join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to LeeDeMarco

Premium Member

to LeeDeMarco

Re: [HD] FIOS Moving to MPEG-4 HD

1GHZ is the max for cable systems. DirecTV uses frequencies up to 2200mhz in the house, but that's over a much shorter run.

Comcast doesn't seem to like SDV, and given their openness to CableCard (once they get their almost-box-fee of course), I doubt that would be their first option. MPEG-4 makes the most sense, as you can swap out a small proportion of boxes over a phase-in period, and you get huge gains without splitting nodes, which SDV depends on. However, they would need very few tuning adapters, as once the whole TiVo-VOD thing finishes rolling out, all those boxes could also control SDV through software with minor software changes, as opposed to through the TAs.

I don't think they want to go over 860, and I have a suspicion it has to do with inside wiring. The higher you push the frequencies, the more issues you have. For example, at my parents' house, everything was working great until they added more HDs, and one of the newer ones, SNY, was dropping out a lot, which I *think* was because it was up near 860, so it was seeing higher loss. An amp fixed it. The farther up you push, the more loss you get, and more you need amps and the more you need to re-do wiring.

That leaves MPEG-4, which would work well, especially given their focus on VOD, as if they leverage it 5:3 (although knowing them they would go 6:3), they not only get more linear channels, but they get more VOD capacity on fewer QAM's, which helps their goals with XOD, which is a major focus for them on the video side.

The TiVo Series 3 support MPEG-4, but due to software limitations, the US model DOES NOT work with MPEG-4 through CableCard, so you're SOL on Verizon. The Premiere works with MPEG-4 through CableCard.

You can only run up to 860 for linear video, but you can put VOD for company-owned boxes (i.e. most of them), and DOCSIS 3 between 860 and 1000, so if you're smart, you put most of your VOD and DOCSIS up there to free up room for other stuff below 860.

MPEG-4 is a much more logical step than SDV. You can keep the simplicity of a linear system for linear channels, and reap the benefits of better quality AND more capacity.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by BiggA:

1GHZ is the max for cable systems. DirecTV uses frequencies up to 2200mhz in the house, but that's over a much shorter run.

Comcast doesn't seem to like SDV, and given their openness to CableCard (once they get their almost-box-fee of course), I doubt that would be their first option. MPEG-4 makes the most sense, as you can swap out a small proportion of boxes over a phase-in period, and you get huge gains without splitting nodes, which SDV depends on. However, they would need very few tuning adapters, as once the whole TiVo-VOD thing finishes rolling out, all those boxes could also control SDV through software with minor software changes, as opposed to through the TAs.

I don't think they want to go over 860, and I have a suspicion it has to do with inside wiring. The higher you push the frequencies, the more issues you have. For example, at my parents' house, everything was working great until they added more HDs, and one of the newer ones, SNY, was dropping out a lot, which I *think* was because it was up near 860, so it was seeing higher loss. An amp fixed it. The farther up you push, the more loss you get, and more you need amps and the more you need to re-do wiring.

That leaves MPEG-4, which would work well, especially given their focus on VOD, as if they leverage it 5:3 (although knowing them they would go 6:3), they not only get more linear channels, but they get more VOD capacity on fewer QAM's, which helps their goals with XOD, which is a major focus for them on the video side.

The TiVo Series 3 support MPEG-4, but due to software limitations, the US model DOES NOT work with MPEG-4 through CableCard, so you're SOL on Verizon. The Premiere works with MPEG-4 through CableCard.

You can only run up to 860 for linear video, but you can put VOD for company-owned boxes (i.e. most of them), and DOCSIS 3 between 860 and 1000, so if you're smart, you put most of your VOD and DOCSIS up there to free up room for other stuff below 860.

MPEG-4 is a much more logical step than SDV. You can keep the simplicity of a linear system for linear channels, and reap the benefits of better quality AND more capacity.

actually the only people that are affected by SDV are the people with third party devices and a small few of them complain about the adapters and it is a tivo issue and all of the other tuners work fine with it. Also SDV is a very good system once it is fully implemented and all of the kinks are worked out. Also nodes do have to have smaller service groups but with SDV I have heard that more than one node shares a pool of QAMs that is dedicated to SDV so there is not a 1:1 ratio of SDV QAM to node like there is for DOCSIS. Also TWC uses MPEG4 on some channels using SDV: ESPN3D, GAME 1-9 HD, and TEAM 1-9 HD in markets that carry the channels except that GAME 1-2 HD and TEAM HD are not MPEG4 in markets that do not carry all TEAM/GAME HD channels.

