share rss forum feed

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2
reply to JackBauer

Re: Verizon is Offering to Change STB because of Lineup changes

said by JackBauer:

Does the 7232 HW support future IPTV? God I hope so.

Yes it does. That's how VOD is delivered today. The box is a "QIP-7232" and the "IP" is for IP functionality.

dallastxhd

join:2007-05-08
The Colony, TX
reply to PJL

I have a triple play package with Extreme HD for TV.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to webcobbler

said by webcobbler:

But I'm concerned about the Digital Adapters. Idk if they will be compatible with the Media Server and client box system.

Digital Adapters are strictly used to decode SD signals. Media Server and client box are HD-centric with SD capability as well. The only way the Digital Adapters become useless is if the SD video signal goes away. Some folks want that to happen in order to free QAM space for more HD, but I doubt that will happen until there's plenty of free HD STBs to replace the DCT700s. Give it 4 years. That's my WAG.

webcobbler

join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

I have to admit, I too want SD channel to go away. At least the ones that have HD equivalent channels. To free up more space, of course.

But anyhow, I hope that this is true because I have 3 adapters that are free to me, due to the fact that they are Grandfathered in.

When the time comes that I can exchange them for a HD digital adapter (I am sure there will be some out there), or an actual HD STB with IMG guide, and I can still retain the free-ness of the Grandfather deal (I truly hope)... then I will do so.

Oh , do I pray that they will be free, because of my Grandfathered situation...

PJL

Long Beach, CA
reply to dallastxhd

said by dallastxhd:

I have a triple play package with Extreme HD for TV.

Check to see if ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater 571 is in your package. I can't because I don't know your zip code. This channel is one of the channels moving to MPEG4 according to the list of channels provided. So I'm not sure why the STB order process isn't working for you. When the switch occurs, if you can't get the channel, call Verizon.

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to OwlSaver

One of my STB's is the QIP 2500 P3. This STB is connected to a regular (not HD) tv. The other stb's are two dvrs 7232 and another stb 7100.

When I go to Set Top Box Exchange it says "all of my devices are compatible".

Is this because it knows this is a regular tv? If I eventually got an HD tv would I then be able to get a higher version HD stb? I have the Extreme TV package with Stars/Encore added.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

said by Libra:

One of my STB's is the QIP 2500 P3. This STB is connected to a regular (not HD) tv. The other stb's are two dvrs 7232 and another stb 7100.

When I go to Set Top Box Exchange it says "all of my devices are compatible".

Is this because it knows this is a regular tv? If I eventually got an HD tv would I then be able to get a higher version HD stb? I have the Extreme TV package with Stars/Encore added.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

The STB exchange only applies (at this point) to HD equipment AND if you are subscribed to a package level or other premium programming that has channels that will be going to MPEG4 (they are listed elsewhere in the thread: »Re: Verizon is Offering to Change STB because of Lineup changes ).

Your 7xxx boxes are MPEG4 compatible and the 2500 is SD only. The only boxes that would be eligible for the exchange would be a 6416 DVR or a 6200 STB

I have a 6416 DVR, a 7100 HD STB and two DCT700s. The only one I could (or needed to) exchange was the 6416. I also am subscribed to premium channels that will be affected (e.g. HBO and CINEMAX)
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA

Hi Rattler,

Thanks for explaining that my 2500 sd box isn't eligible.

Sincerely, Libra

dallastxhd

The Colony, TX
reply to PJL

Thanks! I do have ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater (and watch it a lot during football season). I will just wait to see what happens when the switch is made and if I am not able to get that channel, I will call Verizon.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by dallastxhd:

Thanks! I do have ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater (and watch it a lot during football season). I will just wait to see what happens when the switch is made and if I am not able to get that channel, I will call Verizon.

said by dallastxhd:

that is a bad decision as you could be waiting for equipment if you wind up needing it. I would go ahead and check on the front of the box to see if you have a QIP-6200/6416 or QIP-7100/7216/7232 and if it is a 6200 series box then put in for the upgrade.

Also new HD channels will need the newer boxes as today Verizon started the rollout of beIN sport and beIN Espanol in MPEG4 HD only.

