how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xtreme23

@sbcglobal.net

U-Verse ATT speeds drop randomly while downloading

Hey guys,

I currently have ATT U-Verse at the 18 Mb/s and forgot the up but I believe we are on the 25 Mb/s because of the 2 TV's that we share the internet with. What happens is that download could be going at 800kbs and then all of a sudden randomly it drops to 4 or 10kbs(no tv's in use) and then maybe backup to the original state. This is getting really annoying and wanted to know what I should do to fix it. The tech has looked at line and everything checks fine but still having this issue. Would love your opinion. Thanks

mmisek

join:2013-03-03
Cleburne, TX
Are you connected wired or wireless?

xtreme23

@sbcglobal.net
Wired

Thanks for the help

mmisek

Cleburne, TX
I can check for you, if you'd like, but I would need your acc #. You can pm me but i'm not sure anon users can pm. Its a slow day today and I'm here till 10.
--
Tier II Advanced Tech Support, AT&T U-verse
Fort Worth, Texas

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to xtreme23
You can post in the AT&T direct forum as well.

xtreme23

join:2013-03-05
West Hills, CA
reply to mmisek
said by mmisek:

I can check for you, if you'd like, but I would need your acc #. You can pm me but i'm not sure anon users can pm. Its a slow day today and I'm here till 10.

check ur pm. thanks

mmisek

Cleburne, TX

1 edit
The signal coming into your home is fine, save a few errors. I see you have the 3801 modem, what cable is connecting the modem to the wall? Also, you have exceeded your maximum sessions. Example: 989 out of 1024 sessions indicated 35 sessions are in use. You currently have 4/1024.

I recommend checking for possible viruses.

The 3801 is equipped with a feature to detect excessive sessions on a particular device. The equipment will then warn you and help you single out the device causing the issue. You may want to give this a try.
--
Fort Worth, Texas

xtreme23

West Hills, CA
said by mmisek:

The signal coming into your home is fine, save a few errors. I see you have the 3801 modem, what cable is connecting the modem to the wall? Also, you have exceeded your maximum sessions. Example: 989 out of 1024 sessions indicated 35 sessions are in use. You currently have 4/1024.

The 3801 is equipped with a feature to detect equipment will then warn you and h excessive sessions on a particular device. Theelp you single out the device causing the issue. You may want to give this a try.

what does it mean to have such a low amount of sessions? what exactly is a session? and how do i check if any devices have execessive sessions?

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to xtreme23
All of the troubleshooting on your and ATT's side isn't going to resolve a bottle neck or bad route between you and the server your accessing for said service. You really need more information and additional testing from say different devices in your home or different downloads from different servers.

mmisek

Cleburne, TX
reply to xtreme23
It means that something is causing your device(s) to access the internet waaaaaay too much. Possibly malware/ a virus. You can enable the "excessive session warning" feature that comes with 3801 to determine which devices are causing the unwanted traffic. AT&T offers McAfee for free to qualifying customers, you can use that to check for corrupt files.
--
Fort Worth, Texas

xtreme23

West Hills, CA
said by mmisek:

It means that something is causing your device(s) to access the internet waaaaaay too much. Possibly malware/ a virus. You can enable the "excessive session warning" feature that comes with 3801 to determine which devices are causing the unwanted traffic. AT&T offers McAfee for free to qualifying customers, you can use that to check for corrupt files.

could it be utorrent?

xtreme23

West Hills, CA
reply to mmisek
said by mmisek:

The 3801 is equipped with a feature to detect excessive sessions on a particular device. The equipment will then warn you and help you single out the device causing the issue. You may want to give this a try.

also its a green wire from a telephone box

RocketJeff
Premium
join:2008-08-20
Birmingham, AL
reply to xtreme23
Click for full size
said by xtreme23:

could it be utorrent?

Yes, easily - especially if you left all the default settings.

Make sure you run the 'Setup Guide' (actually a speed/network test). It's on the menu at "Options/Setup Guide".

Also check the Bandwidth settings (Options/Preferences[Bandwidth]). I have a 3800 RG and it can't handle the number of connections that uTorrent can throw at it.

Through trial and error, I've come up with settings that work for me. I've (hopefully) included an image that shows my settings. I have 12 Mb internet service, so your upload rate could be set higher - the Number of Connections settings works great for me with my 3800 - You might be able to increase them with the 3801.

