spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Bigg_T76
join:2013-03-05
Alton, VA

Bigg_T76

HT1000 Networking Issue

First, let me start off by saying this is a great site. A quick background, I am a software developer/computer tech for a small IT company where I live.

We have this client (who just happens to be 45 mins away from our office) that is having an issue with her Gen4 HT1000 and her LAN (it's for a small business). She has s Linksys BEFSR41 which is distributing the network to all of the computers (and one printer).

The issue is that the Linsys router needs to be restarted EVERY morning or else they won't be able to access the internet (only the linksys not the HT). The router is configured to obtain IP automatically and DHCP is enabled (so the network printer will be stable). The Linsys has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 so it will not clash with the HT's 192.168.0.1.

Now I've done my homework and this seems to be a somewhat common issue with the Gen4 stuff. I'm wondering if anybody has been able to successfully maintain a stable network using ANY kind of router behind the HT1000 for a prolonged period of time? This wasn't an issue for the first couple of months. If so, what router are you using & what settings so that I may attempt to replicate? (the subnet and other values are correct as well per other similar posts I've found ex. Linksys subnet 255.255.255.0 and HT subnet 255.255.255.248)

I would love to fix this problem remotely if I can, as I have already been out there twice and this is getting in the way of the real work I have to do (coding). That is of course IF it can be fixed....heard some weird stuff about Gen4.

Anyway, all help is appreciated. Thanks.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

grohgreg

I resolved a similar issue HT1000 vs router (Belkin) by changing the router DHCP range to 192.168.2.100 - 192.168.2.200

//greg//
Bigg_T76
Alton, VA

Bigg_T76

Thanks, grohgreg. I'll have to look into that. I know that the rest of the equipment on the network is in the 192.168.1.100 -.110 range, I think the router is set up to hand out in 100-256. I'll look into that.

Also, what model Belkin are you using if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks.
Bigg_T76

Bigg_T76

And how long has it been running successfully, too? (just curious)

Thanks again!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Can't tellya. But it was still working two weeks later when I cancelled my account and returned the modem/TRIA to Hughes. That said, the cancellation was for reasons other than the DHCP thing.

//greg//

C0RR0SIVE88
@direcpc.com

C0RR0SIVE88 to Bigg_T76

Anon

to Bigg_T76
I have had a somewhat similar issue, though not as extreme, it may be entirely different.

But at times, it seems my modem will loose connection to the gateway and get re-assigned to a different one, thus changing the IP it leases to the router I use. The issue is, where the link never really dies, my router holds onto the old IP and can't communicate with the modem anymore.

I tend to have to fully reboot PFSense 2.1-Beta and the modem at the same time so that there are no conflicts...

Now that I think about it though, the DHCP lease time on the modem is 2 minutes, so the router would have to give up the lease every two minutes and request a new lease... So the issue I experience once in a blue moon is somewhat different... I have a longer than normal DHCP lease time...
Bigg_T76
Alton, VA

Bigg_T76

Thanks guys for all of your input. It has been a big help.

UPDATE: This morning the network did not need to be rebooted after some changes I made withing the Linksys & HT1000. I re-checked all of the settings, changed the DNS servers (inside the Linksys) to

1: 192.168.1.1 (Linksys address)
2: 8.8.8.8
3: 66.82.4.8

and made sure to turn off Web-Acceleration (in HT1000), or as it should more appropriately be called Web-Deceleration. I'm not sure which of these fixed the issue as the DNS was defaulting to the HT1000 @ 192.168.0.1.

Of course there was one old XP machine that didn't want to play nice till I rebooted the router remotely, but it was confirmed that it went from a network wide issue to a single PC. And if I'm lucky, there won't be that issue tomorrow.

Anyway, just thought I'd post findings for anyone who may have this issue in the future.

Thanks again and happy computing!
Bigg_T76

Bigg_T76

UPDATE:

No fix yet. Same issue as before.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by Bigg_T76:

UPDATE:

No fix yet.

Try a ASUS RT-N10+

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33320066

PS: I know nothing...but she's using an old router.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Bigg_T76

MVM

to Bigg_T76
said by Bigg_T76:

The issue is that the Linsys router needs to be restarted EVERY morning or else they won't be able to access the internet (only the linksys not the HT). The router is configured to obtain IP automatically and DHCP is enabled (so the network printer will be stable). The Linsys has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 so it will not clash with the HT's 192.168.0.1.

Now I've done my homework and this seems to be a somewhat common issue with the Gen4 stuff.

I wouldn't know about the Gen4 stuff. In 2001 I bought a Linksys BEFSR11 which exhibited the same behavior on a Pacific Bell (SBC) DSL circuit. I just replaced the Linksys with an SMC Barricade 7004BR, and never looked back.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

said by Bigg_T76:

UPDATE:

No fix yet.

Try a ASUS RT-N10+

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33320066

PS: I know nothing...but she's using an old router.

ASUS is something i heavily can trust..
I bought a motherboard from them, bought a 20 inch flat screen, had my brother buy a motherboard from them.
Got ASUS everywhere, its a great company(:
Bigg_T76
Alton, VA

Bigg_T76

Thanks for the insight everyone. So far it is working better (stayed up from Thurs - Sat evening) but not better.

@DrStrangLov & diablo1892:
I like the price on that router, don't have a lot of experience with ASUS, but a co-worker uses them for her laptop, and I don't think she has ever had a problem with them as well.

@NormanS
It's good to know that someone else has had a similar problem with similar equipment on a completely different system. Proof I am not as crazy/incompetent as I was beginning to think .

Thanks again, looks like I will be replacing the router, will post findings as they are available.