David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to xtreme23

Premium Member

to xtreme23

Re: U-Verse ATT speeds drop randomly while downloading

So you get slow download speeds with utorrent shut off or turned on? I can see it being if it is activated/on, but not typically if it's off/not running.

truthfully, if you don't keep utorrent in check it will bring down a uverse internet line pretty good, just like it can for legacy AT&T DSL. the only difference is the connection is just larger/more speed.

For yours and since you are torrenting to be safe. I would set yours to the following speeds as a default

1.) no more than 450kb/s downstream
2.) no more than 95kb/s upstream

That should keep you safe enough and keep your speeds from diving down very low. Also I heard in another forum the sessions is like 1024. That's something else you might want to control as well. For utorrent I wouldn't set that higher than 200 at most.

to forum readers: I set those numbers to be kind of conservative. Feel free to change or comment on those as the poster sees fit. If they are incorrect please fill in, and thanks- David
xtreme23
join:2013-03-05
West Hills, CA

xtreme23

i see what your saying but the whole point of paying for 18 or 24 megs is to be able to download fast. maybe ill just deal with it. i would like a fix for this but i get really good speeds nowadays but then the line drops.. something like 10kbs on utorrent and 6mbs on the speedtest so its definitely not just utorrent client.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige to xtreme23

to xtreme23
How long do the BW drops last, typically? Long enough to disconnect laptop (or all clients), and do a speedtest on a smartphone/tablet (over wifi) during that interval?

If sessions refers to "Current NAT Sessions" under RG's Settings/Diag/NAT (I see it in 3800 RG, hope other models have similar?), I believe that MAY often retain plenty of stale/inactive entries (like for me for expired DHCP IP's that no longer exist). But could try: reboot RG, let sessions accumulate from scratch for few days, then see (in Settings/Diag/NAT) what LAN IP seems to hog the most (though expected to merely confirm it's your laptop).
xtreme23
join:2013-03-05
West Hills, CA

xtreme23

they last about a minute or so, sometimes maybe longer. i think maybe something gets reset from too much downloading or something. as long as it goes back up to normal speed i might just deal with it

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to xtreme23

Premium Member

to xtreme23
said by xtreme23:

i see what your saying but the whole point of paying for 18 or 24 megs is to be able to download fast. maybe ill just deal with it. i would like a fix for this but i get really good speeds nowadays but then the line drops.. something like 10kbs on utorrent and 6mbs on the speedtest so its definitely not just utorrent client.

Well the higher speed will work, As I said I was kind of conservative, maybe a bit more conservatively extreme. You can play with the numbers, it was just a guide point.

maybe a better idea?

I would get a speed test without any devices running or with tv's running and such.

take the speeds you get in kbps and subtract 15-20% off that.

That should keep utorrent tame and allow you to do as much tv watching as you want.

The idea is not to saturate your link causing a drop, you definitely want to keep it in check on the upload, and not cause download drops.