Right now TWC is dedicating 20 to 24 SDV QAMs per service group depending on system in most cases some areas are still at 16 QAMs per service group but they are going to 20 or 24 QAMs for SDV per service group as TWC axes analogs. TWC NYC and parts of LA have lower amounts of SDV QAMs due to no expanded basic analogs.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
I think SDV is a good idea, but it has to be carefully done. First question is, do the tuning adapters support more than 2 streams at the same time? Do they work with Ceton or Silicon Dust cable card powered media center PC?

What about doing HD-DTA's? Do HD-DTA's support the request for channel messages back to the headend? I don't think they are two-way and thats part of the reason why they are so much cheaper.

So say you issue HD-DTA's and you want to offer your standard lineup ch 2-100 but with an HD-DTA you decide to auto-map the HD version of all available HD channels in that 2-100 range to make things easier for the grannies, small children, housewives and idiots. Well you wouldn't be able to put those 90 or so HD's in SDV if the HD-DTA doesn't support it. Or you couldn't put the SD version of those in SDV because the SD-DTA's wouldn't support it.

IMO SDV would work great for premiums like multi screens of HD for HBO, Max, Showtime, TMC, Starz, Encore, etc... It would work good for sports packages in 100% HD like MLB, NHL, NFL Sunday Ticket (if DirecTV ever loses exclusivity on it). It would work well for multiple language tiers like Spanish, Russian, Asian, European, etc... You give a reason for customers to upgrade to a box that can do MPEG4, 1GHz, SDV. Your majority who doesn't subscribe to ethnic packages, premiums or sports packages won't miss a beat.

I'm not sure what Blue Ridge Cable in Northeast PA runs, but the diagnostics for some of those secondary+ premium's listed 903 MHz in the Passport echo diagnostic channel. Though hub id 18 where I was did not have them fully setup whereas in Ephrata PA, those channels are all configured.

I would use 870-1GHz for DOCSIS, VOD and ethnic packages. Perhaps run DOCSIS on RF ch 135-142 so you still have one channel for 2.0 modems that can't go over 864 MHz. That would be simular to bandwidth FIOS offers since they have 870MHz of plant off the ONT but no bandwidth on that 870 MHz swath is wasted for the purpose of "DOCSIS" or VOD.

Or maybe just run business class internet in the 870-1GHz range. MetroE, virtual private lines, and all of that good stuff. Businesses get first class attention so the installers would be sure to check line quality at those frequencies for the people paying for SLA's.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to motorola870

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

actually the only people that are affected by SDV are the people with third party devices and a small few of them complain about the adapters and it is a tivo issue and all of the other tuners work fine with it.

Wrong - most of the problems with SDV on third-party tuners are due to crappy TA firmware, not Tivo, Ceton, or SiliconDust tuner implementations. The FCC had to beat on the MSOs to get them to allow up to 6 streams with the TAs to match CableCard, frex.

Doesn't matter anyway, Comcast is not going to do SDV - the real answer is IPTV and mpeg4 in future anyway, not a bandaid like SDV. There's no need to spend the money for a halfway measure.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

said by GTFan:

said by motorola870:

actually the only people that are affected by SDV are the people with third party devices and a small few of them complain about the adapters and it is a tivo issue and all of the other tuners work fine with it.

Wrong - most of the problems with SDV on third-party tuners are due to crappy TA firmware, not Tivo, Ceton, or SiliconDust tuner implementations. The FCC had to beat on the MSOs to get them to allow up to 6 streams with the TAs to match CableCard, frex.

Doesn't matter anyway, Comcast is not going to do SDV - the real answer is IPTV and mpeg4 in future anyway, not a bandaid like SDV. There's no need to spend the money for a halfway measure.

The Cisco PSK908 CableCARD supports up to 8 streams. Don't know when or if a MSO will ever let it see the light of implementation.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
The support for SDV is sort of a nightmare, and it requires node splitting to be effective. It's a poor choice when they could use MPEG-4 instead, which is pretty much standard on all video except for cable. If they have to, they could do SDV, but that should be after everything is MPEG-4.

Running SDV on a system with analog is idiotic. Analog is an obvious thing to get rid of. I'd say it makes sense, in order to:

1. Analog reclamation
2. MPEG-4
3. 1 GHZ
4. SDV

The ultimate would be all of those, although with even an 860mhz system with all MPEG-4 HDs, I'm not sure you'd need SDV to carry more HD than pretty much any of the competitors.

