All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
relish
join:2009-07-21
Sterling Heights, MI

relish

[Connectivity] How do YOU reset your Comcast modem?

I often hear turn modem and router off. Wait 60 seconds. Turn modem on. Once all the lights are blinking, turn on router.

If your modem has a battery, remove that instead. Etc.

I ask because I had my modem reprovisioned a moment ago by a technician and following the steps above did not provide me the new 50mbps Blast speeds.

I have various computers and switches hooked up to my router and it doesn't seem necessary to power them all down when the configurations should only take place in the modem and router.

So the purpose of this thread is to see how everyone powercycles their modem and to learn what has really works. In all honestly, I've never been confident with the methods I'm using because they seem to never work as expected.
Shinrin
join:2013-02-28
Gadsden, AL

Shinrin

Well i just usually do the unplug thing and plug it back in after a bit to reset it.

also your upgrade seems to be coming tomorrow. I think.
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish

Technician already reprovisioned the modem and said the speeds were there - just needed to power cycle everything. According to Comcast I'm doing something wrong.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

First step, provide some information.

1.) What model modem?
2.) Do you have a router? What model router?
3.) How is your computer connected to said router or modem?

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50 to relish

Premium Member

to relish
The speed increase hasn't happened here yet.
I usually just unplug the modem and plug it back in.

Your tech must have been wrong.....imagine that, a CSR with wrong info!!!
I'm more surprised when they're right.

Have patience my friend, tomorrow usually comes.
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish to beachintech

to beachintech
I have an EMTA modem with the VoIP service, so it has a battery which means unplugging the modem has no effect. Comcast claims all you need to do with that kind is hold the reset button for 5 seconds.

It's confusing because the technician even acknowledged that the new speeds were provisioned in March, and that she had to reprovision the modem. She was so confident that power cycling everything is all I had to do.

beachintech - I have the TM722G. Tried connecting via the router and direct laptop connection. No luck.

mustan50 - Thanks. As impatient as I am now after being told the speeds were here, this thread can still serve to gather info on how people power cycle their EMTA modems.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

In the back of the modem there is a reset hole between the network cable and phone jacks. I use a pen to press the button for about 20 seconds or so. That will reset it.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to relish

Premium Member

to relish
I believe a TM722G isnt a D3 modem. you would need one for the new speeds.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

said by baineschile:

I believe a TM722G isnt a D3 modem. you would need one for the new speeds.

That modem is a D3 modem.
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

In the back of the modem there is a reset hole between the network cable and phone jacks. I use a pen to press the button for about 20 seconds or so. That will reset it.

Resetting the modem isn't hard. The tricky part is resetting it so it pulls the new provisioning information. I tried taking the battery out and unplugging the router for over 5 minutes and even that didn't make a difference. :/

PS: Didn't know there were so many members from Sterling Heights!
asciirider
Premium Member
join:2000-07-25
Chicago, IL

asciirider to relish

Premium Member

to relish
For rebooting the modem, I just use the reset button on it (TM722).

As for your problem, are your running wireless, or through a RJ45 cable?

If it's wireless, you'd need 802.11n as g won't cut it as I found out.

I have one computer with a g adapter and one with n, and using
WEP to secure the network, which limited it to G speeds. I unsecured the network, and voila my N is getting 50/10.

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to relish

Premium Member

to relish
I have an Arris TM722G Gateway and I am too lazy to walk and find something thin and press the reset button so I just go to 192.168.100.1 and do it through there lol

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Are sure your has the upgrade yet?

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick to relish

Premium Member

to relish
FWIW, this area does not have the new blast speeds yet. Still 25/4. Of course it may happen soon.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to relish

MVM

to relish
said by relish:

I have an EMTA modem with the VoIP service, so it has a battery which means unplugging the modem has no effect. Comcast claims all you need to do with that kind is hold the reset button for 5 seconds.

All that you need to do is to depress the reset button - period.

There is no need to unplug or remove the battery, hold the reset for "x" amount of seconds, or any of that. The time that it takes for the eMTA to reset is sufficient unto itself.

With a plain cable modem, a simple turn off, then turn back on will suffice. Some modems actually have a power button, such as the Zoom 5341J, some don't so you unplug them. This is why you hear differing advice but the end goal is the same.
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish to egeek84

to egeek84
said by egeek84:

I have an Arris TM722G Gateway and I am too lazy to walk and find something thin and press the reset button so I just go to 192.168.100.1 and do it through there lol

I have the same one. How do you reset it from there?

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick to relish

Premium Member

to relish
The new blast speeds just happened here! wow, 10:30 am the modem went nuts for 30 minutes and finally settled down.
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

relish

said by jaynick:

The new blast speeds just happened here! wow, 10:30 am the modem went nuts for 30 minutes and finally settled down.

Makes me tingle to know it's officially in the heights. FFS though... 82Mbps?! Perhaps powerboost hasn't been axed yet? Damn!

It's nice to know your modem did it on its own.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick to relish

Premium Member

to relish
Here's shaperprobe results.

egeek84
Premium Member
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to relish

Premium Member

to relish
said by relish:

said by egeek84:

I have the same one. How do you reset it from there?

192.168.100.1, then click on Xfinity, log in, click on troubleshooting on the left hand side, then click reset/reboot gateway, then click "reset"
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish

I don't see an Xfinity button. :/

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

There is no need to unplug or remove the battery, hold the reset for "x" amount of seconds, or any of that. The time that it takes for the eMTA to reset is sufficient unto itself.

FWIW, I've seen this before. Sometimes there is a hardware malfunction with the mechanical reset button where removing the backup battery and simultaneously unplugging the A.C. power cord for about a minute is needed to perform a full hard reset.

Also, if one uses the reset button on the rear, it should be held in long enough until you see the front panel indicator lights begin to cycle and then released.
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish

FWIW, it's worth a lot! That's the kind of insight I've been seeking. Only thing I wonder is why Comcast suggests turning off the router too. I've never had to. Is there a small percentage of routers out there that tend to be finicky?

egeek84
Premium Member
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to relish

Premium Member

to relish
said by relish:

I don't see an Xfinity button. :/

Weird, mine is there between CM State and Advance :/
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish

Lucky... I only see CM State and Advance.

@EG - You know why this is? We have the same modem.

egeek84
Premium Member
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by relish:

Lucky... I only see CM State and Advance.

@EG - You know why this is? We have the same modem.

oh i'm a dumbass. Im sorry I thought I had hte 722g, I just checked though and mine is a TG862G.
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish

OoooOOoOooo I want new model! :P

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

said by relish:

You don't want that gateway device or any gateway device for that matter !!

egeek84
Premium Member
Livermore, CA

egeek84

Premium Member

said by EG:

said by relish:

You don't want that gateway device or any gateway device for that matter !!

Agreed. The wifi in this thing absolutely BLOWS. Bridge Mode was one of the first things I did upon getting it. When I first got voice installed I asked the guy if I could have just a EMTA modem since I already have a router but he said this was all they were giving out now
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish

Can you just not use the modem router? I don't want to ditch my 3700 router for some sub-par Comcast one.