by keenmay:

I'm keeping my 6mbps and my POTS phone

X2 , if you want answers via the direct forum , they'll just say they don't know anything ...
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to d4m1r

to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

Don't want to explain everything again but do a little search on these forums or even wikipedia how DSL works and you'll see it was always a bad fit for Canada but unfortunately, people with the same mentality as yours (priority on "consumer pricing", whatever that is) are holding the rest of us 21st century folk back....

What about YOUR mentality that places a priority on "consumer pricing"? "Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting". But seriously, have you considered that there is no compelling reason for gigabit fibre for many Canadians? If not for being a hockey fan, and subscribing to NHL Gamecenter Live, I'd still be OK with the 640Kbit service. As it is, I upgraded a few years ago to 5 (which became 6) megabit ADSL. My current desktop (a 2007 Dell with onboard Intel GPU) can only handle the lowest-speed feed of NHL games. I've got a newer HTPC hooked up to my 50" plasma in my living-room for the highest-speed feed. Not quite HD, but better than SD quality.

And please don't tell me to go cable. From everything I've read, cable sucks. There are tons of cable horror stories on this forum. A DHCP server at Rogers broke down, and Teksavvy Cable customers couldn't log on for a week. Cable customers, whose super-duper speeds can allegedly smoke my 6 mbps ADSL, find Youtube 480 SD videos lagging/buffering. Meanwhile, I get 1080p HD Youtube videos just fine, thank you. One of my former co-workers, who lives in the same condo building I do, told me she and her husband quit Rogers because the TV service was out half the time. Bell has FTTN at this building, and had a Fibe-TV promotional event. Teksavvy's website says I qualify for 25 megabit ADSL service at my postal code. But why bother?
GuardianU
join:2009-09-30

GuardianU to Eug

to Eug
You might want to have Rogers come out and check your line. I just setup one of those boxes and the quality is perfect. (On an old Tube TV) I had Rogers come in and put down new cable after the tech came and found that there was a problem with the line. You may not have enough signal strength or there could be an incorrect splitter or too many of them that degrade the signal.

(I also believe the $2.99 fee someone else was talking about is because that person is on an old analog account. I have no monthly fee for having the free box. It probably has to do with your package.)

Back to the DSL, I'm eagerly awaiting news as to when I can switch and what the VDSL modem will cost to buy.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

1 edit

AkFubar to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
On the matter of the pots phone increase, I had a chance to think about this last night after the initial shock wore off. I have to agree with others that although naturally I am not happy about paying more, in perspective, the service has been very reliable and basically "increase free" since I joined up back in Jan. 2009. It does still offer value for me and I am sure that I would be paying much more if I had stayed with BHell for the same service.

Knowing TSI as I do, and based on their history of transparency, I am quite sure that Marc would not have increased this fee if it wasn't necessary.

I may indeed switch to TekTalk eventually if I can feel comfortable about the reliability in emergency situations. I will explore this and others as a potential option.
Calmuser
Calmuser
join:2011-10-27
Canada

Calmuser to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I guess we won't be getting an answer as to why the 10 and 15 rates went up while the 25 went down..

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to Walter Dnes

Premium Member

to Walter Dnes
said by Walter Dnes:

said by d4m1r:

Don't want to explain everything again but do a little search on these forums or even wikipedia how DSL works and you'll see it was always a bad fit for Canada but unfortunately, people with the same mentality as yours (priority on "consumer pricing", whatever that is) are holding the rest of us 21st century folk back....

What about YOUR mentality that places a priority on "consumer pricing"? "Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting". But seriously, have you considered that there is no compelling reason for gigabit fibre for many Canadians? If not for being a hockey fan, and subscribing to NHL Gamecenter Live, I'd still be OK with the 640Kbit service. As it is, I upgraded a few years ago to 5 (which became 6) megabit ADSL. My current desktop (a 2007 Dell with onboard Intel GPU) can only handle the lowest-speed feed of NHL games. I've got a newer HTPC hooked up to my 50" plasma in my living-room for the highest-speed feed. Not quite HD, but better than SD quality.

And please don't tell me to go cable. From everything I've read, cable sucks. There are tons of cable horror stories on this forum. A DHCP server at Rogers broke down, and Teksavvy Cable customers couldn't log on for a week. Cable customers, whose super-duper speeds can allegedly smoke my 6 mbps ADSL, find Youtube 480 SD videos lagging/buffering. Meanwhile, I get 1080p HD Youtube videos just fine, thank you. One of my former co-workers, who lives in the same condo building I do, told me she and her husband quit Rogers because the TV service was out half the time. Bell has FTTN at this building, and had a Fibe-TV promotional event. Teksavvy's website says I qualify for 25 megabit ADSL service at my postal code. But why bother?

