Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

Mystery plant that fights back

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I have a few potted plants that have mysterious volunteers growing in them. I think the potting mix was contaminated or something. This stuff has attacked all three people in this household with a very potent burning sensation and almost instantaneous formation of a rash where the plant touched the skin. Even lightly grazing the edges of the leaves results in pain and a rash. The rash goes away within a day or so and it doesn't itch.

Any ideas?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

Looks like a nettle to me.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nettle

Oedipus

1 recommendation

Definitely. After looking into it some more it looks like "Urtica incisa" or "Urtica dioica."

I think I'll pull it out and throw it into my neighbor's yard.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Oedipus

What you have there is a "country medicine" plant.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nettle

quote:
Uses and medical properties of nettles

Arthritic joints were traditionally treated by whipping the joint with a branch of stinging nettles. The theory was that it stimulated the adrenals and thus reduced swelling and pain in the joint. Various studies support the effectiveness of this treatment.[2][3]

Various types of Nettle have been studied for their effects on prostate hypertrophy, diabetes mellitus, rheumatic disease, hypertension, gastrointestinal symptoms, osteoarthritis, diarrhea, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammation, pain,[4] constipation, gastrointestinal disease, headache, nausea, common cold, arthritis, asthma, bleeding, respiratory tract disease, allergic rhinitis, kidney disease, prostate cancer, skin disease and urinary tract disease.[5][verification needed][unreliable source?] In terms of allergies, nettle contains properties of an antihistamine to be used for treating reactions associated with the respiratory system.[6][unreliable source?] Nettles can also be used to make a tisane known as "nettle tea".

Some people pay for that medicine.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Oedipus

1 recommendation

reply to Oedipus

Well in that case I'm going to rub my face and nether regions in it every morning before I leave for work.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Oedipus

said by Oedipus:

Unless you want it in your yard, I'd suggest just getting rid of it. If you send them over to your neighbor's yard they will be back in yours in short order.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to Oedipus

said by Oedipus:

Well in that case I'm going to rub my face and nether regions in it every morning before I leave for work.

ROFLMAO
--
Professional student pilot!

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

reply to Oedipus

Audrey II while still a sprout? (Oh, the "horror"! [and that's all the hints you'll get ])

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

said by NotTheMama:

Audrey II while still a sprout? (Oh, the "horror"! [and that's all the hints you'll get ])

well played

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

That's only a LITTLE hint

Oedipus

reply to cdru

said by cdru:

said by Oedipus:

Unless you want it in your yard, I'd suggest just getting rid of it. If you send them over to your neighbor's yard they will be back in yours in short order.

Small price to pay, trust me.

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
reply to Oedipus

Oh, the memories!

Living in the country, going to the bathroom outside.

If the nettles don't get you, the poison ivy will.

Been there, done both.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Oedipus

yep a stinging nettle.

The leaves taste a bit like spinach after boiling.

If you crumple it up really fast sometimes it does not get a chance to sting you. This looks like an outside plant so the seeds could have blown there. I suspect someone nearby has a wild patch growing under a bush.

It will be back.

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo

join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA
reply to Oedipus

HA... My brother once wiped his butt with one of those... Poor guy couldn't sleep for days. In Brazil we used to rub alcohol where the leaf touched to lessen the effect.

I remember asking my brother why he did it and he said the leaves looked much softer than whatever else was available in the woods.

Oh, the childhood memories...

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
reply to Oedipus

Can you get seeds for that stuff?

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Oedipus

When you go to get rid of it, don't just pull it out! Paint, or fine mist, the leaves with white (distilled) vinegar, preferably top and bottom. Stick a piece of carboard between the nettle and whatever you want to keep in the pot. If you just pull it out you may leave some of the hair roots, and it'll just come right back. You need to kill the plant before removing it.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Oedipus

said by Pacrat:

When you go to get rid of it, don't just pull it out! Paint, or fine mist, the leaves with white (distilled) vinegar, preferably top and bottom. Stick a piece of carboard between the nettle and whatever you want to keep in the pot. If you just pull it out you may leave some of the hair roots, and it'll just come right back. You need to kill the plant before removing it.

Luckily that pot doesn't have anything desirable in it, so it will be easy to dispose of. I have seen the nettle in a couple other desirable pots, though; thanks for the heads up.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

said by Oedipus:

ROFLMAO

I too almost died when I read that!

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Oedipus

We've had lots of those, so I learned to avoid them, or wear long pants.

Just put on glove and pull it out -- no need for any magic. They are actually edible when cooked.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

fruhead

join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ
reply to Oedipus

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jZPeSRf_U

ooooOOOOOoooooooo!

*side note: Still one of the best British SciFi films - right up there with 'Day the Earth Caught Fire'