Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

2 edits

SpHeRe31459 to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA

Re: [HD] FIOS Moving to MPEG-4 HD

Exactly. MPEG4/AVC is more than good enough for the forseeable future. Think how long MPEG2 has been "good enough".
MPEG4 equipment is reasonably mature and easily sourced from many equipment vendors (for all points in the distribution chain from CPE, to headnend, to content distribution, etc).

HEVC has no shipping products, it has no decoding chips available yet, let alone a version that could be integrated into a SoC for set-box use. The standard was literally just ratified only 3 months ago. There is no HEVC equipment to deploy yet. First generation decoding chips aren't expected until mid-to-late 2013. Tech demos of the broadcast/cable TV solutions are going to shown later this month at the NAB show.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Yeah, exactly, we'll see HEVC within a year for a couple of 4K channels, but that doesn't require much equipment, if 0.3% of subscribers actually have a box for 4k, vs. 90% of customers using HD. They should do MPEG-4 AVC now for HD, leave SD as MPEG-2, and use HEVC for 4k.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I'm confused, is this TiVo rep right or wrong about TiVo not supporting MPEG4?

»youtu.be/q6t-EpRB6aI?t=2m35s
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

He's clearly wrong, there are comments on the video that even say so.

Series 4 hardware definitely supports MPEG4/AVC since FIOS users have no problems with any channels.

More support here:
»www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t=486888
quote:
My cable provider (CinciBell Lebanon) is upgrading their channels to MPEG4 from MPEG2, and my 2 Series 3 HD Tivos (1 on a lifetime sub ) won't show anything on the channels with MPEG4, while my newer Premiere is having no problems.
and here:
»support.tivo.com/app/ans ··· _id/2424
quote:
All Premiere series DVRs support 3D content delivered in MPEG2 and MPEG4 format and can record and play back 3D broadcasts on a 3D TV.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Thank goodness. I thought I was right but wasn't 100%. What pisses me off is that this guy is supposed to know the correct information and he doesn't and he's out training people with the wrong info, on video no less. It's the equivalent of a college professor stating that the battle of Alamo was won by Texas.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
The info about what TiVos support what is available on the internet.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

4 edits

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

The info about what TiVos support what is available on the internet.

Acutally I had chance to watch the video, when I saw the post initially I was at work.

What the TiVO rep is talking about is MoCA sharing of recordings from the DVR to a Mini or another DVR. He seems to be phrasing it pretty poorly. It seems to be he's just describing sharing recordings from Premiere to Premiere DVR, something TiVo has done for a while, they call it Multi-Room Streaming.

What he's saying is that via MoCA or traditional Ethernet the raw recording is being sent over a wired connection, it has not been recompressed into some other codec or resolution for streaming (that would be what the TiVo Stream is for).

»www.tivo.com/mytivo/howt ··· oca.html

I don't even know why he brought it up, when streaming recordings TiVo-to-TiVo it has always worked that way, and always required some form of a hardwired connection, it's not like it's a new thing.

I think since this is a MoCA Alliance presentation and aimed at custom home theater installers he says it to basically support the fact that MoCA is a great way to hardwire things without running Ethernet cables. And because it's a robust hardwired connection there is no recompression needed to send recordings from TiVo to TiVo.

Sheesh, after that time index Mike linked to he uses a strange mixed metaphor. He keeps going on about MPEG4 and how TV providers use it, as if the TiVo has any control over that. He's confusing the recordings from the cable channel itself (which could be in MPEG2 or MPEG4 or in HD or in SD depending on channel that was recorded and the MSO) and the home networking streaming technology to stream those recordings.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to BiggA

to BiggA
I know BiggA.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

to SpHeRe31459
But the idea that they recompress at all to go room to room is nonsense. And MPEG-4 is far superior to MPEG-2, but TiVo is stuck with what they're stuck with when most cable companies are still living in a bygone era.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

But the idea that they recompress at all to go room to room is nonsense.

Exactly. I have no idea why that guy even brought it up, like they might be recompressing, only to say that they don't thanks to the power of a wired network connection (via MoCA bridge or direct Ethernet).