how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

I need some help and recommendations

big question about windows security software.
Windows 7 64 bit and I run malware bytes each weekend and let it check my computer.
Never finds anything.
Well child was messing on my computer and this weekend malware finds some files.
The thing that got me was as soon at it identified a file, windows security pops up and screams look what I found.
WAIT you were running when this file got put on my computer.
So is winders worth a damn at detecting anything?
I guess I need to install something that will find this stuff as it happens, a replacement for winders security.
What do I need that is not going to take gigs of memory and won't slow down this computer when playing online games.

like I said how can it let this stuff on my computer and when another piece of software detects something it then says it detected something.

I need something but don't know what. It seems that in the past, oh this is great and free and very little resources. Next year its bloat ware that couldn't detect a cold.
Has this become the norm ?

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by sparks:

Well child was messing on my computer and this weekend malware finds some files.

Child should be logged in as a limited user. Child should not know the Admin password, so should not be able to approve escalation, even if prompted.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3 RC2; firefox 19.0

DasGoat

join:2013-02-12
Charleston, WV
reply to sparks

Also, if you have no need for Java or Adobe Reader/Flash then uninstall them. Use Chrome.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to sparks

sparks, you got things backwards.. you should be scanning your computer with MS's "security essentials" rather than relying on "malwarebytes" to detect malware on your computer..

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to sparks

said by sparks:

What do I need that is not going to take gigs of memory and won't slow down this computer when playing online games.

Well, now, there's your problem right there.

Get a cheap old box and use that for your online games. Or run your games in a VMware instance.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to sparks

MWB and MSE are two different things. They don't necessarily detect the same things. Hence the reason for layered security. No AV is going to catch everything.

If you want the real time security of both, pay for MWB and get the real time protection.

Also, online game sites are often hinky, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

If the child MUST play online games, try something like Sandboxie.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

sparks

Little Rock, AR

What I could not understand is if mse knew the program when malwarebytes found it why didn't it say something when it was downloaded or self installed.

Bach
Premium
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

Is it possible the child temporarily disabled MSE to permit the malware to install?

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to sparks

said by sparks:

What I could not understand is if mse knew the program when malwarebytes found it why didn't it say something when it was downloaded or self installed.

Don't know. Maybe the bad file(s) were included in an MSE update AFTER it was put on the computer?

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to sparks

said by sparks:

'no telling.. if av-programs were perfect at preventing malware-infections, you would never hear of anyone's computer ever being infected with any malware..

i will tell you something.. i believe that you can have more up-to-date malware-definitions, for better protection, by manually updating MS's "security essentials" yourself..

i don't use MS's "security essentials" but i have used MS's "windows defender" and i found that using the program's updater would not download the most up-to-date malware definitions-and, so, i would update the program manually.. you can look into that yourself.. just run the updater to get the (supposedly) most up-to-date malware definitions, then check the MS website to see if you have the latest, most up-to-date malware-definitions..

here is the webpage for downloading, and, then, manually installing the latest, most up-to-date malware-definitions for MS's "security essentials" program:

»www.microsoft.com/security/porta···mse.aspx

the malware-definitions for MS's "security essentials" program are updated several times a day, every day.. so, you could check for updates about every 4 hours..

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to sparks

said by sparks:

Maybe because if it's just sitting there doing nothing, no-one's looking at it and in any case it does no harm.

But Malware Bytes must open the file to scan it, and that causes the real-time MSE check to get triggered to look at the file that's being opened.

sparks

Little Rock, AR

I forgot to say it was this program that was found.
Trojan:Win32/Reveton.P
I am just lucky that malwarebytes fond it.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

That thing basically operates in a single user account, so you can clean it up by logging in with a different account. Which is just one more reason why there should be different accounts for different people. And 'limited accounts' for most of them.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

Yep, LUA's most definitely.