Note: my uTorrent usage is mainly for downloading/sharing open-sourced software (FreeBSD, Eclipse, Android dev environment, etc) and Videos from the Internet Archive (»archive.org/details/movies). You might need to play with the settings to see if you need different settings based on your usage.

xtreme23

West Hills, CA
thanks i tried that but still getting dropped speeds. i really wish i could fix this

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to xtreme23
does shutting off utorrent return the speeds to normal?

profane

join:2010-10-10
reply to xtreme23
I've been having the same issues lately as well. Just started a couple weeks ago. I'm on the 24/3 plan using the 3800 with phone line connection to wall (I don't have their TV service).

xtreme23

West Hills, CA
said by profane:

I've been having the same issues lately as well. Just started a couple weeks ago. I'm on the 24/3 plan using the 3800 with phone line connection to wall (I don't have their TV service).

Interesting. I'm supposively on the 24 or 25 meg plan becuz I have tv service as well but I've getting really good speeds today and only one drop. It busts getting to see ur download speeds and then seeing it drop so low, can be really annoying.

xtreme23

West Hills, CA
reply to David
said by David:

What do u mean back to normal? As in restarting utorrent? Speed tests are usually fine

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
said by xtreme23:

said by David:

What do u mean back to normal? As in restarting utorrent? Speed tests are usually fine

Simple troubleshooting... if you turn utorrent off is your line stable? If the answer is yes there is nothing wrong with your connection.

xtreme23

West Hills, CA
Yea but I don't lose signal or anything jut extremely slow download speeds till if goes back up

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to xtreme23
So you get slow download speeds with utorrent shut off or turned on? I can see it being if it is activated/on, but not typically if it's off/not running.

truthfully, if you don't keep utorrent in check it will bring down a uverse internet line pretty good, just like it can for legacy AT&T DSL. the only difference is the connection is just larger/more speed.

For yours and since you are torrenting to be safe. I would set yours to the following speeds as a default

1.) no more than 450kb/s downstream
2.) no more than 95kb/s upstream

That should keep you safe enough and keep your speeds from diving down very low. Also I heard in another forum the sessions is like 1024. That's something else you might want to control as well. For utorrent I wouldn't set that higher than 200 at most.

to forum readers: I set those numbers to be kind of conservative. Feel free to change or comment on those as the poster sees fit. If they are incorrect please fill in, and thanks- David
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

xtreme23

West Hills, CA
i see what your saying but the whole point of paying for 18 or 24 megs is to be able to download fast. maybe ill just deal with it. i would like a fix for this but i get really good speeds nowadays but then the line drops.. something like 10kbs on utorrent and 6mbs on the speedtest so its definitely not just utorrent client.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
reply to xtreme23
How long do the BW drops last, typically? Long enough to disconnect laptop (or all clients), and do a speedtest on a smartphone/tablet (over wifi) during that interval?

If sessions refers to "Current NAT Sessions" under RG's Settings/Diag/NAT (I see it in 3800 RG, hope other models have similar?), I believe that MAY often retain plenty of stale/inactive entries (like for me for expired DHCP IP's that no longer exist). But could try: reboot RG, let sessions accumulate from scratch for few days, then see (in Settings/Diag/NAT) what LAN IP seems to hog the most (though expected to merely confirm it's your laptop).

xtreme23

West Hills, CA
they last about a minute or so, sometimes maybe longer. i think maybe something gets reset from too much downloading or something. as long as it goes back up to normal speed i might just deal with it

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to xtreme23
said by xtreme23:

i see what your saying but the whole point of paying for 18 or 24 megs is to be able to download fast. maybe ill just deal with it. i would like a fix for this but i get really good speeds nowadays but then the line drops.. something like 10kbs on utorrent and 6mbs on the speedtest so its definitely not just utorrent client.

Well the higher speed will work, As I said I was kind of conservative, maybe a bit more conservatively extreme. You can play with the numbers, it was just a guide point.

maybe a better idea?

I would get a speed test without any devices running or with tv's running and such.

take the speeds you get in kbps and subtract 15-20% off that.

That should keep utorrent tame and allow you to do as much tv watching as you want.

The idea is not to saturate your link causing a drop, you definitely want to keep it in check on the upload, and not cause download drops.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!