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
reply to OwlSaver

As far as DVR's, I had 1 7332, & 1 6416 in my son's room ..
Requested exchange for the 6416 thru menu on 3/6, received a another 7232 yesterday....

dallastxhd

The Colony, TX
reply to motorola870

said by motorola870:

said by dallastxhd:

said by dallastxhd:

that is a bad decision as you could be waiting for equipment if you wind up needing it. I would go ahead and check on the front of the box to see if you have a QIP-6200/6416 or QIP-7100/7216/7232 and if it is a 6200 series box then put in for the upgrade.

Also new HD channels will need the newer boxes as today Verizon started the rollout of beIN sport and beIN Espanol in MPEG4 HD only.

The model number on the box is QIP6416-2. I guess since it will not let me request a new box via the guide set top box exchange option, I will call them and request it.

RocklandFios

Nyack, NY
reply to NickP65

My date was June 9 but the new DVR arrived today

Rattler

Havertown, PA

The saga continues...

[RANT]

After 2 interrupted CHAT sessions and near 4 hours on the phone, yesterday, I found out that the original order number I got from the STB existed BUT, it has nothing associated with it.

Finally, I talked to a CSR who SEEMED to know what she was doing and she cancelled the original order and entered a new one so that I could swap the boxes at a local FiOS store. I just called the store and gave them the new number - guess what - the new order number exists, it is connected with my account but there is nothing, nada, bupkis associated with it.

However, they do have 7216 ( ) boxes in stock and the guy I talked to said he would take care of the order number problem when I came in. He did not know what size the DVR was in the ones he had (hopefully not 160GB)

He noted that they hadn't seen any 7232s in stock for several weeks and weren't expecting any in for a while - there was a rush on them a few weeks ago.

To add insult to injury, the V* website says the new delivery date will be June 12.

This whole thing has worked about as well as my Remote DVR stuff - not very well.

[/RANT]
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

NickP65

join:2008-12-11
Trenton, NJ
reply to RocklandFios

Just got the email saying the new box shipped ... so that was 7 days from date of order. I've seen "padded" estimates before but someone who didn't know better might be a little put out by seeing mid-June. Not complaining or anything ... I'm just saying.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Got my new boxes last week and they got my returned boxes this past Monday....yet my account still shows an open "pending order" with a scheduled June 4 service date. I can't make any online service changes on "My Verizon" for however long an "incomplete" open order shows up on the account. Ridiculous!

Rattler

Havertown, PA

Went to put the trash out this AM and found a V* package w/ a 7232 in it, leaning against our mailbox post... The package was just one of those "flip lid" boxes that have side wings that tuck in and it was partially open - no tape holding it shut. The DVR was out of its foam retainers. Everything on the packing list seems to be there and I hope the DVR is functional.

I did not notice the package there last evening at around 4:30.

No email, no notification on the website (which my daughter did get) and, from my other posts, the CSRs do not have a clue. V* needs to be more proactive in making sure that customers are getting updated, particularly when we're talking about big $$$ charges for lost equipment. Guess I'm preaching to the choir but needed to vent.

Back to the phone...
--

PJL

Long Beach, CA

said by Rattler:

Went to put the trash out this AM and found a V* package w/ a 7232 in it, leaning against our mailbox post... The package was just one of those "flip lid" boxes that have side wings that tuck in and it was partially open - no tape holding it shut. The DVR was out of its foam retainers. Everything on the packing list seems to be there and I hope the DVR is functional.

No email, no notification on the website (which my daughter did get) and, from my other posts, the CSRs do not have a clue. V* needs to be more proactive in making sure that customers are getting updated, particularly when we're talking about big $$$ charges for lost equipment. Guess I'm preaching to the choir but needed to vent.

Back to the phone...

I don't believe Verizon handles deployments like this -- they use a third party vendor which apparently isn't using very good shipping methods. You could never be charged for lost equipment in a situation like this unless that have proof of delivery -- a signature.

eqshadimar
Premium
join:2004-10-20
Plano, TX
reply to Rattler

said by Rattler:

Back to the phone...

Same thing with the box that my DVR came in. The DVR was brand new (plastic film still on the face) but the box was trash with no tape holding the box closed. The DVR worked fine with no issues but I was amazed that it did given the state of the packing.

I didn't get any notifications of shipment either.