I don't think DTAs are made to handle higher-up channels, just expanded basic. DTA are an idiotic technology, as they aren't DVRs, and thus are pretty worthless.

The advantage you do get out of SDV is that you have an unlimited channel capacity if your nodes are small enough...

Running DOCSIS with one channel below 860 makes sense.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to motorola870

to motorola870
If there was a way to use SDV without it causing channels to not be available at any given time, and not cause a prompt to appear on screen to "press any button to continue watching" then maybe it would have a future, but till then most are going to be against it. I agree with BiggA that SDV should be the last resort when there is no other choice and all technological options both present and future have been utilized.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to BiggA

to BiggA
What is the status of the various TiVo series supporting 1GHz and above frequencies?

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to BiggA

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

The support for SDV is sort of a nightmare, and it requires node splitting to be effective. It's a poor choice when they could use MPEG-4 instead, which is pretty much standard on all video except for cable. If they have to, they could do SDV, but that should be after everything is MPEG-4.

Running SDV on a system with analog is idiotic. Analog is an obvious thing to get rid of. I'd say it makes sense, in order to:

1. Analog reclamation
2. MPEG-4
3. 1 GHZ
4. SDV

The ultimate would be all of those, although with even an 860mhz system with all MPEG-4 HDs, I'm not sure you'd need SDV to carry more HD than pretty much any of the competitors.

I don't think DTAs are made to handle higher-up channels, just expanded basic. DTA are an idiotic technology, as they aren't DVRs, and thus are pretty worthless.

The advantage you do get out of SDV is that you have an unlimited channel capacity if your nodes are small enough...

Running DOCSIS with one channel below 860 makes sense.

Time Warner Cable is actually actively deploying HD-DTAs in the field in a few system and they are slowly removing analogs at the same time in areas that have SDV.

The system I am on has:

144 HD channels
60 analogs soon to 59 analogs when a channel that says to get this channel please get an digital adapter or cable box is taken down.
860MHz of bandwidth
6 DOCSIS channels soon to be 8 DOCSIS channels
24 QAMs for SDV
8 VOD QAMs

The TWC system I am has removed these analogs while having SDV deployed as well:
CSPAN
CSPAN 2
CSPAN 3
TXCN
EWTN
WGN America
G4
Government Access
Public Access
Educational Access 1
Educational Access 2
Educational Access 3

and they removed these analogs before SDV was implemented:
CMT
truTV
Oxygen
Daystar
Style
ABC family

I rarely have any problems with SDV as we have enough QAMs dedicated to SDV to not have tuning problems.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Apparently all but a few of the oldest S3s work up to 1ghz. Cable ends at 1ghz, there is nothing that works with higher frequencies.
BiggA

BiggA to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
I'm surprised that TWC has anything in analog, I thought they were the first to dump analog completely? Any system with analogs is living in the past, even Comcast's incredibly slow upgrade process has finally gotten rid of analogs over their entire system. Analog makes no sense: you can put 3 HD's (I wish 2...) on for every analog you remove, and if you move to MPEG-4, now you're looking at probably 5 HD's.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
I think rogers cable and other ontario uses SDV and they have the super sports with up to 23 HD channels for stuff like NHL CI, NFL ST and others.

Shaw cable uses MPEG 4 for NHL CI HD (up to 15 HD feeds) and NFL ST HD (up to 15 Feeds) and other channels??

Now at the very lest can comcast do a limited SDV where they trun off VOD slots for part time stuff like RSN overflows, red zone, goal line / espn buzzer beater, game 1-9 HD, team 1-9 HD, and others.

Also maybe down the road iN DEMAND can have the very part time HD PPV 2 come back also maybe add TEAM 10 HD and GAME 10-14 HD.

ESPN Game Plan HD Full Court HD soon?

att-uverse has 10 HD channels for NBA LP. Directv has DUAL HD feeds for most NBA, NHL, and MLB games.

Now in the past comcast talked about wanting NFL ST (I think the last time was 2-3 years ago when they talked about swapping NFL ST for CSN Philly) on directv

and now maybe in 2015 directv may not be the only place to get NFL ST in the USA.
Joe12345678

Joe12345678 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
Now lets say comcast or others wants to make a move into the bar scene that directv has lock on due to NFL ST and to a lesser part most NBA, NHL and MLB games in HD.

can a sdv system drive a bar useing say 8-15+ part time lower use channels? will others on the same node find them self's unable to use VOD for prime sports time?

On directv the NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS feeds are mostly RSN remaps that are up 24/7 + the few part time Rsn over flows and sub feeds.