FYI in my experience NHL Gamecenter isn't great on Rogers cable because of node congestion in my area (High Park, Toronto). It -works-, but constantly flips between HD and SD feeds as the streaming system decides it's too slow for HD and cycles down, then cycles back up when it finds the bandwidth acceptable again.

TekSavvy DSL is basically locked on HD from game start to end.
Eug
Canada

3 edits

Eug

Consistent speed is better than uber high top speed

said by GuardianU:

You might want to have Rogers come out and check your line. I just setup one of those boxes and the quality is perfect. (On an old Tube TV) I had Rogers come in and put down new cable after the tech came and found that there was a problem with the line. You may not have enough signal strength or there could be an incorrect splitter or too many of them that degrade the signal.

I've indeed had signal issues, so Rogers has come by several times, and eventually installed a signal amplifier in the house and replaced some splitters, and then went as far as installing RG11 to my house (replacing the old RG6). However, I have many active outlets in the house. In fact, that's one reason I'm a little hesitant to install Rogers cable internet. Doing that would lower the signal to the rest of the house significantly, potentially impacting TV viewing. The other reason is peak time slowdowns for cable internet downloads.

With that amplifier and RG11 installation my digital signal is now OK for TV. Both HD and SD look fine 8300HD PVRs and 3250HD. Still, that digital adapter has horrid quality in comparison.

BTW, during a reno I replaced a lot of my existing cable (a lot of which was RG59) with brand new RG6. Most of it was the regular builders' RG6 you find at Rona, but for a couple of critical lines I installed higher end Belden cable. To my pleasant surprise, it actually makes a small and consistent signal strength difference even for regular residential distances.
said by Walter Dnes:

My current desktop (a 2007 Dell with onboard Intel GPU) can only handle the lowest-speed feed of NHL games. I've got a newer HTPC hooked up to my 50" plasma in my living-room for the highest-speed feed. Not quite HD, but better than SD quality.

Meanwhile, I get 1080p HD Youtube videos just fine, thank you. One of my former co-workers, who lives in the same condo building I do, told me she and her husband quit Rogers because the TV service was out half the time. Bell has FTTN at this building, and had a Fibe-TV promotional event. Teksavvy's website says I qualify for 25 megabit ADSL service at my postal code. But why bother?

Having to constantly have long buffering times with high bitrate YouTube HD would be really irritating. But even more irritating would be the limitation of quality on other content, such as your NHL games, or in my case, Netflix HD.

I don't really need 25 Mbps, but I wouldn't be happy with less than a 15 Mbps account. 15+ Mbps allows you to have Netflix 1080p SuperHD playing and a background large file downloading to your computer, without significantly impacting surfing at the same time. It'd be pushing it though, and 25 Mbps adds extra cushion, while also providing high upload speeds (10 Mbps up in this case) if you want to upload an HD video to Vimeo or something for example.
said by SimplePanda:

FYI in my experience NHL Gamecenter isn't great on Rogers cable because of node congestion in my area (High Park, Toronto). It -works-, but constantly flips between HD and SD feeds as the streaming system decides it's too slow for HD and cycles down, then cycles back up when it finds the bandwidth acceptable again.

TekSavvy DSL is basically locked on HD from game start to end.

Indeed. As I've said before, on non-aggregated TPIA, TSI cable sucks in my area. I'm hoping for better for ATPIA, but we shall see. I'll let others be the guinea pigs, but I do know that people on Rogers on this POI also sometimes do have problems.

As I've said before, after a certain threshold, perhaps around 20 Mbps-ish, I value consistency more than top speed. I also like having good uploads, so TSI's 25 VDSL2 plan seems appropriate. This is not to say that VDSL2 is perfect, but judging by posts in this forum, in my area, my experience with VDSL2 has been much better than TSI customers with cable. YMMV.
mkay
join:2008-04-13
Kingston, ON

mkay to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

I wish bell would install a damn remote in this city.
The new 6mbps tier is cheaper than what i am currently paying for 2mbps 75gb(1.5mbps actual speed).

Its also been going down all the time for a week now because of ice/snow melting and freezing on the lines.
Eug
Canada

Eug

said by mkay:

No remotes in Kingston?

