All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
relish
join:2009-07-21
Sterling Heights, MI

relish to beachintech

to beachintech

Re: [Connectivity] How do YOU reset your Comcast modem?

I have an EMTA modem with the VoIP service, so it has a battery which means unplugging the modem has no effect. Comcast claims all you need to do with that kind is hold the reset button for 5 seconds.

It's confusing because the technician even acknowledged that the new speeds were provisioned in March, and that she had to reprovision the modem. She was so confident that power cycling everything is all I had to do.

beachintech - I have the TM722G. Tried connecting via the router and direct laptop connection. No luck.

mustan50 - Thanks. As impatient as I am now after being told the speeds were here, this thread can still serve to gather info on how people power cycle their EMTA modems.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

In the back of the modem there is a reset hole between the network cable and phone jacks. I use a pen to press the button for about 20 seconds or so. That will reset it.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to relish

Premium Member

to relish
I believe a TM722G isnt a D3 modem. you would need one for the new speeds.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

said by baineschile:

I believe a TM722G isnt a D3 modem. you would need one for the new speeds.

That modem is a D3 modem.
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

In the back of the modem there is a reset hole between the network cable and phone jacks. I use a pen to press the button for about 20 seconds or so. That will reset it.

Resetting the modem isn't hard. The tricky part is resetting it so it pulls the new provisioning information. I tried taking the battery out and unplugging the router for over 5 minutes and even that didn't make a difference. :/

PS: Didn't know there were so many members from Sterling Heights!

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Are sure your has the upgrade yet?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to relish

MVM

to relish
said by relish:

I have an EMTA modem with the VoIP service, so it has a battery which means unplugging the modem has no effect. Comcast claims all you need to do with that kind is hold the reset button for 5 seconds.

All that you need to do is to depress the reset button - period.

There is no need to unplug or remove the battery, hold the reset for "x" amount of seconds, or any of that. The time that it takes for the eMTA to reset is sufficient unto itself.

With a plain cable modem, a simple turn off, then turn back on will suffice. Some modems actually have a power button, such as the Zoom 5341J, some don't so you unplug them. This is why you hear differing advice but the end goal is the same.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by PeteC2:

There is no need to unplug or remove the battery, hold the reset for "x" amount of seconds, or any of that. The time that it takes for the eMTA to reset is sufficient unto itself.

FWIW, I've seen this before. Sometimes there is a hardware malfunction with the mechanical reset button where removing the backup battery and simultaneously unplugging the A.C. power cord for about a minute is needed to perform a full hard reset.

Also, if one uses the reset button on the rear, it should be held in long enough until you see the front panel indicator lights begin to cycle and then released.
relish
Sterling Heights, MI

relish

FWIW, it's worth a lot! That's the kind of insight I've been seeking. Only thing I wonder is why Comcast suggests turning off the router too. I've never had to. Is there a small percentage of routers out there that tend to be finicky?