share rss forum feed

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

Register.com & Transfering

I currently have a couple domains listed at Register.com and I'm transfering everything to one domain finally (name.com) and when I went to obtain the unlock/transfer code from Register.com I get this after confirming everything:

Your request for an Auth Code has been received and your information will be validated for security reasons. If your request is approved, you will receive your Auth Code by email in 4-5 days.

To cancel this request, please call one of our Customer Service Representatives at 1.877.318.7563.

Thank you.

anyone else ever get this with them or another registrar? I never had this with GoDaddy and seems like they want to try and keep my name/s.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by TBBroadband:

anyone else ever get this with them or another registrar? I never had this with GoDaddy and seems like they want to try and keep my name/s.

They are permitted up to 5 days to provide the code. Yes, it's probably a stall tactic, but there is little you can do about it now. They may just say that to give them the full amount of time but actually process it sooner.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
It's just the part that says "if approved" the code would be provided.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
I understand where you are coming from, but I think you're probably reading more into it then what is really there. It's not so much that they are approving it, but rather they aren't rejecting it.

The normal process is you sign in to their web interface and request the auth code. They send an email to the contact that's listed as part of the domain registration. If no one notifies them to cancel the request in X number of days, the code is provided.

Now imagine your account for the website has been compromised. A malicious individual initiates a domain transfer unbeknownst to you. If the code was provided immediately, the transfer could take place before you had a chance to be notified and/or respond.

Now the process isn't foolproof as if your web account was compromised, your email account could also be. But it's better than nothing.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
Register.com is the only one I've seen taken this step. GoDaddy has you request the code, and then emails it to you within a few minutes but still makes you unlock the domain to transfer it.

I don't see the point in waiting 5 days. And I never got an email about the code. Just that I had to wait to have it "approved" which takes 5 days.

s0nicfreak

join:2003-01-19
Griffith, IN
reply to TBBroadband
My request was not approved! They had no reason to not approve it. There is no doubt it is me requesting it.

I was planning to transfer my domains away because I was not going to pay $35 each to renew. But they did give me a coupon code to renew for $10 each, which I had no choice but to use when they refused to give me the auth code.

Now those domains are pretty much held hostage. When the renewal comes again, if they do not give me another coupon code, I will be forced to pay $35 each. I wish I had known this before signing up with Register.com and building some money-making sites on those domains!

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to TBBroadband
Did you try calling them on the phone?