spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

khasner

@verizon.net

08873 DSL OUtage Once Agan

Suspiciously...my DSL is out the day after the VErizon FIOS tent was in my complex doing the hard sell....I told them no thanks....then this.....

Only a matter of time until they chase away all customers.......what a strategy

khasner

@verizon.net

Back online....very strange....hate these morning outages !!!!!!!!!!!

khasner

join:2013-03-07
Somerset, NJ
reply to khasner

OK...out again this morning...modem is interesting...Westell 6100...but while I do have a connection now...the red internet light is also intermittent....seeming to indicate some problem.

I wonder if the windy conditions are amplifying a bad line connection somewhere down the road ?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

said by khasner:

OK...out again this morning...modem is interesting...Westell 6100...but while I do have a connection now...the red internet light is also intermittent....seeming to indicate some problem.

#1 If you are on PPPoE - DHCP (PPPoE - setting in modem combo), there is an issue on the PPPoE Server.

#2 If you are on pure DHCP (Bridge-Routed Bridge DHCP Enabled - setting in modem combo), there is an issue on the DHCP Server.

#3 If you were on pure Static IP (Bridge-Routed Bridge DHCP Disabled - setting in modem combo), as far as I know the Internet Light never goes off.

#4 If you were to have the modem combo set to bridge-bridge ( REF = »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? ) the Internet Light is always off.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

khasner

join:2013-03-07
Somerset, NJ

My situation is #4 as I have a wireless router to distribute addressing on the net...however...during normal ops the internet light has always been off.

This red intermittent flashing seems to indicate to me that either my modem is starting to flake....probably 5 years old...or there is a problem with the Verizon server it connects to...which has always been the issue before during outages....they almost always fixed themselves without incident but this is dragging on....but I do have access for now...but not sure for how long.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by khasner:

My situation is #4 as I have a wireless router to distribute addressing on the net...however...during normal ops the internet light has always been off.

said by khasner:

This red intermittent flashing seems to indicate to me that there is a problem with the Verizon server it connects to...

a) As far as I know, if the modem combo is not setup to handle the public (it is setup for Bridge-Bridge) the modem combo does not talk to anyone - upstream.

b) As far as I know what you say is only for a cable modem if it is are not setup to handle the public IP or for any modem that is setup to handle the public IP.

said by khasner:

This red intermittent flashing seems to indicate to me that my modem is starting to flake....probably 5 years old.

That guess of yours is as good as mine.

We can try to find out why, if we can...

How is the dsl modem - wired setup?

For example..

a) My DSL modem is connected to a surge protector and my dsl modem is connected to my Dynex DX-EHB4 ver 3.0

b) The surge protector is connected to an outlet.

c) My Dynex DX-EHB4 ver 3.0 is also connected to the WAN (Or Internet OR To Modem) Port of my Linksys E4200 v1.

d) And then all of my computers are connected by wire or without wires to my Linksys E4200 v1,
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

khasner1

@verizon.net

Well...moot point at this time...Verizon has decided the modem is too old to try and debug the issue while still in place..so they are sending out a new one ..then we go from there...thanks for the help.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to khasner

Upon reflection I take that back that the Internet Light is always off when my modem combo is not setup to handle the public IP.

For example when it turns back on after a power failure - the Internet light is briefly red.

But also after the power is back on: My DSL light starts flashing and then after a short period of time, the DSL light stays green..

quote:
Well...moot point at this time...Verizon has decided the modem is too old to try and debug the issue while still in place..so they are sending out a new one ..then we go from there...thanks for the help.

Yes, keep me and who ever else is reading this - updated.

--

khasner1

@verizon.net

Set up the new actiontec router/modem sent by Verizon...so far so good. Perhaps my old Westell was just past its prime.

The only odd thing was that the modem/router seems to allocate 2 addresses for itself...I'm guessing the router is separate logical device even though in same unit as both 192.168.1.1 and .2 are taken before any of my net devices are powered up. It's odd because .2 is in the DHCP range ...oh well seems to work fine and seems a little faster to my wifi devices also.