uniqs
share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

[Speed] What is that program that measure un boosted speeds?

I want to check to see if my area has gotten the speed changes. There was a program that checks speeds before the shaper/speed boost. Where is the link to that program?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

ShaperProbe... Google it.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to signmeuptoo

Shaper Probe

»www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to signmeuptoo

I trust Shaper Probe the most. However if I'm feeling lazy and want do a quick test I use the Xfinity speed test but if I want a 100% accurate speed test I use shaper probe.

swilliams

join:1999-09-07
Littleton, CO
reply to signmeuptoo

I just download Windows XP SP3 Network version ( »goo.gl/JVs5n ) . It's always fast as nobody downloads it anymore. And after the first 100 megs or so, I take the download speed and plug it in here: »goo.gl/BvGkn

Then change the drop down to MB and put the download speed from the browser in. Works great.
--
You can't walk a straight line girl... if you're wearin crooked shoes

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to signmeuptoo

As graysonf gave you: www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html

One advantage is that this is the most widely used speed tests that takes PB into account, so when you use it, you are on track with others here.
--
Deeds, not words

AnonMan

@comcast.net

ShapreProbe does NOT 100% account for Power boost so take the results with a grain of salt.. for most it does but not every situation.

For example it doesn't run long enough for my upstream shaping to be caught and says no shaping though it's been confirmed I have shaping by both other uploads and my local eng. team for my area.

It's a good baseline, assuming it runs the test on a decent server. I have at times had it give crappy results and web-based tests give better depending what server it runs the test against and the load.

That said the best test you can do is monitor your traffic yourself. (If not on XP you can go into performance monitoring and watch your actual throughput). Just go download a few large files at once and watch it and do the same for upload.

I would say ShaperProbe is accurate only for about 70-80% of the people that use it.