Laters,
Jeff

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

They re-use those boxes over and over. If they were suffering a bunch of losses from shipping damage they'd improve them. The foam inserts do a good enough job.

Rattler

Havertown, PA
reply to PJL

@PJL...

The shipment appears to have originated at a V* shipping center in Coatesville, PA (about 25 - 30 miles West of me, which is where I am to return the 6416) and came via UPS.

For the heck of it I entered the UPS tracking number from the label and it came up as having been delivered at 3:30 PM yesterday. I drove up the driveway, past the mailbox, at about 4:30 but did not see it (does not mean it wasn't there) because I was not expecting it and didn't look at the ground. Had I been given the tracking number, I would have been checking on it and it wouldn't have been sitting out overnight. Just glad we didn't have any foul weather or the DVR could have been hosed because the lid of the box was open and facing upwards.

I've got to get some recordings off the old DVR before I install the new one, which looks like it may have been in the system before, since there are some fingerprints on the case that aren't mine. There is a protective film over the front panel though.

Don't get me wrong, I've been happy with the FiOS service for the 6 years I've had it. But, as has been noted by quite a few here, their customer info interface leaves a lot to be desired - should take some lessons from places like Newegg or other WEB vendors when it comes to shipment notifications.
--

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

My guess would be that UPS mis-delivered it to one of your neighbors and they didn't exactly go all-out in getting it to you.

dpridgen
Premium
join:2004-01-14
Port Washington, NY
reply to OwlSaver

I placed my order (via phone since the menu option didn't work) on the 18th, and got a service date of April 1st. Still haven't received my boxes yet (so much for the statements in the letter that the new boxes would be shipped promptly), but my Hauppauge PVR 2 should be here next week. Anyone know if the dvr still works after disconnecting the old box from the line? I was thinking about installing the new boxes and using the 30 day return period to transfer my saved recordings to the PC.

RocklandFios

Nyack, NY
reply to eqshadimar

I received an email with a UPS tracking number on Monday - the day before the DVR shipped.

Rattler

Havertown, PA

said by RocklandFios:

I received an email with a UPS tracking number on Monday - the day before the DVR shipped.

Count yourself fortunate...

I installed the 7232 today - all went without a hitch. Activation took about 10 minutes. It certainly has a faster response than the old 6416 dinosaur I've had since 2007...

It's nice they have the flip over packaging for the 6416. I was about to cuss them out about the old DVR not fitting in the box until I thought to check.
--

NickP65

join:2008-12-11
Trenton, NJ

Did not go without a hitch for me ... 40 minutes on the phone with a nice lady from Utah, she had to get a network tech involved. But it all got straightened out though. Got a 7216-p2 with the upgraded 500gig hard drive. It'll do the job for me.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
reply to OwlSaver

I have 1 6x box left so I ordered a replacement via the cable box last week. I never received an email however and I don't see anything about it showing up in my account online.

Rattler

Havertown, PA

If you haven't activated it yet, it shouldn't show up under the "Equipment" heading.

I activated the new DVR on Sat and checked yesterday. Both the old and new DVRs are listed. I will return (via UPS) the old 6416 tomorrow. I have the tracking number and will keep tabs on its delivery status. If I get billed for the old box, after I'm sure it's been delivered to V*, I will deduct its rental from my bill until they get it straightened out.
--

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Rattler:

If you haven't activated it yet, it shouldn't show up under the "Equipment" heading.

I activated the new DVR on Sat and checked yesterday. Both the old and new DVRs are listed. I will return (via UPS) the old 6416 tomorrow. I have the tracking number and will keep tabs on its delivery status. If I get billed for the old box, after I'm sure it's been delivered to V*, I will deduct its rental from my bill until they get it straightened out.

I can't activate it because I haven't received it yet. I did go back to that 6x HD STB yesterday and repeated the motions to order a replacement and it said something to the effect that the order for a replacement is in the system. I still haven't received a confirmation email and I can't find anything about it in my account online... I guess I just wait.

Rattler

Havertown, PA

It seems as though it can take a few days more then you might expect. I ordered mine on a Wed and received it on a Fri, a week later.

I sort of assumed that you had not received the box yet. I was just noting that it shouldn't show up on your FiOS account page until it is activated.
--