join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

3 edits

BliZZardX to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario & Promo

Sorry I think the $8 modem rental and $9.10 dryloop fee's are deal killers on the regular rates. Unless you need a static IP or unlimited in most instances the incumbent offering is cheaper. Look at the basic 25/10 package. You can pay 65.09 to TekSavvy for 75GB or 61.95 to Bell for 100GB. If you bundle with Bell it becomes 57.95, and there is always an additional $5 retention credit to bring your price all the way down to 52.95. Install fee is waivable on request, the Sagemcom is free to new customers (credited back on first bill) and yours to keep, and they also don't charge extra to change speeds. Where are the savings? There is little incentive to stay with IISPs now. The CRTC created a real mess.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp

The "unlimited 2AM to 8AM" is still a big differentiator.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

4 edits

BliZZardX

Premium Member

said by QuantumPimp:

Depends on the scenario, there is unlimited usage with 3 services at Bell for only $10, and after the discounts are applied they beat the price of TSI. So for most bundled customers, there is no incentive to switch.

I don't like seeing the low end of the market (usually disadvantaged) getting even more handicapped, everywhere I see prices increased significantly when the majority of customers don't need much usage and just want cheap internet. $48.09 for the basic 7/1 75GB dry DSL package is insane. Start only has $30 for 6/256 100GB and free install if you come with cable internet from another provider. And Rogers regularly waives installs and does 30% discounts on 6/256 to $29.07 for 12 months with no contract. Rogers also lets you BYOM as long as it's DOCSIS 3, I got a SB6120 added for a Rogers customer after only a few phone calls.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

1 edit

QuantumPimp

said by BliZZardX:

said by QuantumPimp:

Depends on the scenario, there is unlimited usage with 3 services at Bell for only $10, and after the discounts are applied they beat the price of TSI. So for most bundled customers, there is no incentive to switch.

I don't like seeing the low end of the market (usually disadvantaged) getting even more handicapped, everywhere I see prices increased significantly when the majority of customers don't need much usage and just want cheap internet.

Yes, I see that the FTTN DSL promo price band has been compressed to within $10. I assume this demonstrates that the overhead cost of activating and operating a DSL service is significant when compared to the cost of bandwidth. As you say, the optics are not good if you are stuck at the low end of the DSL market.

No doubt Bell can beat TSI price when internet is part of a bundle but that kind of comparison isn't really apples to apples. AFAIK the real competition is IISP to IISP. In that regard TSI appears to be in a decent brawl.

I am really looking to see where dry loop fees and VDSL forced modem rental fees come out. The pricing Marc has posted is only a part of the overall picture. I'd also like to see which IISP does a better job at managing network performance. This could be a really exciting year for IISP DSL.