how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OgreMkV

join:2013-03-05
Round Rock, TX

Network setup for U-verse

Hi all, I'm building a house as we speak and I've got my cables all setup (cat 5e everywhere), but I'm still not sure I get all the pieces of a U-verse network.

Here's what I will be running.
2-3 TVs (with 2 STBs)
3-5 PC/laptops
3-4 tablets
2-3 smartphones
Xbox - yes with FPS so I need this to have a high priority
Roku

My plan, tentative though it is, is to run the STBs directly from the gateway. I'll have a gigabit switch in the On-Q panel to link the rest of the network to the gateway. I'll have the majority of the rest of the devices connected directly to that switch, except for my office which will have a (I'm planning) a wireless router with a 4-port gigabit LAN.

I'll have the network printer, two laptops, and a NAS attached directly to that. I'm looking at the ASUS RT-AC66U for this. The guest mode and some other features would be very convenient for me.

My questions are as follows
1) Is the RG smart enough NOT to send multicast packets to the non-STB ports on the RG? If not, does the switch need to be managed or will an unmanged QoS capable switch be able to handle stopping the multicast packets?

2) For this setup, would it be better to run the gateway in DMZ mode and run everything through the switch? This will present a bit of an issue as I would need at least 9 ports + an uplink port.

3) VLANs using a netgear 108T or equivalent? I can do a fair bit of networking, but I've never setup a VLAN (or used a managed switch before).

4)?? I'm sure I'm missing something here. What else do I need to be thinking about?

I appreciate all advice.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2

Yes, the RG will not send multicast traffic out of a LAN port if there is no receiver downwind on that port. As long as you segregate the receivers from your network devices at the RG itself, you don't need any special network equipment and dumb switches will get the job done.
Consumer grade network equipment does not support IGMP packet snooping, but it is fairly simple to have all the receivers fed from 1 LAN port on the RG with any basic dumb switch. Your install tech can provide said switch and may even use coax or ATT's own wireless receivers to get those two receivers where you want them.
DMZ is definitely the way to go if you want to have greater control over your own network (the RG has no user controllable QoS or content control), but the Uverse RG is going to handle all the network traffic just fine without any special configuration provided you don't mix that multicast and unicast traffic by plugging your network devices into the back of the receivers or into a switch that has a receiver attached to it.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
reply to OgreMkV

No way AFAIK to QoS-prioritize anything (like Xbox) higher than TV, though just supposed to have plenty of BW to spare...

There's some issue with smartphones as STB remotes? If they are on your router's Wifi (separate subnet, segregated from the multicast), they can't control TV. But if on the RG's Wifi, *all* their network usage also necessarily by-passes your router's QoS controls.

What are some consumer-affordable QoS-capable switches? That sounds promising...

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to OgreMkV

Run Coax you never know when you may want to get Comcast or DirecTV.
--
PRescott7-2097

OgreMkV

join:2013-03-05
Round Rock, TX

Thanks all.

Joako, if it wasn't for my mom, I wouldn't have cable or satellite. We were doing just fine with netflix and Amazon VoD. She wanted it, she's paying for it.

I don't care about smartphones as remotes. I don't watch U-verse and my mom doesn't have a smartphone.

So, I can either set the RG to DMZ and put a managed switch after it
-or-
have the two set-top-boxes come off two ports in the RG and a line to a switch that will only handle data off another port in the RG.

If I place my wireless router on that switch, there won't be a problem with multicast traffic on the wireless devices, yes?

That's my biggest concern.

THanks again!