spc
uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to elitefx

to elitefx

Re: What type of router to purchase?

The 300W power supply is just fine, the GT630 is second from the bottom, its a very low power card and probably does minimally better than on-die graphics solutions from Intel & AMD. People really have no idea how power efficient computers are now, you can run any system of Intel's most power hungry cpu and most of the top tier graphics cards with just a 500-550W power supply. Output has nothing to do with how it will handle brownouts. For the most parts, OEMs chose from pretty well built PSUs from Liteon for pre-built machines.

Missherlock, I would recommend either the Linksys EA4500 or ASUS RT-N66u, either or will future proof you for a good number of years. And are in the top 5 performers for 802.11n routers.
MissSherlock
join:2009-05-17
Ontario

MissSherlock

Good Morning Teddy, elitefx, and TypeS,

I'm in a block of several condos with good distance between us. We're about 16 storeys with 20 units a floor. Many use Rogers wireless in the building. I'm in the youngest building of all. It's about 7 years old.

The RT-N16 is an older router and therefore the newer version of RT-N66U would be money well spent for the future. It offers, as many of you have mentioned, dual-band.

I was a bit concerned about 300W of power considering the extras on my new computer.

Fortunately, I don't play any video games on my computer which would no doubt use lots of CPUs. However, I'd like to be able to stream stuff sitting on my computer to my TV.

The HDMI cable didn't work because there are too many corners to the LRm. Straight run is about 16 feet but I'd be tripping on the cable.

Thanks bunches,

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS

said by MissSherlock:

Good Morning Teddy, elitefx, and TypeS,

I was a bit concerned about 300W of power considering the extras on my new computer.

Fortunately, I don't play any video games on my computer which would no doubt use lots of CPUs. However, I'd like to be able to stream stuff sitting on my computer to my TV.

If you plan on adding stuff to your computer but aren't a gamer,you wouldn't need a substantial upgrade on the power supply.

Something like this Corsair 430W from Canada Computers will do just fine for the life of your computer. You'd only need more if you plan on a mid range graphics card or higher.

If you line in an condo complex, I'd recommend a dual band router like the ASUS RT-N66u then, you'll get maximum 802.11n performance from that unit.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

The 300W power supply is just fine, the GT630 is second from the bottom, its a very low power card and probably does minimally better than on-die graphics solutions from Intel & AMD.

Maybe so but MINIMUM system power requirement 300 watts for the GT630. So with system overhead and a 150 watt buffer(safety) allowance you're looking at 550-650 watt PSU easily.

Running the minimum specs is just asking for trouble and eliminating any upgrade path. Pay me know or pay me big time later. You know how it works.

»www.geforce.com/hardware ··· ications

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by elitefx:

said by TypeS:

The 300W power supply is just fine, the GT630 is second from the bottom, its a very low power card and probably does minimally better than on-die graphics solutions from Intel & AMD.

Maybe so but MINIMUM system power requirement 300 watts for the GT630. So with system overhead and a 150 watt buffer(safety) allowance you're looking at 550-650 watt PSU easily.

Running the minimum specs is just asking for trouble and eliminating any upgrade path. Pay me know or pay me big time later. You know how it works.

Yikes, talk about overkill. My system has an i7-3770K and a GTX 670 with only a 500W PSU (and is specifically certified to run both those parts or better at the same time), and you're saying she needs a 650w for a dinky little 630?

She's got a 95W processor and a 65W GPU; a 300W power supply is perfectly fine.

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by TypeS:

Minimum requirement from both NVIDIA and AMD are always conservative and are well above the actual minimum. OEMs are not fools, they would not release a product that just barely functions. Sites like Guru3D measure the actual power draws of cards and systems running a load, and they reach the same consensus as well.