Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TypeS

said by TypeS:

said by Calmuser:

Interesting, but then why is it only affecting the 10 and 15 rates? the 25 rates went down!

Well those do seem to be odd, I agree with you. But they are offering the promo pricing, that if I read correctly, you get to keep until you make a change on your account.

I can only guess as to the different between Promo and non-Promo pricing, Marc is maybe hedging his bets on how new capacity costs will affect TekSavvy's bottom line. I also don't know what capacity/tarrif costs were like prior to 2011, I am new to the DSLr forums. Perhaps someone who has followed the whole UBB saga can offer more light to this.

Might be, time to wait to see what Marc has to say!

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to andyb

Click for full size
said by andyb:

Marc why no 15/10? I dont qualify for 25 according to bhell but do on for 15/10

If you can't qualify for 25/10 than you can't get the 10Mbps upload with the 15/10 tier you will only get 15/1. Take a look at the image above, it's a screenshot from »www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Produc···et_15_10.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1

I dont see where it says I wont get it.I see from and too.I may not get 15 either but I may get 12.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by andyb:

I dont see where it says I wont get it.I see from and too.I may not get 15 either but I may get 12.

The second foot note says you're upload will be anywhere from 680Kb/s to 10Mb/s, meaning by qualifying for 15/10, you're not guaranteed that full 10Mb/s upload.

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario

I'm well aware of that.I was asking where it said I would only get 1mb.I know I can get "upto" 10mb upload by reading bells site myself thats why I'm asking why it isnt available here

Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada
reply to TSI Marc

according to Bell, I can get 15/10 as well.

But I can only get 15/1.

My remote doesn't support the faster uploads, which would require VDSL2.

And if you had VDSL2 equipment, you would be able to get 25/10.

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario

Now thats something plausable.Now how to findout.I think I'm hooked to the CO actually and its really outdated last I heard

EcHoMaN

join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc

So without the Promo some of the rates are higher, yet the install fee has decreased by 45$....eh

Satya

join:2011-09-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Like I said if you want 15/1 and lower go with distributel. I don't get this obsession with teksavvy. Distributel's prices are updated for DSL. They don't offer the 25/10 atleast yet. But still they waive the dry loop installation fee and monthly fee and charge you 2 dollars cheaper than the TSI promo. Seriously? Unless you have been personally ripped of badly by distributel for some reason, I don't see any advantage of having TSI. Don't get me wrong..i am not promoting distributel here but like someone said here I would have ordered TSI DSL 25/10 had the dry loop monthly fees been waived.

Distirbutel's plans are all unlimited 24/7. You don't need the 2 am to 8 am stuff too. Biggest difference is the monthly dry loop fees.

However, I am on 28/1 cable and TSI's 150/10 cable option for 300GB 84.99 looks like a good option to upgrade with unlimited 2AM-8AM. I don't think distributel will ever offer those plans so I might be looking at that option to switch over to TSI. But DSL pricing is nothing great. Sorry.

torobull123

join:2009-06-20
reply to TSI Marc

Ok so currently I have a "HIGH SPEED DSL 6" plan. Which plan will I be switched to?

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
reply to TSI Marc

thats a good question why are we not getting UPloads of 10Mbps and all the plans are stuck on 1Mbps?

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to torobull123

said by torobull123:

Ok so currently I have a "HIGH SPEED DSL 6" plan. Which plan will I be switched to?

You'll be going to 6/0.8 mbps, essentially you'll be staying on the same plan.

torobull123

said by JCohen:

said by torobull123:

You'll be going to 6/0.8 mbps, essentially you'll be staying on the same plan.

Sweet. Saving money.

torobull123

What month do these rates come into effect?

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to LastDon

said by LastDon:

thats a good question why are we not getting UPloads of 10Mbps and all the plans are stuck on 1Mbps?

Because the 10Mbps upload on the 10Mbps & 15Mbps tiers costs TSI an extra $3.75/mo so for that extra price it's not even worth offering it on the lower tiers. Also a modem rental is required to get the 10Mbps upload.

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Nice can't wait to make the switch to 25/10.

Can we expect these prices to take effect in April?

LastDon

reply to JCohen

said by JCohen:

said by LastDon:

Because the 10Mbps upload on the 10Mbps & 15Mbps tiers costs TSI an extra $3.75/mo so for that extra price it's not even worth offering it on the lower tiers. Also a modem rental is required to get the 10Mbps upload.

Well you could buy the modem now, so rental is not necessary.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by themisa:

Marc,

When can i return the Cellpipe and get the rental fee waived?

I've been using my own Bell Sagemcom 2864 modem with TSI 25/7

I'm still working on modem related issue.. that's a good question though that I'm also wondering about.

Yeah I also wonder about that... Some of us already have other modems, i hope Bell will not require a purchase from them to get rid of the rental...

That would be ridiculous... But this is Bell. So yeah.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario
reply to TSI Marc

Well I think some of these rates fubared when rogers 25/2 300GB is cheaper than bells 15/1. 39.95 vs 48.99 for bell.

LastDon

^ I agree. I wonder how distrubutel is in DSL service.. their 15/1 package with free DRY loop and Unlimited is looking great.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to andyb

said by andyb:

Well I think some of these rates fubared when rogers 25/2 300GB is cheaper than bells 15/1. 39.95 vs 48.99 for bell.

