Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Roop

join:2003-11-15
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario & Promo

2x 50/10 at the promo rate... depending on how much it is. that'd probably be near the same price as what i had a single 25/7 for previously!

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
reply to Satya

Not sure if serious with the 75GB usage cap for the faster speed tiers..

If only I get DSL at my house.

kragop

join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Marc

We have TekTalk, Do I have to call in for the monthly dryloop fee to be waived or is that automatic too?

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Why are 10/1 and 15/1 priced higher after the promotion? Thought bells rate went down like 50 something %?

@Kragop If you have unlimited internet with Tek Talk than you should call and get it waived, premium doesn't get it waived *says on the new thread marc opened about tek talk

here: »[TekTalk] NEW TekTalk PROMO - Digital Home Phone

Poser

join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

I am eagerly awaiting the 50/10 package price and the cost of the VDSL modem.

I am on 28/1mb right now. I currently have a POTS in my basement from an older Bell installation.

Possible to get that installation fee waived if we do it ourselves?

funny

join:2010-12-22

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

are you telling me were back to being throttled? WHAT THE .....
is this unlimited 2AM to 8AM crap that aint unlimited

ive 5 megabit and getting 4 paying nearly 70 a month all told ya know none of this is worth it no more

so i might as well drop teksavvy and go with dial up or nexicom
nice move bell

and am i paying my dry loop fee this is all confusing i dont get what is going on i paid what i regularly do.

can someone enlighten me as to what this is about.
and if were going to be throttled i want a refund and you can stop the account. im done playing this game....

gobnaitt

join:2012-02-03
reply to TSI Marc

If the TSI website only says I can get 6, am I stuck on that or is FTTN a possibility?

Marc, will the speed change fee be waived for those still on 640 and 2 mbps ?

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc

EDIT: Someone already asked. Will wait for answer.

Poser

join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to funny

said by funny:

If you purchase a 75gb or 300gb subscription, whatever you download/upload from 2am to 8am will not count against your cap.

If you purchase the unlimited package, you can ignore the 2am to 8am thing as it only applies to the above.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to funny

said by funny:

ive 5 megabit and getting 4 paying nearly 70 a month all told ya know none of this is worth it no more

so i might as well drop teksavvy and go with dial up or nexicom
nice move bell

and am i paying my dry loop fee this is all confusing i dont get what is going on i paid what i regularly do.

can someone enlighten me as to what this is about.
and if were going to be throttled i want a refund and you can stop the account. im done playing this game....

No, no throttling.

"unlimited 2AM to 8AM" means that if you are on a GB based package (300GB limit, for example) any usage between 2AM and 8AM won't count towards your caps.

It doesn't apply if you are on unlimited as you are unlimited.

Keep calm, carry on.

funny

join:2010-12-22
reply to Poser

said by Poser:

said by funny:

If you purchase a 75gb or 300gb subscription, whatever you download/upload from 2am to 8am will not count against your cap.

If you purchase the unlimited package, you can ignore the 2am to 8am thing as it only applies to the above.

thanks had me awful nervous i get it now that unlim is unlim just capped is unlim in those hours OK

NERVES

anyhow back to star trek online
!!!

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Gami00

said by Gami00:

These rates aren't live yet.. he's just putting it here to show what it will probably look like when he does release them.

anyone thinking they can get these at this very moment is naive and just plan dumb.

Where did I say anything about getting them now? [facepalm]

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to AkFubar

said by AkFubar:

It is a win for consumer pricing for dsl which was and still is relevant tech in this country.

*facepalm*

Um....No, it isn't and never was. Don't want to explain everything again but do a little search on these forums or even wikipedia how DSL works and you'll see it was always a bad fit for Canada but unfortunately, people with the same mentality as yours (priority on "consumer pricing", whatever that is) are holding the rest of us 21st century folk back....
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by don_quixote:

Those promotional rates are ridiculously good. The obvious questions being:

1) Will there be an option to buy a VDSL modem?

2) Are promotional rates cancelled in case a subscriber moves?

1) yes, but I dont know how much yet.

2) I'm not sure yet.

If we already own a VDSL modem can we use that and not have to pay the rental fees?

EDIT: Question was asked prior to me posting and Marc responded that he is looking into it.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Calmuser

said by Calmuser:

hmm, why are the 15/1 rates going up? (i'm referring to the regular rates, not the promo)

I thought costs for Bell went down, and now rates are going up? weird...

When Bell increased the rates in 2011, TekSavvy didn't really increase their monthly rates in proportion to what their costs had become. They kept lower rates than they should've had had. So the new lower costs on Bell capacity rates make up for the losses they've been ate up sheltering their DSL customers from price hikes.

said by d4m1r:

said by AkFubar:

It is a win for consumer pricing for dsl which was and still is relevant tech in this country.

*facepalm*

Um....No, it isn't and never was. Don't want to explain everything again but do a little search on these forums or even wikipedia how DSL works and you'll see it was always a bad fit for Canada but unfortunately, people with the same mentality as yours (priority on "consumer pricing", whatever that is) are holding the rest of us 21st century folk back....

Dude, we get it, you're an advocate for cable internet. But it is not factually superior to DSL. If we go off technical specifications alone, xDSL is the better option.

