All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

[Cable] Recomended routers With enough Horsepower for 150/10?

Well With the 150/10 On the horizon i want to prepare anyone recomend a router that can handle the speeds? i was thinking netgear wndr3700 Bit i Have no idea what router would deal with this best.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Re: [Cable] Recomended routers With enough Horsepower for 150/10

My recommendations would be the:

Linksys EA4500 or ASUS RT-N66u

Or their 802.11a equivalents:

Linksys EA6500 ASUS RT-AC66u

frankhomeand
Cisco Geek
join:2004-12-05
Oakland, CA

frankhomeand to morisato

to morisato
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· n-to-lan

Probably a good benchmark.
I have a 3700 and it supports about 400 on paper (haven't tried it yet).

Also i'd vouch for the Linksys products.

King Sull
Premium Member
join:2012-03-26
Etobicoke, ON

King Sull to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
Biggest bang for your buck »www.kickstarter.com/proj ··· art-home
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Only problem with yours KingSull is its not around till october p:)

King Sull
Premium Member
join:2012-03-26
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

King Sull

Premium Member

September. I've heard good things about the first version. If you can wait.

Teksavvy isn't agg POI yet so hold your horses.

I also have the WNDR3700, get the R6200 it's the step up for the same price or even cheaper in some cases.

Netgear R6200:
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 33122479

Same as the Almond+ without app support and a touch screen and $72+ more.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
My recommendation: a desktop PC that you might have lying around with 2 gigabit network cards..run into a gigabit switch.

Nothing beats the reliability of PC and of linux.

Just my thoughts, not sure if price or space is an issue.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp

said by nitzguy:

Is there a good networking distro? The Tomato user interface does an OK job at managing firewall, dns, and vpn rules. It would be quite a task to do the same from scratch using command line.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by QuantumPimp:

Is there a good networking distro

pfsense: »www.pfsense.org/

Watch out using a PC for this job though... Power consumption is killer, and you'll end up spending a lot of money on it. A laptop is much better, but you'd need some kind of kludge to get a second ethernet port onto it (or you'd need a switch that supports vlans).

Unfortunately, I never seem to have time to learn it

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to QuantumPimp

Premium Member

to QuantumPimp
said by QuantumPimp:

said by nitzguy:

Is there a good networking distro? The Tomato user interface does an OK job at managing firewall, dns, and vpn rules. It would be quite a task to do the same from scratch using command line.

You're right, its more work to get it going and Tomato and DD-WRT's interfaces are a heck of a lot easier to get going vs diving into something like a Debian with pfsense or something like that.

I just find my router (WNR3500L) even though its running Tomato, seems to have issues....seems to need a reboot every few days even though nothings changed...I'm sure the uptime on my linux server from back in 2005 was over 200 days without any sort of reboot required...the thing just chugged along...and I know with a gigabit card and a gigabit switch, that it'd be able to handle the increased speeds no problemo....even with a 10 year old PC with maybe a 1ghz processor if not older could easily handle those speeds.
mikefallen
join:2010-01-27
Scarborough, ON

mikefallen to QuantumPimp

to QuantumPimp
If your looking to make a serious router X86 is the way to go all these a ~500mhz arm processors cant compare.... get your self an off lease server for 60-100 $

Example: (»toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy- ··· 45506576)

Many good router OS avail for free

Pfsense - »www.pfsense.org/ ***highly recommend***
smoothwall - »www.smoothwall.org/
unTangle - »www.untangle.com/
Sophos UMI - »www.sophos.com/en-us/products/fr···ion.aspx

I would like to point out if your a complete noob its gonna be rather difficult to setup a server with one of these os....but if your teksavvy its no problemo....also the opportunisties are endless with these....for example my home setup i have 1 x dsl 25/7 1x cable 28/1 combined to give me 53/11 also i have all my traffic that might gain me unwanted attention *cough cough voltage* routed over a vpn that keeps no logs....

just beware its a tinkerers dream i have spent a couple days fiddling with them

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
The expensive routers are nice but plenty of mid-range ones will do OK.

The site I have found that has reviews and measurements of networking equipment is smallnetbuilder.com.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· n-to-lan
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

You're right, its more work to get it going and Tomato and DD-WRT's interfaces are a heck of a lot easier to get going vs diving into something like a Debian with pfsense or something like that.

Linux and pfSense have nothing to do with each other and pfSense is better than Tomato and DD-WRT.
mikefallen
Scarborough, ON

mikefallen to morisato

to morisato
pfsense is based on freeBSD not linux

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by mikefallen:

pfsense is based on freeBSD not linux

Yes...I wasn't trying to split hairs though as "most" people lump them both together...even though they are separate.

@brad, I know the differences I was just generalizing maybe too much....sorry .

Last time I dabbled into it was 2005....I just used Debian that I had installed and used iptables to route...never used anything fancy and it worked just fine for me.