Not everyone is in a Rogers area so you're comparing Apples to Oranges here. Heck some of us aren't even in a TSI Cable area...and we're left with $65.95/month for 20mbit cable services in my area....with 15/1 and TSI's Tektalk option I'll be paying about that much now for both services including taxes...maybe just a touch more including tax ($36.99 for 15/1+$22.95 for tektalk), I could even save $2/month by going to 10/1 instead of 15/1 as I can't quite sync at full 15mbit as it is...

So its definitely not fubared AFAIC. Its great, my service will go down about $8/month + get more phone features than I currently get through their POTS service which for me was just about avoding a dryloop fee in the first place.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

4 edits
reply to QuantumPimp

said by QuantumPimp:

The "unlimited 2AM to 8AM" is still a big differentiator.

Depends on the scenario, there is unlimited usage with 3 services at Bell for only $10, and after the discounts are applied they beat the price of TSI. So for most bundled customers, there is no incentive to switch.

I don't like seeing the low end of the market (usually disadvantaged) getting even more handicapped, everywhere I see prices increased significantly when the majority of customers don't need much usage and just want cheap internet. $48.09 for the basic 7/1 75GB dry DSL package is insane. Start only has $30 for 6/256 100GB and free install if you come with cable internet from another provider. And Rogers regularly waives installs and does 30% discounts on 6/256 to $29.07 for 12 months with no contract. Rogers also lets you BYOM as long as it's DOCSIS 3, I got a SB6120 added for a Rogers customer after only a few phone calls.

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario
reply to nitzguy

I cant get TSI cable yet as they dont have agg but as far as bell ONT vs Rogers I'd say thats apples to apples when considering rogers footprint.After a 53% haircut for bell I fail to see how it can be that much of a difference after rogers went up. 15/1 price is an increase when it should of gone the other way.I see this as this being the speed used to subsidize other shit.Not cool

dgass

join:2007-09-27
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TSI Marc

I just called to order the Dry loop/ TekTalk Unlimited change from my current Teksavvy POTS. The sales staff had no clue what I was asking for.

So when can I get this ordered? Whom do I talk with? Should I post in direct?

Thanks,

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by dgass:

I just called to order the Dry loop/ TekTalk Unlimited change from my current Teksavvy POTS. The sales staff had no clue what I was asking for.

So when can I get this ordered? Whom do I talk with? Should I post in direct?

It's not offered yet.
TSIMarc was just posting where he though the rates would be when they make it officially available.

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to BliZZardX

said by BliZZardX:

said by QuantumPimp:

The "unlimited 2AM to 8AM" is still a big differentiator.

Depends on the scenario, there is unlimited usage with 3 services at Bell for only $10, and after the discounts are applied they beat the price of TSI. So for most bundled customers, there is no incentive to switch.

I don't like seeing the low end of the market (usually disadvantaged) getting even more handicapped, everywhere I see prices increased significantly when the majority of customers don't need much usage and just want cheap internet.

Yes, I see that the FTTN DSL promo price band has been compressed to within $10. I assume this demonstrates that the overhead cost of activating and operating a DSL service is significant when compared to the cost of bandwidth. As you say, the optics are not good if you are stuck at the low end of the DSL market.

No doubt Bell can beat TSI price when internet is part of a bundle but that kind of comparison isn't really apples to apples. AFAIK the real competition is IISP to IISP. In that regard TSI appears to be in a decent brawl.

I am really looking to see where dry loop fees and VDSL forced modem rental fees come out. The pricing Marc has posted is only a part of the overall picture. I'd also like to see which IISP does a better job at managing network performance. This could be a really exciting year for IISP DSL.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to andyb

said by andyb:

I cant get TSI cable yet as they dont have agg but as far as bell ONT vs Rogers I'd say thats apples to apples when considering rogers footprint.After a 53% haircut for bell I fail to see how it can be that much of a difference after rogers went up. 15/1 price is an increase when it should of gone the other way.I see this as this being the speed used to subsidize other shit.Not cool

...as I said a long time ago....DSL has been subsidizing cable users since the 1st Cable customer they hooked up way back when. When the price magically went from $29.99 to $31.99 to $34.99 ....now suddenly goes back down to $26.99 (I'm just taking raw 6 meg DSL here).

I guess if I was in a Rogers' area I might look at it that way, but since that'll probably never happen in my lifetime, I just wish TSI wouldn't use us to subsidize their customers that don't make them money...on the surface it makes no sense to me why this is the case...

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

said by nitzguy:

said by andyb:

...as I said a long time ago....DSL has been subsidizing cable users since the 1st Cable customer they hooked up way back when. When the price magically went from $29.99 to $31.99 to $34.99 ....now suddenly goes back down to $26.99 (I'm just taking raw 6 meg DSL here).

I guess if I was in a Rogers' area I might look at it that way, but since that'll probably never happen in my lifetime, I just wish TSI wouldn't use us to subsidize their customers that don't make them money...on the surface it makes no sense to me why this is the case...

It's the rates for DSL that were through the roof.. DSL 6 was high because DSL was high...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Chang

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

What happens to the old grandfathered accounts? I was on an old 12/1 adsl 2+ account which was phased into a 15/1 account but the old price for 12/1 (grandfathered) still applies. Do i still pay the same amount. Do all grandfathered accounts still pay the old or original amount?