onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

JDisk Report

What is the gray area? And can it be removed some how to gain disk space?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

A directory the program decided not to label, or a collection of directories it decided to bundle into one slice of pie. Mmm, pie.

What's the blue slice?

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by sivran:

A directory the program decided not to label, or a collection of directories it decided to bundle into one slice of pie. Mmm, pie.

What's the blue slice?

The blue is Users.

When I hover the curser over the gray, it shows this below...but it isn't much help.

Bach
Premium Member
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

Bach to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Looking at some other examples on Google images, it would appear that first section would be files in the root folder itself, in this case C:\

Does the root have large files, hidden or otherwise, that would add up to 37.1 GB? If you've got a machine with a lot of physical memory (e.g. 16 GB), it's possible hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys could be most of that.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
run spacesniffer on it, you should get more detailed info

»www.uderzo.it/main_produ ··· oad.html
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

1 recommendation

Moffetts to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
windirstat is where it's at, my friend

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
"files in this directory" would be files in \
That would include your hiberfile, your pagefile, and (if running win8) the swapfile.sys files, all of which can be pretty large. hiberfile.sys is the same size as installed ram, pagefile.sys can default to 1 - 1.5x installed ram, swapfile is .25GB.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
If you click on that little box at the bottom "show files" it will show you the files in the gray area. You can click at the top to the the top 50 largest files....that is a very interesting program. I had never heard of it. Thanks!

Until I used this program, I had no idea so much of the drive was occupied by "users" which is a VMWare virtual machine that I moved from my old XP computer. Most of the 50 largest files are VMWare Workstation files for the virtual machine and 14GB of files have not been modified in over ten years! (Again, files from the virtual machine).

This is really neat! So much to see and the help file is useful (so many help files are very lacking).
art22gg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC

art22gg to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Hmmm....Requires Java.....Thanks but no thanks...

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

Gone Fishing

Premium Member

said by art22gg:

Hmmm....Requires Java.....Thanks but no thanks...

said by Moffetts:

windirstat is where it's at, my friend

Windows Directory Statistics (windirstat)
»windirstat.info/

WinDirStat Portable
»portableapps.com/apps/ut ··· portable

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

If you click on that little box at the bottom "show files" it will show you the files in the gray area. You can click at the top to the the top 50 largest files....that is a very interesting program. I had never heard of it. Thanks!

Until I used this program, I had no idea so much of the drive was occupied by "users" which is a VMWare virtual machine that I moved from my old XP computer. Most of the 50 largest files are VMWare Workstation files for the virtual machine and 14GB of files have not been modified in over ten years! (Again, files from the virtual machine).

This is really neat! So much to see and the help file is useful (so many help files are very lacking).

I'll check that out. thanks.