But to fit in NFL ST + other part time RSN needs they need to shut down most of the PPV movie HD channels. But then again they have like 34 HD ppv channels that is used to fill part time needs and when they are not needed for part time stuff they run PPV movies on them.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
More than likely the usual will happen. They will wait out everyone else on their roll out then take the most obscure way possible to deploy what ever they got coming next.

You have to keep in mind that it's not really about doing what they can to fit customers wants/needs. It's about giving as little as possible but just enough to keep customers mouths shut while charging the most they can possibly get away with.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
Joe, the problem is , who exactly determines what channels are "part time lower use channels" What I watch on television all the time is different then what someone else may watch on television all the time.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Whatever has terrible ratings. There's data out there on what people don't watch.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Joe, the problem is , who exactly determines what channels are "part time lower use channels" What I watch on television all the time is different then what someone else may watch on television all the time.

it is all software based they poll the boxes and overall the channels that have the least viewing will be switched and if the cable company needs room to add more SDV channels they move more channels that are least viewed.

The system I am on switches everything except for:

2-99 digital simulcast
local HD/sub channels
music choice
National Geographic
We TV
LMN
PBS Kids Sprout
Boomerang
AMC
Hallmark
OWN
Youtoo TV
ZEE TV
TV Asia
Cartoon Network SAP
Mun 2
Tr3s
HBO
Showtime
Cinemax
Starz
The Movie Channel
Big 12 PPV
FSN+
Shop NBC
GAC
TEN PPV
Playboy Premium
Penthouse PPV
Indemand 1
Indemand 2
HDPPV
Discovery Channel HD
TNT HD
ESPN HD
ESPN 2 HD
HBO HD
Showtime HD
motorola870

motorola870 to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

Now lets say comcast or others wants to make a move into the bar scene that directv has lock on due to NFL ST and to a lesser part most NBA, NHL and MLB games in HD.

can a sdv system drive a bar useing say 8-15+ part time lower use channels? will others on the same node find them self's unable to use VOD for prime sports time?

On directv the NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS feeds are mostly RSN remaps that are up 24/7 + the few part time Rsn over flows and sub feeds.

But to fit in NFL ST + other part time RSN needs they need to shut down most of the PPV movie HD channels. But then again they have like 34 HD ppv channels that is used to fill part time needs and when they are not needed for part time stuff they run PPV movies on them.

VOD and SDV are two different things and TWC in most systems has two different separate pools of QAMs for SDV and VOD they do not affect each other in most cases there are a very small amount of TWC systems where VOD and SDV share QAM carriers but it is not like that in most systems.

Also the max loading TWC does for any SDV QAM is:

3 HD channels
2 HD channels + 2 or 3 SD channels
1 HD channel + 6 SD channels
10 SD channels

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to BiggA

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

Whatever has terrible ratings. There's data out there on what people don't watch.

Yeah that's why a boat load of popular shows get cancelled every year...that's a flawed method.
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
Talking about part time sports feeds that are not 24/7 channels. Better to switch them then to fill them with looping help videos or a logo screen when off air.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Or they could use actual data from the boxes of what people are watching...
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

said by BiggA:

Yeah that's why a boat load of popular shows get cancelled every year...that's a flawed method.

shows that get good ratings get more advertising dollars and don't get cancelled.

Shows that aren't watched or that cost more to produce than what they bring in in ad revenue get cancelled. That is the current business of television.

The most popular shows usually don't get cancelled.
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to motorola870

to motorola870
but can they say trun off 13-15 VOD slots to fit in NFL ST that is only needed 1 day of the week for part of the year? or they can cheap out and trun off the team HD and game HD channels to fit it in. (lets just say we see little change in cable systems over the next few years) and maybe NFL ST is open to all but not in the hands of in demand.
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

RalphKramden

said by Joe12345678:

but can they say trun off 13-15 VOD slots to fit in NFL ST that is only needed 1 day of the week for part of the year? or they can cheap out and trun off the team HD and game HD channels to fit it in.

I would bet that Comcast Having Sunday Ticket has nothing to do with fitting it in. If they think they can make money with ST, the next time the contact is up for bid, they will pay what the NFL is asking and make it work. More likely a business decision and not a bandwidth issue.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
Couldn't they give it fixed channel numbers and then turn the channels on and off as they have programming on them, without using SDV? So that if you're tuning on a day that they don't have anything on, you just get an error?
Joe12345678
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

I talking about bandwidth fixed channel numbers is not the issues. Can they say trun off VOD slots to fit it in or do need to have 13-15 HD slots + 13-15 SD slots (may be able to go HD only) be tied up with a NFL ST LOGO screen most of the time?