Has me thinking of getting back into that though as I have a PC just lying around gathering dust.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to mikefallen

to mikefallen
said by mikefallen:

If your looking to make a serious router X86 is the way to go all these a ~500mhz arm processors cant compare.... get your self an off lease server for 60-100 $

Way way overkill for such a low end connection. A lot of noise and way too much power being consumed for the job.
said by mikefallen:

I would like to point out if your a complete noob its gonna be rather difficult to setup a server with one of these os....but if your teksavvy its no problemo

If you're that much of a noob then you shouldn't be fiddling with routers at all.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to morisato

to morisato
pfsense on Atom will have no trouble with 150/10. Don't worry about the naysayers, as pfsense can do simple WAN/LAN routing with no configuration beyond booting from the install CD/USB then telling it which NIC is which.

That said, Ubiquiti's new EdgeRouter Lite has really impressed me lately. For $99 this thing can do wire speed on three gigabit ports. Like pfsense, you will need to pair it with a switch if you have more than one or two computers, and it doesn't come with wireless.

Speaking of wireless, I'm a huge fan of Tomato, but 160 Mbps is going to be a stretch. I haven't benchmarked my RT-N66u, but based on my experiences with Tomato on slower hardware like the WL-520gu, I would estimate the n66u's throughput to be closer to 100 Mbps in real life.

Dollar-wise, you would be hard pressed to do better than the ERL paired with a decent router with gig ports running in AP mode.

»www.ubnt.com/edgemax#edg ··· ter-lite

»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Yes...I wasn't trying to split hairs though as "most" people lump them both together...even though they are separate.

@brad, I know the differences I was just generalizing maybe too much....sorry .

Last time I dabbled into it was 2005....I just used Debian that I had installed and used iptables to route...never used anything fancy and it worked just fine for me.

There is a huge difference between straight Debian or any other desktop/workstation or server oriented Linux based OS and pfSense.
vikingisson
join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

vikingisson to morisato

to morisato
Or split the difference between consumer grade routers and DIY PC routers, the Mikrotik routers are the best bang for the buck I've used. Very small, tiny power usage, multiple ports, highly flexible, pretty easy to configure.
Something like the RB750GL can push 1G:
»routerboard.com/RB750GL

There are wifi versions and versions with USB which is handy to configure for a cell data device as failover. The 5 ports can be arranged any way you want including multiple WANs.
xcimo
Fibe 50-50
join:2007-11-21
Gatineau, QC

xcimo to morisato

to morisato
www.astaro.org free for home use

random
@teksavvy.com

random to morisato

Anon

to morisato
Here is a "LAN & WAN Router Charts Router Charts - WAN to LAN Throughput" at »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· rts/view
/Thread

There is the roll your own path with PC if you want even more power and flexibility.

There is dual 500MHz MIPS64 cores solution for $99:
»www.ubnt.com/edgemax
>Layer 3 Forwarding Performance
>Packet Size: 64 Bytes 1,000,000 pps
>Packet Size: 512 Bytes or Larger 3 Gbps (Line Rate)
darrylr
join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON

1 edit

darrylr

Cisco/Linksys e4200 v1?

I just upgraded my home lan to gigabit with this. So far it seems to work well. I'm running DD-WRT firmware on it.

It supports the tomato-based firmware, 2.4 and 5 GHz Wireless N and is only $70.

»wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksy ··· E4200_v1

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
RB2011

»routerboard.com/RB2011UA ··· -2HnD-IN

No 5.8ghz but for $129 is plenty fast enough.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to morisato

MVM

to morisato
Two notes:

1) The Almond+ on kickstarter that was linked to is overpriced. It's a 2x2 router that costs a bunch more than similarly spec'd 3x3 802.11n routers.

2) Few if any wireless routers use ARM processors. They typically use MIPS processors.
mdirouhi
join:2011-01-07
Scarborough, ON

mdirouhi to morisato

to morisato
Apple Airport Extreme
»www.apple.com/ca/airportextreme/

Here is a review: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00 to morisato

to morisato
i'm pretty sure you linked Astaro in another post.

that's also router as you should know, you can put it on an old desktop you have and it'll handle any speed that's available in Canada.
mikefallen
Scarborough, ON

mikefallen to morisato

to morisato
yeah i meant MIPS.... been playing with my raspberry pi too much :P
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3 to morisato

to morisato
My WNDR3800 running OpenWrt regularly pushes 125 - 140 Mbps to an Intel Wifi Link 5300 card in a laptop.

The routing performance of OpenWrt running on a 400 MHz MIPS TP-Link WR1043ND was measured at over 180 Mbps and the WNDR3700/WNDR3800 are running more powerful 680 MHz CPUs plus 64 or 128 MB RAM:
»wiki.openwrt.org/doc/har ··· formance
bbhog
join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

bbhog to morisato

to morisato
What about Buffalo PJ3815 WZR-D1800H,
$100 at TDirect right now.

RMerlin
join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC

RMerlin to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Two notes:

2) Few if any wireless routers use ARM processors. They typically use MIPS processors.

The new Asus RT-AC56U that was recently announced has the new Broadcom SoC, which has dual-core Cortex A9. That router won't be available for a few more months however. That new CPU muscle will open the door for some very interesting applications...