The problem is Rogers has been more aggresive the past decade in upgrade their nodes with more fibre to push faster speeds. And they've had more motivation to do so. Bell only operated POTS and xDSL on their PSTN network, and for a long time they only offered up to 10~15Mbps off ADSL2. Rogers had to push Internet and HDTV channels, so they needed faster bandwidth available. Bell just didn't have the motivation to roll out FTTN sooner. Now they do with FibeTV, but they have some catching up to do.

Bell can offer you 25/10 and 50/10 in select areas. Rogers? 25/2 & 45/4.

If 25/10 were available in my area, I'd get it in heartbeat now with the promo over cable, even with upcoming 35/3 and 45/4(7).

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

3 edits
reply to TSI Marc

Sorry I think the $8 modem rental and $9.10 dryloop fee's are deal killers on the regular rates. Unless you need a static IP or unlimited in most instances the incumbent offering is cheaper. Look at the basic 25/10 package. You can pay 65.09 to TekSavvy for 75GB or 61.95 to Bell for 100GB. If you bundle with Bell it becomes 57.95, and there is always an additional $5 retention credit to bring your price all the way down to 52.95. Install fee is waivable on request, the Sagemcom is free to new customers (credited back on first bill) and yours to keep, and they also don't charge extra to change speeds. Where are the savings? There is little incentive to stay with IISPs now. The CRTC created a real mess.

technovert
Premium
join:2007-06-14
Canada
reply to TSI Marc

When do these new rates go live?

Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TypeS

said by TypeS See Profile
When Bell increased the rates in 2011, TekSavvy didn't really increase their monthly rates in proportion to what their costs had become. They kept lower rates than they should've had had. So the new lower costs on Bell capacity rates make up for the losses they've been ate up sheltering their DSL customers from price hikes.

Interesting, but then why is it only affecting the 10 and 15 rates? the 25 rates went down!

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
reply to BliZZardX

The "unlimited 2AM to 8AM" is still a big differentiator.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to Calmuser

said by Calmuser:

said by TypeS See Profile

Interesting, but then why is it only affecting the 10 and 15 rates? the 25 rates went down!

Well those do seem to be odd, I agree with you. But they are offering the promo pricing, that if I read correctly, you get to keep until you make a change on your account.

I can only guess as to the difference between Promo and non-Promo pricing, Marc is maybe hedging his bets on how new capacity costs will affect TekSavvy's bottom line. I also don't know what capacity/tarrif costs were like prior to 2011, I am new to the DSLr forums. Perhaps someone who has followed the whole UBB saga can offer more light to this.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to TSI Marc

Marc why no 15/10? I dont qualify for 25 according to bhell but do on for 15/10

Calmuser

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TypeS

said by TypeS:

said by Calmuser:

Well those do seem to be odd, I agree with you. But they are offering the promo pricing, that if I read correctly, you get to keep until you make a change on your account.

I can only guess as to the different between Promo and non-Promo pricing, Marc is maybe hedging his bets on how new capacity costs will affect TekSavvy's bottom line. I also don't know what capacity/tarrif costs were like prior to 2011, I am new to the DSLr forums. Perhaps someone who has followed the whole UBB saga can offer more light to this.

Might be, time to wait to see what Marc has to say!

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to andyb

Click for full size
said by andyb:

Marc why no 15/10? I dont qualify for 25 according to bhell but do on for 15/10

If you can't qualify for 25/10 than you can't get the 10Mbps upload with the 15/10 tier you will only get 15/1. Take a look at the image above, it's a screenshot from »www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Produc···et_15_10.

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario

I dont see where it says I wont get it.I see from and too.I may not get 15 either but I may get 12.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by andyb:

I dont see where it says I wont get it.I see from and too.I may not get 15 either but I may get 12.

The second foot note says you're upload will be anywhere from 680Kb/s to 10Mb/s, meaning by qualifying for 15/10, you're not guaranteed that full 10Mb/s upload.

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario

I'm well aware of that.I was asking where it said I would only get 1mb.I know I can get "upto" 10mb upload by reading bells site myself thats why I'm asking why it isnt available here

Calmuser

Canada
reply to TSI Marc

according to Bell, I can get 15/10 as well.

But I can only get 15/1.

My remote doesn't support the faster uploads, which would require VDSL2.

And if you had VDSL2 equipment, you would be able to get 25/10.

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario

Now thats something plausable.Now how to findout.I think I'm hooked to the CO actually and its really outdated last I heard

EcHoMaN

join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc

So without the Promo some of the rates are higher, yet the install fee has decreased by 45$....eh

Satya

join:2011-09-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Like I said if you want 15/1 and lower go with distributel. I don't get this obsession with teksavvy. Distributel's prices are updated for DSL. They don't offer the 25/10 atleast yet. But still they waive the dry loop installation fee and monthly fee and charge you 2 dollars cheaper than the TSI promo. Seriously? Unless you have been personally ripped of badly by distributel for some reason, I don't see any advantage of having TSI. Don't get me wrong..i am not promoting distributel here but like someone said here I would have ordered TSI DSL 25/10 had the dry loop monthly fees been waived.

Distirbutel's plans are all unlimited 24/7. You don't need the 2 am to 8 am stuff too. Biggest difference is the monthly dry loop fees.

However, I am on 28/1 cable and TSI's 150/10 cable option for 300GB 84.99 looks like a good option to upgrade with unlimited 2AM-8AM. I don't think distributel will ever offer those plans so I might be looking at that option to switch over to TSI. But DSL pricing is nothing great. Sorry.