Look at info channel HD most of the time it's just a looping help video when it's not needed for CSN + HD. Now it's other question as to why it's be used for CLTV HD mirroring CLTV SD / CSN + SD that dates back the old analog days when it was CLTV and sports channel + / FSN + sheering a channel.

I would think by the time that analog was turned off that CLTV and CSN + would no longer need to be on the same channel and that was some time befor there was a CLTV HD.

CSN + HD and MOJO HD used to share the slot (comcast only) other systems had CSN + HD on it's own as CSN + SD on it's own (they did not have CLTV)

That does not bold to well if they can't get that right that they will be able to pull off NFL ST. Hell they don't even have goal line HD or big ten alts in HD (other cable systems do) but they do have red zone HD what are they doing with it's bandwidth then it's not needed. Now it's one thing to have 1 HD / 1 SD very part time channel but 13-15?? maybe more if in HD and SD.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to The Q

to The Q
Not always, if the show decides to "go out on top" when the ratings are good but the cast or producers want to end the show. Anyway this is all irrelevant to the topic.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

I talking about bandwidth fixed channel numbers is not the issues. Can they say trun off VOD slots to fit it in or do need to have 13-15 HD slots + 13-15 SD slots (may be able to go HD only) be tied up with a NFL ST LOGO screen most of the time?

Look at info channel HD most of the time it's just a looping help video when it's not needed for CSN + HD. Now it's other question as to why it's be used for CLTV HD mirroring CLTV SD / CSN + SD that dates back the old analog days when it was CLTV and sports channel + / FSN + sheering a channel.

I would think by the time that analog was turned off that CLTV and CSN + would no longer need to be on the same channel and that was some time befor there was a CLTV HD.

CSN + HD and MOJO HD used to share the slot (comcast only) other systems had CSN + HD on it's own as CSN + SD on it's own (they did not have CLTV)

That does not bold to well if they can't get that right that they will be able to pull off NFL ST. Hell they don't even have goal line HD or big ten alts in HD (other cable systems do) but they do have red zone HD what are they doing with it's bandwidth then it's not needed. Now it's one thing to have 1 HD / 1 SD very part time channel but 13-15?? maybe more if in HD and SD.

once more you can't steal QAM spots from VOD a that bandwidth is dedicated to movies and shows that on the VOD server you can't just add and take away from the VOD QAM pool. Plus 1 QAM has room for 10 SD programs for VOD. Using 1 or 2 QAMs is not going to kill anything for season ticket. It would be better that if a cable company did get season ticket that they use SDV as the channels will only be on when someone tunes into the channel.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Joe12345678

MVM

to Joe12345678
If NFL ST does come to CC, then they could just make it MPEG4. Its a new package that "in order to get NFL Sunday Ticket, please upgrade to a new cable box". Only those that can afford to subscribe to that package would maybe need to swap out a box (likely they already have a box).

Most NFL ST customers would be new people signing up anyway. NFL ST would bring in a lot of new subscribers and they would just be given an MPEG4 set top from day one.

So you would only need 3 QAM's. 5 HD, 5 HD, 5 HD. Make it HD only because HD boxes can send a down converted SD signal for those who need it. NFL sports nuts who pay the $300 a season or whatever likely have a big HDTV anyway. If they can afford that cost for NFL and are that die hard into it, you bet they have at least an HDTV and maybe even surround sound.

What I'm saying is any particular new or niche package should be migrated to MPEG4. Its the easiest way to start a transition.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

1 edit

Cthen to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Not always, if the show decides to "go out on top" when the ratings are good but the cast or producers want to end the show. Anyway this is all irrelevant to the topic.

That's how some series shows I used to watch ended. One of them kept going on top every season but at the same time, most of the cast wanted to pursue other things and couldn't do a lot outside of the series due to it's work load.

Another fine example of that is the show Home Improvement. Tim Allen was offered $50 million per episode by the ABC network to keep the show going rather than ending it due to it's popularity. After talking it over with other cast members he still decided to end it so him and other cast members could go on to other projects or in some cases, some cast members decided to retire after a good long run like that.

EDIT:
Also keep in mind that some die out due to greed as well. Some shows will start out on their way to the top or make it to the top quickly. Some times actors/actresses get to big for their britches and will demand more money than what can be afforded with no bending or compromise in sight. In a lot of those cases you just can't swap out one person for another to play that role after some one has well established themselves in that role. So the only logical choice there is to just end it.