PlatooN
join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

PlatooN to mkay

to mkay
said by mkay:

The new 6mbps tier is cheaper than what i am currently paying for 2mbps 75gb(1.5mbps actual speed).

Its also been going down all the time for a week now because of ice/snow melting and freezing on the lines.

ice and snow melting and freezing on the lines should NOT affect your sync. I suspect the link is nicked somewhere, and MIGHT actually be the reason you can only get 2mbps!
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean to mkay

to mkay
If you see a degradation of your signal during the melt, you will probably experience a lot of sync losses (that's what happened to me). Just plug your modem directly at the demarc and if you have loss of sync/bad signal, you should contact TekSavvy so they can send a Bell technician to look at your line.

In my case, they just switched the pairs around, but the tech told me if the lines had both been damaged, they would have replaced them.

BigBoy55
@bell.ca

BigBoy55

Anon

Any word on when these will be available or the prices for the 50/10?
Foristality
join:2010-12-04
M2K 6T8

Foristality to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Will there be changes on the cable?
Eug
Canada

Eug to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Data usage cap: Cable is download only, but what about DSL?

Currently on DSL, the data usage cap applies to downloads and uploads combined.

In the Rogers cable thread, Marc has stated that the usage cap applies only to downloads. Does that mean this download-only cap is only for cable? Cable uploads would essentially be free.

I did a look-see through this Bell thread again and can't find any similar statement for DSL, but it is possible I may have missed it.

xxgg
join:2004-01-15

xxgg to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Quick Question:

Since...
"The promotion is likely to be available for the rest of the year".

Those on 10Mbps or grandfathered 12Mbps like me will be upgrading to 15/1 DSL (if availble) since it actually is slightly cheaper ?

Hopefully 'Likely' will be likely.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by xxgg:

Quick Question:

Since...

Those on 10Mbps or grandfathered 12Mbps like me will be upgrading to 15/1 DSL (if availble) since it actually is slightly cheaper ?

I'm still looking into that.. these are things that were just cleared up this week by Bell (CRTC asked that they answer these questions)

My hope is to get everybody off of those grandfathered accounts and in line with the new prices.

On the DSL side.. there should be nobody who doesn't get better pricing. We made sure to give back something to the legacy 6 users and everybody else would be on FTTN where these new packages are all better.
Limber
join:2007-11-19

Limber to Eug

to Eug

Re: Data usage cap: Cable is download only, but what about DSL?

said by Eug:

In the Rogers cable thread, Marc has stated that the usage cap applies only to downloads. Does that mean this download-only cap is only for cable?

I too would like to learn whether or not uploads will count towards monthly bandwidth for people on a DSL package.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Limber:

said by Eug:

In the Rogers cable thread, Marc has stated that the usage cap applies only to downloads. Does that mean this download-only cap is only for cable?

I too would like to learn whether or not uploads will count towards monthly bandwidth for people on a DSL package.

It will be download only on all packages.
Eug
Canada

Eug

Excellent! Thx!

qstns
@ecatel.net

qstns to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
Any progress on the questions about keeping promo pricing if we move and buying our own vdsl modems?

Ps what kind of timbit bribe would be required to get 50/10 300gb at or under $50 a month for the promo?

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by xxgg:

Quick Question:

Since...

I'm still looking into that.. these are things that were just cleared up this week by Bell (CRTC asked that they answer these questions)

My hope is to get everybody off of those grandfathered accounts and in line with the new prices.

On the DSL side.. there should be nobody who doesn't get better pricing. We made sure to give back something to the legacy 6 users and everybody else would be on FTTN where these new packages are all better.

So my grandfathered 16/1 becomes 15/1 at the lower price? Anyone know the exact profile for 15/1?

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

FTTN 300GB prices all went up so how is that better? I'm just going on whats posted on your site and this page to compare
Calmuser
Calmuser
join:2011-10-27
Canada

Calmuser

said by andyb:

said by TSI Marc:

FTTN 300GB prices all went up so how is that better? I'm just going on whats posted on your site and this page to compare

I think I got an answer on this.

I asked Marc in another thread:

»Re: Teksavvy POTS ~20% price increase

Seems the he's trying to get the Promo pricing to stick around permanently, so then all the prices will be lower.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to Mike2009

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

So my grandfathered 16/1 becomes 15/1 at the lower price? Anyone know the exact profile for 15/1?

Mine is set to 17989 down
1023 up

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

How come your upstream isn't set to 1085? I'm on 19455/1085 and I'm thinking I might get downgraded.